PDA

View Full Version : About To Buy a Toyota Mr2 Mk1 =)

HyadMusic
4th July 2015, 09:52 PM
Hey Guys!

I am new here and I am about to buy a 1989 Mk1b 167K miles next week after driving it today (First time driving a stick need alot of practice lol... at least I don't ride the clutch at a stop... I go in to neutral =) but I saw there are a couple things that concern me. Underneath the front bumper directly in the middle but over to the left there is a small hose hanging down (about half an inch to an inch in diameter) with the other broken side on the right under the bumper. Nothing was leaking while running, no coolant leak... but it's practically right below the radiator...or is that an intake?... but either way I am lost on that one since the engine is in the rear. Also, there is no overheating, though we had it running for only 10 to 15 mins or so. No misfiring alternator looks fine (I know water tends to leak on to it through the back louvers) I forgot to take a pic but I am just wondering if anyone knows off the top of your head what that hose might be. Also, there is almost what sounds like a scraping at the back of the car while braking. The owner said he hasn't replaced brake pads or rotors at all but said "When the wheel was off the car and he was looking at it they couldn't find anything wrong"... and neither could the small time shop they went to.

The only rust is inner part of the mufflers, and front right side where a minor fender bender happened and doesn't look like frame damage door doesnt catch and measurement from edge of front rim to back rim is the normal 1/4 inch off so I am good there, (No rust on fenders or in trunk couldn't believe it) which ill get fixed along with a new paint job, front windshield and hopefully dash crack fixed, and a new sunroof because the screws got loose and on the highway the sunroof flew off and shattered I was told... but it's a faded red... never liked red, gonna go pearl white =). He hasn't really driven it for over a year so I am expecting gaskets to need replacing soon, oil pan, valve cover gaskets, etc. and of course timing belt or chain, water pump, spark plugs, gonna try to get it all done. But seems fine and starts right up with no idling issues. Tie rod ends are fine no uneven tire wear. I tried to cover all facets of an inspection, looking underneath, behind carpeting in the trunk, seats, looking for water damage.

Other Mr2's had rust EVERYWHERE so for under $2500.00 I think I am getting a decent deal even with needing a new bumper and front right quarter panel needing fixing at a body shop. Clutch has been replaced a year ago and shifts smoothly. Just don't know what that hose is at all, obviously going to be the first thing I get fixed at a Toyota dealership along with the sunroof.

If you guys have any thoughts please let me know as I look forward to being a part of your club/forum. =)

PS: (I am also on Club Lexus with a 1997 black SC300 but 7 grand in repairs later I am pretty much done... 3 previous owners SUCKED!!!... sorry... venting lol. Stock 1997 fuel filter was on it... so no maintenance done whatsoever. This Mr2 Mk1 is a car I want to sink 7 grand in to, not so much a 3400 pound car like the SC300 even though I love the 2jzge to death. High Speed cornering wins races and that's why I love these Mk1's!)

adamstanford
8th July 2015, 11:28 AM
The little hose im baffled on ive got the same one hanging from mine. Ive just replaced the rad to an alloy one im assuming you mean the tiny hose about 3mm id that just hangs out the bottom