PDA

View Full Version : 85 silver resto project. One for the brave!

Master-B
12th April 2016, 03:54 PM
http://autoshite.com/index.php?/topic/24257-Toyota-MR2-Mk1a-1985-for-resto-spares/repairs-£500,-Halifax

Martin42006
12th April 2016, 04:22 PM
Ooh i might have to take a quick trip to halifax this weekend for a look ;)

adamstanford
12th April 2016, 05:07 PM
Price is a touch fruity I think for something that hasn't been on the road for such a long time. But it is a desirable car.

MylesHSG
12th April 2016, 05:23 PM
And in the best colour too! Hope we can get another Mk1a on the road!

reanimation
14th April 2016, 02:57 PM
Hiya everyone,
This is my Mk1a, I had planned to get round to fixing it up. I part restored a Mk1b a few years ago, sold that and bought this to fix up along with my other old cars, I lost my last storage, then had a traffic accident on my bicycle, derailing another year. losing this storage now I want to liberate the car to an enthusiast. If anyone is seriously interested in taking it on I'll listen to sensible offers from reliable enthusiasts. I think It's worth around what I'm asking but as you know if they are too cheap they may get broken for parts or even banger raced? If you're interested, give me a shout. Cheers :)

MylesHSG
14th April 2016, 06:35 PM
Banger raced? God forbid! :eek:

reanimation
14th April 2016, 07:56 PM
Banger raced? God forbid! :eek:

Sorry to throw that in there but it did share storage with a racer for a while I got to see the diverse vehicles he collected.

Martin42006
14th April 2016, 08:14 PM
The bottom of the sill to rear arch looks very square whereas mine is curved. Is this a difference in the models or a bodjed repair to the sills

mk1 dal
15th April 2016, 01:06 AM
ONE for the stupid , its not worth £500 break it mate , i wouldn't want anyone to waste money doing that mk1 up its to far gone .

reanimation
15th April 2016, 06:56 PM
The bottom of the sill to rear arch looks very square whereas mine is curved. Is this a difference in the models or a bodjed repair to the sills

Where the rear valance meets the rear wheel arch on near side? Yes it's had a DIY repair. When I did my 1b I used parts sourced through the club, this person made something random. For its age it's had bits of work done and finished reasonable these bits prob need cleaning up and checking poss redoing.

reanimation
15th April 2016, 06:58 PM
I've had a brutal offer today for breaking it. Seems a pity it's a rare car now. As said previously I'd entertain reasonable offers.

reanimation
17th April 2016, 01:59 PM
Still available, possibly going to break/scrap/ race now. I'm adjusting prices to £295 Ono then moving on with it

adamstanford
17th April 2016, 05:53 PM
I paid less for a much better nick mk1b. Sorry to tell you this, but yours has a little more desirability and mine is yellow, but for me that's perfect. I like it. When it's done up it'll be worth a heap more, but equally it will be a heap of work to sort it out.

cchrysos
18th April 2016, 07:16 AM
This doesn't seem bad value at all if you ask me.
There are very few mk1a cars around to restore,especially ones that have not had body kits added, steering wheels changed etc etc.
The big question is whether it is restorable or not. If someone decides to take this on and has the means to get it home, whether they paid £295 or £50 will soon be immaterial.

At this level the price is only going to be relevant if it is going to be broken up IMO. If breakers can be discouraged by not giving these cars away and giving restorers a chance, I'm all for it.

Good luck with the sale. I hope someone buys it to restore.

Chrys

cchrysos
18th April 2016, 07:22 AM
I paid less for a much better nick mk1b. Sorry to tell you this, but yours has a little more desirability and mine is yellow, but for me that's perfect. I like it. When it's done up it'll be worth a heap more, but equally it will be a heap of work to sort it out.

Yea but that wasn't the true value of the car (hopefully). Let's face it, the chairman of this club sold that car for much more only a few weeks before.

adamstanford
18th April 2016, 07:23 AM
I definitely think it's worth saving as opposed to breaking. If I had time, space and spare money for a 3Rd I would buy it with intention of restoring it, maybe even a candidate for an engine conversion.. But the person for this is out there I'm sure..
However such a person willing to take on such work isn't likely to pay £300 for it, it would have to be a labour of love more than a vision for profit. So really scrap value, without being scrapped ideally.

adamstanford
18th April 2016, 07:27 AM
That is true cchrysos in my view I got a great deal on it. But it's for me, I like it, it won't be worth much more than what I put into it at the end. And if you factor in the cost of having a bodyshop do it then you're talking a loss. I know the pictures look good and it's a good runner etc, but there's plenty of ugly that'll suck my wallet dry in parts and unforseen crap, as my above post.. It's purely a labour of love, it's because I personally want the car, if I was doing it up to sell it won't be making me any money.

AW11mike
18th April 2016, 07:28 AM
Going to view it this week.

cchrysos
18th April 2016, 07:32 AM
Going to view it this week.

Good luck Mike. I hope it's worth doing.

Cheers

AW11mike
18th April 2016, 07:36 AM
A friend of mine is interested, he has already booked transport. It will be fixed if bought :)

cchrysos
18th April 2016, 07:42 AM
At present, none of these cars can make money if done properly.
Mine will have cost thousands more than it will be worth when done....and mine is one of the rarest, most desirable models.

Those that can do all the work themselves may end up with more money in their pocket than they started with but if you apply ANY value to the time applied, it would be a loss. They have to be done for love, enjoyment, practice and the joy of having a great (but undervalued) car at the end of it.

This silver car will require lots of work by the look of it, but will be a rare cracker at the end of it. Probably Only 6 or 7 silver mk1a cars left in this country.

AW11mike
18th April 2016, 07:47 AM
The supercharger we done was in worse condition, it had no rear quarters and no floor. Will be fun:)

reanimation
18th April 2016, 12:51 PM
This doesn't seem bad value at all if you ask me.
There are very few mk1a cars around to restore,especially ones that have not had body kits added, steering wheels changed etc etc.
The big question is whether it is restorable or not. If someone decides to take this on and has the means to get it home, whether they paid £295 or £50 will soon be immaterial.

At this level the price is only going to be relevant if it is going to be broken up IMO. If breakers can be discouraged by not giving these cars away and giving restorers a chance, I'm all for it.

Good luck with the sale. I hope someone buys it to restore.

Chrys

Thank you!!!

My thoughts exactly.

I was convinced there would be some MR2 fans interested in saving this, It very almost went to a breaker, and after a very much wasted day yesterday, I was, and still am considering butchering and breaking it myself.
Ideal situation is that someone buys it and tows it away this coming weekend.
if it doesn't I'll have to pay and move location then consider breaking and selling bits, i'd rather not though. I almost considered calling my racing mate who helped me with it in the first place, see if he was interested in .

I have some good interest now with this price. There are some a few people interested one of which Mikes mate. :)
As stated it's now priced as a breaker, so spares or repairs. Thanks again for interesting discussion :)

reanimation
18th April 2016, 08:02 PM
At present, none of these cars can make money if done properly.
Mine will have cost thousands more than it will be worth when done....and mine is one of the rarest, most desirable models.

Those that can do all the work themselves may end up with more money in their pocket than they started with but if you apply ANY value to the time applied, it would be a loss. They have to be done for love, enjoyment, practice and the joy of having a great (but undervalued) car at the end of it.

This silver car will require lots of work by the look of it, but will be a rare cracker at the end of it. Probably Only 6 or 7 silver mk1a cars left in this country.

I must say, another brilliant post. While I've had this, I've also had a mk5 Ford Cortina. I ended up with 2 years of work. More probably its ongoing. A bill for pro welding to finish that off and some new parts and wonder why I'm well into 4 figures with it and it's still only a 1.6GL! Well after not giving up I have a low mileage car that I have restored and can be proud of, it even buffs up pretty well too. Also although not really rare it's come of age and actually worth what I have invested in it and going up budgeting has been easy though as I've effectively paid for it in bits over a long time rather than lump sum.. This mk1 a will be the same just a very rare head turner classic that's fun to drive.

Edit: oh and I've learnt a lot fixing up my old cars and met some good people through it too.