PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Adi64gt
28th December 2014, 09:42 PM
Finally got round to joining the club, though I've owned my Mk1b for nearly 2 years.
Wanted a Mk1 since I drove my bosses in 1997 (my first job after school). The company built classic volvo's for rallying, but the MR2 was his everyday car. It was an '89 G reg in Mica Blue, and by 1997 it had covered 250,000 miles, crashed badly once and rebuilt, crashed again and refreshed (the boss did a bit of night rallying and a few track days). I used to get sent off in it to pick up parts, customers etc and absolutely loved driving it, and said one day I would buy one.
Roll on to xmas of 2011 and a mate and I were txting one evening about finally booking up to do a school day at Gurston Down Hill Climb, he had recently picked up a cheap mx5, and so we booked the school day, and I went and bought a Mk1 Mr2 a week later.
It was a typical cheap MR2, faded red paint, not great rear arches, and a oil leak from the distributor, but other than the arches, it was pretty solid underneath, good wings, doors, engine with K&n filter, and a terrible bodged Mk2 Mr2 exhaust!!
Spent a few months getting it tidied up ready for the school day, removed most of the interior, added a safety devices roll cage, bucket seat and a set of yokohama AO48r's.
The school day went great, the MR2 didn't miss a beat, and i'm hoping to compete properly in the near future.
The MOT was up in november last year, and it predictably failed, though only on the B post (where the courtesy light switch is). That was the catalyst, either scrap, and buy another, or get on with the rebuild.
Its nearly done, after close to a year, but after a lot of welding and paint (its now in Lotus red over white with a gold stripe) and a fresh set of 14in BBS wheels, I'm getting excited to have it back on the road. Will get some pictures up as soon as I can. Thanks Adrian

AW11mike
28th December 2014, 10:14 PM
Hi Adrian, welcome to the club. Looking forward to seeing the photos. Mike

Adi64gt
28th December 2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks Mike, my fiends bodyshop (where the MR2 has been all year!!) is open again next week so hoping to get some pics up then :)

tommundy
29th December 2014, 09:32 AM
Welcome to the club! :)

It's great to hear that you've wanted a Mk1 since you first experienced one all those years ago! Really looking forward to seeing the pictures of your car too.

Cheers,
Tom

PS: I've just sent through your membership details. :+: