PDA

View Full Version : Spares or Repair- quick sale please.

Crossle
1st April 2016, 01:16 PM
Very long story with this one which I wont go totally into. Bought this Yellow car off Tom on here. Needed alot of bodywork doing to it so sent it to a guy that was recommended to me. Once I sent the car i heard from a number of locals thats the guy is in financial problems so went over to him and said- go ahead with the job but no money will be put down until the car is fully restored. A month down the line and the guy is asking me for money and hasnt done anything to the car other than take bits off it in preparation. I said enough is enough and have pulled the car out of there and just want to get shot of it now to be honest. Not one of my most successful buys I have to admit. The car cost me £800 by the time I paid to get it delivered so its going to be a loss for me no what ever I do with it so spares or repair- make me an offer.

I am sure Tom will confirm mechanically it is sound other than tick over is erratic and the battery has had it. When jumped it starts no problem and I did drive it a few miles up the road before it was stripped down. Bodywork wise it needs light sill repair, A pillar repair, wings, and front valances. All the parts are inside the car that have been taken off other than the front splitter and valance mounting brackets which just snapped when removed. Floors and bulk head all seem ok. The car has three alloy wheels and one standard tear drop. I dont really no an awful lot about the car other than this information as I bought it and sent it away for restoration after only having it at home for a few weeks.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2016/04/IMAG1300-1.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/user/ff2000/media/IMAG1300.jpg.html)

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2016/04/IMAG1301-1.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/user/ff2000/media/IMAG1301.jpg.html)

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2016/04/IMAG1302-1.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/user/ff2000/media/IMAG1302.jpg.html)

adamstanford
1st April 2016, 05:46 PM
Rare to see a mk1 where you can honestly see its rust laid out lol. If you still have this when I move house (probably 8 weeks or so unfortunately thanks to my slow solicitors, every time a day ends in a 'y' they seem to all f**k off on holiday) then I'd be tempted to offer on this. As I kinda like the yellow vibe. But don't hang on to it for me by any means.

MylesHSG
1st April 2016, 06:23 PM
If it's a blue interior and you break it yourself Id be interested in a few pieces.

Deadly_smell
2nd April 2016, 06:21 AM
year, mileage any history, last MOT advisories etc. would help

Crossle
2nd April 2016, 07:51 AM
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread.php?17278-Toyota-MR2-Mk1-1989-Yellow-111k-miles-%A3795-ono-**-SOLD-**

All details on link above. This is the advert I bought it from a few months ago.

Won't be doing any breaking myself. Have no time, no room to store it. If it's still here next weekend I will get the local scrappy to come and collect it which will be a shame. It's in my car park at work at the moment which is in the middle of an industrial estate gypos poke around on so it might well be stripped for me by the time Monday comes!

adamstanford
2nd April 2016, 01:13 PM
Aren't scrap cars only fetching like £20???

Master-B
2nd April 2016, 07:22 PM
Aren't scrap cars only fetching like £20???
Yeah the price of scrap is on its arse right now.

mk1 dal
2nd April 2016, 08:07 PM
I'M very tempted to buy this and return it back to mica blue . i can see its no where near beyond repair in the pics and just your usual mk1 rot spots .Pm what you want for it .

Gary .

Crossle
2nd April 2016, 08:54 PM
Yes totally agree, it's not beyond normal rust. It would have been back to mica blue had I not chosen the wrong place to send it to. It's lowish miles and drives so no reason why you couldn't get it going. My restrictions are firstly time ( working 12 hour days at the moment) and secondly I have sod all capability interms of bodywork restoration. Someone with a bit of no know how could make good money out of this.

It's gone a bit above the scrap yard now! My old man said if it doesn't sell he will have it, get it restored and sell it. It will be for sale for one week before he takes it on

adamstanford
2nd April 2016, 11:18 PM
Best of luck to whoever gets this. In my mind I'd keep the yellow and fix the rot.

mk1 dal
3rd April 2016, 09:02 PM
I have decided not to buy it not because it cant be saved its such an easy project to fix and at the price he wants i'm being stupid not buying it but i would like to see a mk1 member buy this without a mk1 and restore it .

superwhite90
4th April 2016, 10:21 AM
I'll be looking for something like this in September :(

Crossle
6th April 2016, 11:00 AM
Sold

Really wanted to sell it to someone on the club so as not to potentially waste a MK1 restoration but no interest no here so had to put it on ebay. one of the spares dealers has bought it so suspect it could be pulled apart for spares- shame

tommundy
6th April 2016, 11:46 AM
Darnit, sent you a PM.

Was hoping it would be up for sale for at least a week.

MylesHSG
6th April 2016, 12:04 PM
One less MK1 on the road :-:

mk1 dal
6th April 2016, 01:22 PM
You snooze you lose , its worth more money broke tbh the engine will fetch £500 alone . I wont be buying any more to restore the red one is my last .

Gilles27
6th April 2016, 01:38 PM
I wont be buying any more to restore the red one is my last .

Why's that Gary? Seems a shame.

mk1 dal
6th April 2016, 03:03 PM
Time for a change in projects .

Vistalite
6th April 2016, 03:54 PM
Time for a change in projects .

A Lotus by any chance ;-)

Crossle
6th April 2016, 08:29 PM
It went for 260 in the end but the buyer hasn't bothered to get in touch since he won the eBay listing so never know it might fall through.

Like I say it was not my intentions to sell it for scrap which is why I only advertised it on here first not eBay. Unfortunately I haven't got the luxury of time as it's sitting in the way in a parking space at work and I need it shifting

adamstanford
7th April 2016, 08:45 AM
Bloody 260, it's a crime! Haha. Let us know how you get on with moving it on. How are you finding the other one you bought?

Crossle
7th April 2016, 12:24 PM
Who would have thought a car at give away money would be so hard to get shot of! All I want is the bloody thing out my way and its being everything but straight forward. I cant get a response from the guy thats won the ebay listing at all so I am inclined to say who ever gets here with cash first can have the car. Not interested in I will have it in a months this time when I have the space etc- its cheap, you wont lost money on it and I need it gone so anyone interested get up to MK with 250 and you can have it.

Yes love the White one thanks Adam. The main issue with that one is I am too much of a nancy with it, I love it too much to use it! Start slowing right down if there is a puddle in the road etc. I am now going to buy a car of some sort thats a similar age that I care slightly less about to use as an every day car. Might get a MK2 MR2 or something. Do love it to bits though and great fun to drive. Took it to its first classic show last weekend. I was the only one there in any sort of MR2 which I was surprised about. Was a bit frustrating really, eveyone walking round was more intent on asking the bloke parked next to me about his heap of junk 2CV and mine didnt get much attention which I was incredulous at but each to their own!

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2016/04/47-1.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/user/ff2000/media/47.jpg.html)
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2016/04/IMAG1308-1.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/user/ff2000/media/IMAG1308.jpg.html)

adamstanford
7th April 2016, 02:23 PM
Mine gets driven like the beast that it wants to be! Just remember it is a toyota! Haha

Crossle
7th April 2016, 03:02 PM
Yes I am one of these sad people that the enjoyment of owning a car like this is in cleaning it and keeping it mint rather than driving it really. I raced single seater race cars for 17 years so I've had enough years of driving things hard and more want this as a show car really. Mind you rather stupidly being protective over it at the weekend on the way home I went and got the throttle pedal stuck under the Matt and as I went to change gear the poor old girl was smashing the hell out of the rev limiter before I was able to hook my toe under the pedal and bring it back up!

Vistalite
7th April 2016, 03:18 PM
Your White one looks a real peach, and I love the wheels. It's no wonder you are very careful with her.

Crossle
7th April 2016, 03:25 PM
Thanks mate. Its the main reason I am not too bothered about the loss of money on the yellow one because I picked the White one up for £2800 so if was to add the £550 I am going to lose on the yellow one and add that £550 to the value of the White one there is clearly over £3350 worth of value in the White one so I like to the think I recovered that little mistake!

The White one has spent most of its life with a mechanic who clearly knew what he was doing. When you get underneath it all the water pipes have been replaced, red brake hoses, all under sealed. It was really a really good find. Front right suspension did start knocking at the weekend but hopefully nothing too major.

adamstanford
7th April 2016, 04:33 PM
I've had a knock since having mine. Front passenger wheel. Only at low speeds. I've replaced the steering rack, tie bars, track rod ends, drop links, arb bushes and brackets, only thing I can think of is shock absorber top mount or ball joint... But it just passed an MOT and the tester couldn't find the knock.
Does yours knock when stationary if you wiggle the steering wheel to the left??

mk1 dal
7th April 2016, 11:00 PM
Steering cloum uj could be worn .I've had this problem before and was a total swine to find but it was the uj joint between the rack and steering colum .It only knocked at low speeds but could feel it through the steering wheel '

adamstanford
8th April 2016, 05:11 AM
I have read in various places that it could be that. What a bugger! Especially the way it sits by your pedals under your nose the whole time.. Laughing at you.

What's the best way to feel if it's the uj that's at fault?

adamstanford
8th April 2016, 07:49 PM
This is now mine chaps.
Restoration will begin towards the end of the year.

mk1 dal
8th April 2016, 08:06 PM
Brilliant. Good luck with the project

Booney907
8th April 2016, 08:48 PM
Ah man, I'm after a project for the summer ready for JAE in September, only saved a little so far so not really ready to buy as yet, saw this on eBay and was working out an offer but budget in transport costs. Then I saw it sold :-(
Oh well a little more saving to do :-)

adamstanford
8th April 2016, 09:46 PM
They do come up cheap every now and again but this is a million miles from a basket case and I'm very pleased with it.

MylesHSG
8th April 2016, 10:47 PM
Excellent news Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Booney907
8th April 2016, 11:05 PM
They do come up cheap every now and again but this is a million miles from a basket case and I'm very pleased with it.

Fair play bud, nice project there

jimi
9th April 2016, 11:16 AM
Excellent news Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

:confused:

Crossle
10th April 2016, 04:54 PM
I am really pleased Adam got this because he knows a lot about these cars, can do the work himself and it will be rescued and not scrapped which was really on the cards at one stage.

For me as someone that is not the practical with cars I found it hard to get that excited about the car as I couldn't see past a tatty, rusty car. Fair play to you guys that can see past that though and put all the effort on to keep these cars alive. I obviously took a reasonable hit on this car in a short space of time so not one of my better moments but happy I'm not going to be responsible for its demise as I could have been! Keep us updated with progress Adam. Wish you were changing the yellow though!

adamstanford
12th April 2016, 05:14 PM
Haha I certainly will, it's not garaunteed that I will keep it yellow, but it's a very strong possibility, but when it's done it'll look like it was yellow from the factory. I've had a little drive in it just to check everything that should work works, and tbh I'm pleasantly surprised with the way it runs and drives, no nasty surprises and the car was everything you said it was.
The short shifter looks to be of great quality and may find its way into my red car before long lol.. As I promised I wouldn't do the car before I move house... But I didn't say anything about the red one! Haha. I kind of like the alloys that are on it. All 3 of them lol so may try to find a tsw replacement for wheel no. 4.. But who knows. The welding required isn't as bad as it looks and won't take too long I wouldn't have thought, there's a lot more good than bad about this car. And I am growing attached to it already. So it sits under its little cover waiting to come back to life. Roll on next summer where it will be hitting the back roads like a massive yellow turd.
Thanks for the great buy crossie! And I'll keep you in on the progress.

tommundy
13th April 2016, 11:09 AM
Just sent you a PM Adam.

Good luck with the restoration! We enjoyed owning Mr. Yellow. :)

superwhite90
13th April 2016, 11:31 AM
Haha I certainly will, it's not garaunteed that I will keep it yellow, but it's a very strong possibility, but when it's done it'll look like it was yellow from the factory. I've had a little drive in it just to check everything that should work works, and tbh I'm pleasantly surprised with the way it runs and drives, no nasty surprises and the car was everything you said it was.
The short shifter looks to be of great quality and may find its way into my red car before long lol.. As I promised I wouldn't do the car before I move house... But I didn't say anything about the red one! Haha. I kind of like the alloys that are on it. All 3 of them lol so may try to find a tsw replacement for wheel no. 4.. But who knows. The welding required isn't as bad as it looks and won't take too long I wouldn't have thought, there's a lot more good than bad about this car. And I am growing attached to it already. So it sits under its little cover waiting to come back to life. Roll on next summer where it will be hitting the back roads like a massive yellow turd.
Thanks for the great buy crossie! And I'll keep you in on the progress.

You can rebuild it whilst looking to move house - hell i've rebuilt mine twice whilst moving house and saving for a wedding lol