PDA

View Full Version : MR2 Mk1 T-bar Red for sale and available later this month - SOLD

PaulyV
12th February 2015, 01:59 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img440/4945/7be9.jpg

Hello,

My MR2 Mk1 will be available from the end of February. I have posted on this forum previously about this car and am happy to say it is by and large in fine condition for its age, and has been well maintained over the past 18 months.

I got the car via ebay, with it having been sat for some time and it thereafter underwent something of a restoration:

Welded underneath (suspension mounting points)
Partial respray
Rear wings partially attended to with the understanding they would have to be more comprehensively sorted at some point in the future.
Front wings attended to and resprayed - one was in a right state and was replaced, then resprayed to match exactly.
Replacement mk1 leather seats installed (the car has a full leather interior) - these new seats were fully refurbished before being fitted.
New exhaust back box
New handbrake cable
New Sony stereo (plays MP3s via USB)
New footmats (black with red trim)
New bonnet badge
Full service (oil, filters, sparkplugs, etc)
New coolant tank lid as the old one was brittle
All 4 wheels refurbished
2 x new tyres
Replacement gearbox oil (which made a world of difference to how it felt - I would recommend this to any owners)
...I think that is it.

It has never leaked when driving, even in very heavy summer rainstorms on the M25 amazingly, although it did get a little damp inside this winter when the cold made the rubbers contract when stood. It seems fine now.

In the past 9 months it has also benefited from:

New clutch (drives so eagerly with a new clutch - surprisingly so)
New alternator belt.
Chip in the windscreen - always had this and it has been professionally 'repaired'.

The car has not once let me down over the past 15 months, and I took it on a very long tour of France last June taking in Le Mans where it got a lot of attention. It's a very nippy car, especially with the new clutch putting the power down, and it handles really well. It is fine on petrol and the temperature gauge is always rock solid exactly where it should be...I wish I had time to give it one track day, but alas it isn't going to happen with my current calendar. About 145k on the clock and it often get compliments and remarks on the condition it is in both inside and out, especially with the roof off in the summer.

It passed the MOT 23/12/2014 with a small number of advisories:

Handbrake cable play (now tightened)
Aforementioned chip in the windscreen
A little suspension play in a balljoint
One wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim - it has not been knocked during my ownership and was always like this.

Not so many bad points but I want to highlight everything for clarity:

The rear arches are starting to bubble again as the car has sat outside every night - they will need sorting in the next 18 months I would estimate. I would have had them done from the outset but had to prioritise my spend.
Paint peeling on the mounting of the passenger side wing mirror - no worse than when I bought it but it was overlooked when I had the work done.
There is bubbling above the windscreen. Just a little and that has always been there and I want to point out it has NOT increased at all in the time I have owned the car and I have been looking closely. Had it increased I would have had it attended to.
No history came with the car, so the new owner will only have the receipts from the work I have had done.
Slight vibration between 65 and 70 mph after which it goes away again - perhaps a rebalance is required?
Driver side front - slight rubbing when turning which I suspect is a slightly warped disc, or perhaps the bearings, neither of which are expensive.
No spare wheel - I pack tyreweld. The old one was like a 50 pence piece!
The aerial for the radio is not wired in. I was in such a rush to get the stereo in (it came without one) I did not wait to get the 50pence adapter plug.
The paintwork is pretty strong, however there are stonechips at the front and it could do with a touch up at some point.
Revs around 1.5k until it warms up...like almost every other MR2 I think.
In the cold the new alternator belt occasionally squeaks on startup for about 2 seconds - could do with a tighten and guilty to say I have not had the time.

So a list largely made up of niggles, save for those rear wheel arches - I want to be clear that any prospective owner should get those done although they would likely be fine for the summer.

If I was keeping it I would give it a new cambelt in the coming year as again I have no record of the last change. The car comes with a complete boxed set of new brake pads. I do not think they need replacing at the moment, but they were on offer at Eurocarparts so I took advantage.

So, an honest MK1 which I have cherished, spent well over £1500 on in the past year, and which should be a great car for an enthusiast with the sun coming (so I am told!!).

I am located in SE London, near Woolwich/Greenwich, and am happy to answer any questions. I am away from my home a bit at the moment but near the end of the month should be around again.

Reason for selling is a lovely 2007 Z4 Coupe which currently sits next to the MR2...I would love to keep both as they are so different, but it isn't going to happen. I will be genuinely sorry to see it go.

I don't think I am being unreasonable asking £1300 for the car.

http://imageshack.com/a/img404/5467/8jy5.jpg

andyroo104
12th February 2015, 09:42 PM
Very interested in this,I am local to you and would like to arrange a viewing when you are available please.

PaulyV
13th February 2015, 09:56 AM
Very interested in this,I am local to you and would like to arrange a viewing when you are available please.

You really are local! Sure - I will drop you a line the moment I am back.

PV

andyroo104
13th February 2015, 11:47 AM
Thank you.

PaulyV
14th February 2015, 12:06 PM
PM sent Andy.

andyroo104
15th February 2015, 09:39 PM
Pm replied to with contact details to arrange viewing upon your return.
Andy.

andyroo104
25th February 2015, 07:11 PM
Cannot wait to drive this beauty now.

andyroo104
5th March 2015, 12:10 PM
Sold to me,thanks Paul.

tommundy
5th March 2015, 12:42 PM
Well done. Does it drive well? :)

andyroo104
5th March 2015, 12:44 PM
Drives really well,I also own a mk3 and loving the difference without the power steering,more feedback.

Gilles27
5th March 2015, 06:07 PM
Drives really well,I also own a mk3 and loving the difference without the power steering,more feedback.
We have a mk1 and a mk3 in our household too. I prefer the mk1, but the mk3 does have the advantage of being a convertible.

andyroo104
5th March 2015, 06:09 PM
T-bar best of both worlds,lol.

PaulyV
6th March 2015, 10:48 AM
Pleased it went to a good home Andy. I hope you enjoy the car and look forward to seeing it about. Thanks for making the process straightforward. Do post about the car from time to time - I will continue to drop by.

best wishes and thanks to all on the forum.

Pauly

andyroo104
6th March 2015, 10:49 AM
Will definitely see me about and posting too,thanks again.
Andy.

ayresyboy
6th March 2015, 05:24 PM
Great purchase Andy. Can't wait to meet her!

andyroo104
6th March 2015, 05:25 PM
You will soon,hopefully on the 28th.