PDA

View Full Version : Toyota MR2 Mk1 Club AGM 2015 / Christmas Party - ** POSTPONED UNTIL SUMMER 2016 **

tommundy
30th June 2015, 04:18 PM
Hi all,

The club's Annual General Meeting will be held around Christmas this year.

My thought behind this was that it would be good to combine it with a social event somewhere central to everyone. Additionally, I don't want anything to detract away from the full weekend of entertainment at Silverstone this year, and with more jobs than ever, I didn't want to lose focus on our 30th celebrations.

The exact date will be communicated out in the following weeks, but I'd appreciate people's thoughts about a Christmas Do? It would be a central location, probably Derby, Birmingham or Leicester.

Over and out for now.

Cheers,
Tom

** Edited to add **

The date is now December 5th!

Attendees below:

1. Tom & Lois
2. Mel
3. Graham
4. Paul and Cheryl
5. Stuart Kynoch

Add your name at the end of this thread! :+:

More information such as location and any costs/deposits will be announced shortly! :D

Snowtigger
30th June 2015, 04:30 PM
Had some nice Christmas club dos in Birmingham and Leicester I know very well there's a fantastic Indian called the Bengal tiger there authentic Indian cooking not Anglo Indian.
Plus there's a nice guest house with courtyard in lubenham lots of great little villages (and pubs) with twisty 60mph roads between them.

tommundy
30th June 2015, 04:32 PM
Cool, cheers for the info Michael! :+:

I know a great steak house in Derby that would be an option too:

http://www.emilys.biz/

tommundy
7th July 2015, 05:24 PM
Any other thoughts? :D

Vistalite
7th July 2015, 06:04 PM
Hi Tom

What about Leamington Spa? There is a Premier Inn and a Travel lodge and plenty of places to dine and make merry. You could go on to visit Warwick castle, Stratford upon Avon and travel through the Cotswolds nearby?

Just a thought.

Jonathan

tommundy
7th July 2015, 06:15 PM
Another good option Jonathan. :+:

bill hulme
7th July 2015, 08:48 PM
Blackpool do very go FISH & CHIPS with salt & vinegar .

Snowtigger
8th July 2015, 11:28 AM
I second Blackpool as having a very good fish and chip shop right at the end of the lights, it's always full the fish is fresh and the chips are to exquisite crispy outside but fluffy inside.

Lakelad
8th July 2015, 05:34 PM
Even though I love fish and chips, enjoy a good day out at blackpool and live in the North West I think that Blackpool is not perhaps the best idea - have you ever tried to walk along the promanade in the driving rain and a storm force gale on a dark December evening! I think a slightly less draughty and more central location that also serves fish and chips might be more suited to the clubs needs - Bolton would be handy for Bill and he probably knows a good chippy!!

MelR2Mk1
12th August 2015, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me, though the 2 (s) will be in bed by winter!

MelR2Mk1
14th August 2015, 10:22 AM
Just got an email from Donington saying 'Celebrate in Style this Christmas'...£65 a head though!!!! :/

tommundy
14th August 2015, 03:05 PM
Ouch, yeh. I was thinking we'd sort out accommodation and the meal separately. Some places charge a fortune around Christmas!

stumr2sc
18th August 2015, 10:44 AM
Way Back in late 90's early 2000's the club had a couple of Christmas parties at the Mickleover Hotel near Derby. They went down very well and we had our AGM on Saturday afternoon followed by dinner bed and breakfast. A quick telephone call to this hotel confirmed that most events of this type had been booked in early spring and so the only Saturday dates available were in October or January following Christmas. This could apply to most hotels but I for one wouldn't mind having a Christmas party in January when the total cost should be quite a bit cheaper.

tommundy
18th August 2015, 10:56 AM
Cheers for the feedback Stuart.

I had already looked at the Mickleover, as it's a nice location and the facilities, food etc. were always good. The evening meal and disco package is a bit pricey @ £40 per head though, hence why I was thinking to just organise the meal independently.

All suggestions welcome though! :D

I'll be looking at this, amongst other things, now I'm back from holiday.

Cheers,
Tom

Mutley00
20th August 2015, 12:48 PM
Kelham Island for a few drinks, 7 Spices Balti for a meal, dance on tables. Simples eek!

tommundy
21st August 2015, 08:43 AM
Keep the ideas coming. :+:

tommundy
28th August 2015, 12:20 PM
Hi all,

I've added a poll to the thread to gauge which date would be best for people.

You can select all the dates that are most convenient for you. The poll will run for 30 days. :+:

Cheers,
Tom

tommundy
18th September 2015, 07:56 AM
Two dates are taking the lead!

Just over a week left for the poll to run, so if you're interested in coming, don't forget to mark your preferred dates. :)

tommundy
1st October 2015, 01:41 PM
Right, the results are in!

5th December it is! Get it in your calendars and watch this space. :+:

I'll look into a venue and post up some more information with regards to any costs etc. shortly.

Cheers,
Tom :D

MelR2Mk1
1st October 2015, 03:53 PM
Great. I'll be there, although almost definitely NOT in an MR2 at that time of year!

Lakelad
1st October 2015, 07:47 PM
Thanks Tom - will add it to our calendar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulandchez
1st October 2015, 09:53 PM
Yeeeessssss we can do that one :-) thanks Tom

tommundy
2nd October 2015, 12:55 PM
I feel a list coming on! :D

1. Tom & Lois
2. Mel
3. Graham
4. Paul and Cheryl

tommundy
27th October 2015, 11:03 PM
Hi all,

I'm in Birmingham this weekend, so will hunt out a curry house and some potential hotels for people, then advertise up on here next week. I'm thinking of the below format for the day/night:

Saturday 5th December

4pm-6pm~ - AGM
7:30pm - Curry & Beers! :D

Cheers,
Tom

MelR2Mk1
28th October 2015, 12:17 PM
Make sure there's parking! I know a great one near me (where our South West meets will be in 2016) but that's another hour South of Brum :( Near the M5 though ;)

paulandchez
5th November 2015, 08:15 PM
Tom....sorry mate but we're gonna have to pull out now. Got a family do on we've just found out about.

Hope you all have fun though

tommundy
6th November 2015, 04:55 PM
Tom....sorry mate but we're gonna have to pull out now. Got a family do on we've just found out about.

Hope you all have fun though
Hi Paul,

No problem at all mate; have a great night! :)

Cheers,
Tom

tommundy
6th November 2015, 05:10 PM
Hi all,

Unfortunately, due to the low interest in the AGM and Christmas Do (only 4 names down on the forum including Lois and me), I'm going to move it to Easter / early Summer time.

Hopefully that will fall better with people's calendars, and wallets (Christmas was always going to be tricky I guess with relatively short notice).

If you have any specific questions around the current standing of the club, please ask, but be re-assured that things are going well, both financially and in membership terms. :+: :)

If you had your name down to attend, I've sent you a separate E-mail also.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Tom

Club Chairman

MelR2Mk1
10th November 2015, 09:28 AM
I think that announcements like the AGM really ought to be emailed to the entire membership. (Speaking from experience) not everyone comes on here every day, and once you stop doing that it can be months before you log on. We (presumably) have email addresses for most members, so a mass mail of vital info shouldn't be too difficult, and would help keep the club 'together' and maybe prompt people to visit the forum as well.

tommundy
10th November 2015, 11:40 AM
I did plan to email all members, but didn't want to until I had firm details of the event. By that point, there was so little interest on here that I didn't envisage many responders to an email.

In my defence, this post was started at the end of June and has been viewed by 65 people, of which only 10% showed any interest.

For the new AGM, I'll just book everything and advertise it via email and the forums.

Hopefully there will be a better uptake next time. :)

Cheers,
Tom

MelR2Mk1
10th November 2015, 12:57 PM
Not having a go :) just suggesting based on my experience. And though we love choice as a species, we are pretty cr** at it :) Did the Heritage Motor Museum used to give us the room for free?

tommundy
10th November 2015, 02:15 PM
Cool. :)

Yeh, we are a funny old species, hehe.

Not sure, but it could be a cool venue!

Cheers,
Tom