PDA

View Full Version : STANDARD teardrops

MelR2Mk1
27th October 2015, 12:12 PM
Hi folks

My almost entirely standard MK1b has had her teardrops refurbed and powdercoated (monotone grey). I'm sure everyone will tell me that's brilliant and I should feel really lucky. But I think they look grim. And I want originals back on there. Does anyone have any comments, and does anyone have any tip-top condition originals that they'd like to swap/ part-ex (if folk feel powder coateds are worth more? Or maybe less! What's the thinking?)

TIA for thoughts and advice

Mel

charged
27th October 2015, 12:58 PM
The trouble with powercoating is that you are lift with a single colour finish.

sTuArT
27th October 2015, 02:02 PM
You could go for diamond cut. I believe this was standard on the super charger

MelR2Mk1
27th October 2015, 03:13 PM
The trouble with powercoating is that you are lift with a single colour finish. which is ugly as hell and makes the teardrops utterly pointless :(

MelR2Mk1
27th October 2015, 03:14 PM
You could go for diamond cut. I believe this was standard on the super charger

Mine's NA though, so not authentic...

adamstanford
27th October 2015, 06:01 PM
What colour are standard n/a teardrops supposed to be?

dc399uk
27th October 2015, 07:13 PM
Standard are basically a silver finish with a darker anthracite colour inside the teardrop. Problem with this is it costs a fair bit more to have two tone done by refurbishers. I opted for anthracite all over and rather like the look and figured it was better than the original peeling ones!

adamstanford
27th October 2015, 08:14 PM
Thank-you. Mine is very surely getting to a point where it's better than I thought it would ever be (I bought it as a clean daily driver, but what I got is a bodged daily driver that I've had to put a lot of time and effort into lol) but I've never liked the flat silver alloy rattle can job that's on the wheels
And I've seen different finishes, and I am not really a fan of the polished version, daily driven and all. I reckon I'd be able to get a nice finish with the colours you mention in mind in the near future.

MelR2Mk1
27th October 2015, 08:22 PM
Didn't some have that mirror polish as standard? I don't even know what you call the standard alloy... is it just that? My 88 mica Blue has had her teardrops done mica Blue, pretty cool ;) but the alloys themselves are pretty worn :( Fairly recently got rid of a set of not bad teardrops, but without painted drops...bah!

So, is it feasible to reverse the powder coating? Or pointless? Or stupidly expensive?