PDA

View Full Version : New member looking for a MK1

Jimi Duffell
12th July 2015, 07:35 PM
Hi guys I'm new to the club.

I've been reading buyers guides and all that but I haven't got much experience in buying cars at all. I'm looking for my first MK1 and was hoping you guys could point in the right direction. I want one as a daily runner. I just want to know if thats feasible and how costly it is fighting rust (even if i get one with good bodywork). I've seen a few on car and classic and was wondering if you guys could give me some recommendations.

tommundy
12th July 2015, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the forums and the club!

You can run a mk1 as a daily, but it will of course cost you more to maintain than if you use it as a summer only toy.

I'd recommend starting off with a good solid car. You don't want a concourse one as a daily in my opinion as it'd be a waste and you'd feel too precious over it.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers,
Tom

Gilles27
12th July 2015, 07:46 PM
Hi Jimi. Using one as a daily driver is certainly feasible. I drive mine every day and I park it on the street. As with most cars you should buy the best you can afford as buying something cheap will not save money in the long run. The best idea would be to post links on here to the cars you're considering. You'll probably find that someone on here used to own it!

Jimi Duffell
12th July 2015, 07:53 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161733543327#cvip_desc

I found this one, although the listing has ended the guy is still selling it. Not sure if you guys can see the description? However it's only done 1k in the last 10 years and I don't get why so much has been spent on it but now he seems desperate to get rid?

Jimi Duffell
12th July 2015, 07:55 PM
Also I saw someone else selling a silver MK1 on here called Kev, I'm interested in that

Gilles27
13th July 2015, 08:09 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161733543327#cvip_desc

I found this one, although the listing has ended the guy is still selling it. Not sure if you guys can see the description? However it's only done 1k in the last 10 years and I don't get why so much has been spent on it but now he seems desperate to get rid?

Just had a look at that and it looks great. I don't think the seller is the person who owned it for 10 years and only put 1000 miles on it. There are owners like that. I was talking to a guy at Tatton who had an immaculate mk1 that did less than 50 miles a year. It went to the Tatton show each year and to his local garage for an mot. Other than that he just cleaned and fettled it!
What sort of money is this car going for? It certainly looks like a good 'un. Is absolute originality what you're after?

Gilles27
13th July 2015, 08:25 AM
Actually, I've just looked at Kev's post and of course you should buy that one as he's a member! http://www.mr2mk1club.com/showthread.php?16510-silver-mr2-mk1-for-sale

Jimi Duffell
13th July 2015, 09:05 AM
Yes I will hopefully go and see Kev's this weekend hopefully, and the one on eBay has dropped the price to £2600, just seems too keen to sell it when he's done so much work to it worth more than the car itself.

Jimi Duffell
13th July 2015, 09:06 AM
It doesn't have to be absolutely original itself, don't mind mods to the exhaust, but I want an original body kit

Gilles27
13th July 2015, 10:45 AM
It doesn't have to be absolutely original itself, don't mind mods to the exhaust, but I want an original body kit

I'd agree that a stainless exhaust is a must - especially for a daily driver. I also lost patience with the cassette player and got a bluetooth enabled stereo.

Jimi Duffell
13th July 2015, 11:02 AM
I'd agree that a stainless exhaust is a must - especially for a daily driver. I also lost patience with the cassette player and got a bluetooth enabled stereo.

Yeah i'll most probably upgrade the exhaust and stereo player, I'd also need to make adjustments to steering wheel and seat runners as I'm like 6 ft 9 and can only just fit in!

superwhite90
13th July 2015, 02:27 PM
Don't get a Janspeed no matter how cheap or good it looks. It'll cause you so many problems and you'll wish you still had the standard OEM that goes rusty after a year!

Jimi Duffell
13th July 2015, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the heads, what sort of problems they give you?

Snowtigger
13th July 2015, 04:24 PM
I liked my janspeed had a nice throaty growl to it.
There's two you tube vids on buying a mk1 the main thing is rear arches bubbling if you hear that old chestnut run like the Devils sticking a fork in your backside, they can be fixed but at a grand for both and a respray not cheap, next is inside the door shut were the switch resides for the interior light it's also a major jack point underneath the sill, this is a triple metal section but rusts behind the triangle so when you try and jack the car up it collapses as it rusts from the inside out by the time you notice it's probably to late.

Next car killer is the front box section horns at the front that have the arb bolted to them and hold the rad brace if these start going through there repairable but time consuming.

Also leaky T bars and 5th gear poping out is another problem, but if a guy is selling his car on here it's generally been sorted of most faults and would no doubt show you all the points on the car that need attention or that have had attention in the past.
There's been one that has been put up for sale and taken it down when it was found to need a lot more work than was thought and is now fixing it up properly that's the sort of guys on here who love there mk1 and want the next owners to love them and keep them going .

tommundy
13th July 2015, 05:19 PM
Hi there Jimi,

I've just sent through your membership details. :+:

Cheers,
Tom

Jimi Duffell
13th July 2015, 08:10 PM
Hi guys, thanks!!

Boba Fett
13th July 2015, 09:13 PM
Watch for rust around the top of the wind screen as well.

Jimi Duffell
13th July 2015, 09:47 PM
Is that an expensive job then?

superwhite90
14th July 2015, 09:15 AM
The windscreen has to be removed and the rust ground out and repaired.

You may find in some instances that if you require a new windscreen and rust is found behind it, some windscreen replacement companies will not guarantee the windscreen unless the rust is sorted out before it's replaced, as it could be assumed that a crack was caused by this rust/damage. I have no guarantee on mine because of this, but thankfully my screen has not cracked since.

scoobyblue
14th July 2015, 12:43 PM
hi, i apologise for being mercenary and have not been active for a few years but i am selling my car, i wont post any links for fear of annoying the mods but let me know if you are interested, down side is that it is in northern ireland
it is a 1988 mica blue t-bar, uk model, it has been converted to a supercharger