PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Mk1b Coupe in white

sco
18th November 2015, 01:35 PM
Hi its time to part with my MR2 as I no longer have the space to store it, details below and pictures at the weekend.

~80,000mls, one owner and dry stored for the last 16 years.
Fidanza ally flywheel.
Magnex stainless exhaust.
Paul Woods manual choke conversion.
Koni springs and dampers.
Polybushed and suspension completely stripped and painted.
Steering rack bush replaced.
Gearbox overhauled with new bearings and 2nd gear syncro.
Always run on synthetic oil in my ownership.
No significant rust - A and B pillers solid as are arches, but wheels could do with a refurb.

Currently sorned, looking for £1700.

Cheers,

Simon.

Vitocars
18th November 2015, 08:53 PM
Any pics please

sco
18th November 2015, 09:46 PM
Yep I'll try and get some pictures taken at the weekend and add them to the thread.

Simon.

DriftLimitsPerformance
19th November 2015, 09:46 PM
Sounds like an utter bargain

superwhite90
20th November 2015, 09:53 AM
Yeah that's what I thought as well...

sco
20th November 2015, 11:23 AM
Well I havent got much idea on current MK1 prices apart from there seemed to be a few hopefuls looking for +£3k - I can always put the price up!

Simon.

superwhite90
20th November 2015, 11:52 AM
I've got all of that excluding the polybushed suspension and my engine has done 191k though it's bored out and rebuilt and I was hoping to get £2k for mine next summer.

mk1 dal
20th November 2015, 04:54 PM
At £1400 its far to cheap you might as well brake it for that sort of money . 3k for a mk1 in good nick is the norm at the moment so don't under sell it they are only going up in price .

cchrysos
20th November 2015, 05:08 PM
I have found that you can pretty much spend as much as you like on the mechanics of these cars (engine, suspension, gearbox etc) but the only thing that REALLY determines the price is the bodywork.

You mention no 'significant' rust but that can mean so many different things.

The buyer will, in most cases, buy based on what they see and how much work can be foreseen in my experience.

Having nice suspension and polybushes is something almost everyone wants....but not so many will pay extra for it if the bodywork lets it down. Most buyers of these cars now know that starting work on the bodywork of these is a can of worms and therefore indications that there may be work to do is a large put off unless you are looking for a budget car.

To me, your car sounds great! I would love to drive it as i bet it is spot on.......but it is easy to overvalue a car by looking at what you have spent on it rather than what someone is willing to pay.

Truth is...these are still woefully undervalued cars and largely because of the bodywork issues meaning many car sell for very little which drags the 'apparent' price down.

Ultimately it will only sell for what someone is willing to pay for it. If you price it high, you may get less interest but can be negotiated down. If you price it too low it will sell quicker but you cant walk it up.

Just my opinion. Good luck with the sale.

sco
20th November 2015, 06:06 PM
Thanks - I appreciate the opinions. I guess what I'm wary of is being wildly optimistic on price and then having to reduce it several times before it sells. I definitely do not want to break it and would prefer it went to someone who will love it like I have. On the rust side I've seen several ads where there are literally gaping holes in the wings or the pillars - my car is nothing like that and hopefully the pictures will confirm. It drives really nicely and starts first turn of the key but for the last year or so it has just sat there so it would be far better to sell it to someone who has the time to use it.

Somewhere in the garage I have a brand new set of 'Chris Wilson' fast road pads that I never got round to fitting - these could either go with the car or I'm open to offers if somebody wants them.

Simon.

sco
20th November 2015, 07:59 PM
I've had some queries on the 'Chris Wilson pads so here are a couple of threads on them, Chris was a racer who had a 4A-GE engined special and used to post on the MR2DC forum years ago.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=181654&highlight=wilson

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=177101&highlight=wilson

Before anybody gets too excited I need to see if I can find them in the garage!

Simon.

anthonym7579
20th November 2015, 08:15 PM
Hi Simon

PM'd

jumpman33
21st November 2015, 11:37 AM
Well priced, like others have said bodywork depending could be worth a bit more, I think good MR2's with minimal bodywork issues are worth £2-2.5k. Just sourced one for my friend, 77k miles, full MOT no advisories, massive History, minimal bodywork needed,completely stock aside from lowered and stainless exhaust, immaculate interior,including lovely original cassette player all for £2100.

Get some pics up may have someone interested in this, even if price goes up a touch bodywork dependant.

sco
21st November 2015, 04:19 PM
OK I've added some pictures to the first page and here is a link to a google album with them in and a few extra including the Chris Wilson pads; https://goo.gl/photos/xUj7ygoJsu57FiX38

Few more bits of info / comments; mileage is 80410 (not 90000), tyres are Bridgestone Potenzas with ~5mm of tread, visible in the pictures is some surface rust on the nearside rear arch, on the valence under the rear bumper and the spark-plug cover between the cam covers. One of the rear mudflaps has become detached so that will need sorting, the steering wheel is a Mota Lita and may not be to everyone's taste - I have the original although it does need recovering.

Simon.

cchrysos
21st November 2015, 04:51 PM
Hi Simon.
Having seen the pictures I would agree that the car should be advertised for more. Looks more like a 2k car to me if the floor pans are all good.
If the wheel proves not to be to the buyers taste, I may be interested in it for my triumph if the price is right.

If the wheels are original diamond cut pepper pots they also have some good value as they are rare sc wheels.

The plate may fetch a few quid too (150-200 or so to the right buyer )

Good luck with the sale. Looks like a great car.

Chrys

jumpman33
21st November 2015, 05:44 PM
Looks good, stick it up for £2k

adamstanford
21st November 2015, 06:13 PM
I mean fair play if you're only after such a small amount. The car has far exceeded what I thought for the money. I think youbcould hold out and get an easy 2k+ for it. But at your price if it's as tidy as it appears I think it'd be an absolute steal. I wish I had 1400 saved for it haha.

Vistalite
21st November 2015, 06:21 PM
I agree with all previous posts even though winter is approaching, so don't undersell yourself. It's got low mileage and is in good nick according to the photos, oh and don't just rely on advertising here, get it up on a few other sites aswell.

Nice steering wheel btw, but if you've got the original I'd stick it back on iiwy.

Good luck.

sco
21st November 2015, 06:25 PM
OK I've pricced it at £1700.
The wheels are just standard pepperpots - I had them refurbed by pristine wheels but after a year or so the lacquer started to lift so they need re-doing to bring them up to the standard of the rest of the car.
If anybody is interested in the pads I'm looking for £70 including postage.

Simon.

sco
9th December 2015, 01:02 PM
Car has now been sold and is off to a new home in Ireland.

Simon.

charged
9th December 2015, 01:46 PM
Good stuff. Just a thought but if the car went for more than your original asking price, perhaps a small donation to the club is in order.