PDA

View Full Version : sky Blue mk1

emrrtwo
22nd August 2015, 02:46 PM
noticed a c reg one on gumtree, know a number of you look out for these

https://www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/toyota-mr2-mk1/1130306159

cchrysos
22nd August 2015, 09:01 PM
The link is not working...has it gone already!!!!
What was it like? How much did they want for it.
I think I may have to sell mine soon but trying to decide whether to spend money on it first or not.

Master-B
22nd August 2015, 09:06 PM
It was up for £495 in dorset.

Long term owner, no mot, rusty, retrimmed, strong mechanically. I hope it's not gone to Wales.

cchrysos
22nd August 2015, 09:06 PM
What a shame if it has :-(

Vistalite
22nd August 2015, 09:37 PM
I can confirm that it hasn't gone to Wales, it'll be going to Warwick :-)

Master-B
22nd August 2015, 09:43 PM
Good stuff!

cchrysos
22nd August 2015, 09:49 PM
I can confirm that it hasn't gone to Wales, it'll be going to Warwick :-)

Ha ha. Great news. I know you wanted one.

Get that kit off for starters...it's not a true crossover.

Looks good for £500! Any more pics?

Vistalite
22nd August 2015, 10:25 PM
Thanks Kris and Chrys, I haven't actually seen it in the metal yet, but these ones tend to go rather fast so decided to bite the bullet based on what the chap selling said. He sounded genuine and had had her for 14 years and was moving abroad, and only decided to put her up for sale this morning. He had the original wheels which I purchased, but the steering wheel has been changed and the original stereo has gone as well. Someone had reversed into the front wing causing it to buckle slightly but he's giving me a new wing he had ready to fit and also another rear bumper.

I was wondering whether the skirts should be on, and the front valance doesn't look right either - replacing those are going to be a challenge to obtain I should think. The guy completely rebuilt the engine 12 years ago and he's done 40k in her since until 2009 when the last MOT ended. There is some rust, and I know photos hide a multitude of sins, but I may ask Gary to fix her up if he's free. It's got a stainless exhaust too!

I will definitely have to get rid of one of my T-bars now, the renovated one.

Some more pics from the advert:

Master-B
22nd August 2015, 10:39 PM
It looks like there is a nice car in there, screaming to get out Jonathan! Fair play for taking a punt on it!

Interesting that he just had the blue inserts done on the seats to retain the originality.

The skirts (hopefully its not too bad under them) need to go, as do the colour coded mirrors & yeah, the front splitter is a bit odd. Might still have the 1a valance panels which would explain it.

I reckon the missing bits will be easy enough to source & I know your fastidious standards will have it back to its best before too long :D

MelR2Mk1
23rd August 2015, 05:22 AM
Wow, well done. I'm still gutted that the yellow (don't ask!) B Reg I tried to save (with its original import paperwork, probably one of the first 30 into the UK) ended up being raced. What a waste. If I'd had time money and mental capacity shed be back to metallic beige now, a real rare beast :(

charged
23rd August 2015, 07:52 AM
Looks like a great buy! Hope it is all good underneath..

andyroo104
23rd August 2015, 08:30 AM
Great buy,if you are looking to sell the front lip give me a shout.:-)

Vistalite
23rd August 2015, 08:55 AM
Looks like a great buy! Hope it is all good underneath..

I hope it turns out okay too, and for the price I expect to see a little rust in places, but I don't think it'll be a rot box though. These cars need saving, particularly in this colour.

Credit must go to Emrrtwo for notifying the group of the advert. Nice one mate :thumbup:

cchrysos
23rd August 2015, 09:07 AM
Its a bargain at that price whatever you find wrong with it!
These are so rare anf if taken back to original, look amazing. Well done mate. There are muche easier and risky ways to lose £500...you are not going to lose on this.

I have those brand new mk1a valances sgill that i cant bear to get rid of until i find someone who can make fiberglass moulds for them. ....they are becoming so rare ri find in hood or bad condition that we should take the opportunity to make copies.
I look forward to seeing more as you get her home :-)

andyroo104
23rd August 2015, 09:12 AM
Its a bargain at that price whatever you find wrong with it!
These are so rare anf if taken back to original, look amazing. Well done mate. There are muche easier and risky ways to lose £500...you are not going to lose on this.

I have those brand new mk1a valances sgill that i cant bear to get rid of until i find someone who can make fiberglass moulds for them. ....they are becoming so rare ri find in hood or bad condition that we should take the opportunity to make copies.

Have you tried contacting Patrick Chambers (headcase) as he can get fibre glass moulds made and is well known throughout the mr2 world,he is currently restoring a mk1.
He is a member of the mr2oc,mr2roc and twobrutal,also on Facebook,try sending him a message via Facebook,you can tell him I recommend him,he is a true enthusiast and a great guy.

emrrtwo
23rd August 2015, 09:19 AM
Glad you are going to have a go at saving it, unlike a lot it seemed like a genuine advert, normally see pics etc of various cars over the years but couldn't remember seeing this one before
Hopefully it works out for you!

Vistalite
23rd August 2015, 11:53 AM

I wonder how much it would cost to produce tooling for metal sheet pressing? I will have to ask my Uncle who owns a metal pressing business which produces a range of panels for classic cars like MGB's, Sptifires and Minis. He even did the aluminium wings for those limited edition million pound racing e-types that Jaguar produced recently.

Snowtigger
24th August 2015, 05:00 PM
They need reproducing