PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Brackets on eBay?

seveer_rm
11th December 2014, 12:56 AM
I know that Jimi is a member of this forum, but his inbox is full so I can't PM him =(

I've found someone selling Jimi brackets on eBay (eBay Jimi Bracket (http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-MK1-JIMI-THROTTLE-BRACKET-UPGRADE-4AGE-16v-ENGINE-TWIN-CAM-AW11-RACE-/261692780629?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cee1af055)), and was wondering if I should buy one this way?

I assume the seller purchased a bunch from Jimi at some point, but I just want to make sure that Jimi gets paid for his work (and that I don't get a cheap knock-off).

coverco
11th December 2014, 01:45 PM
That is indeed a copy by a certain welsh person who we do not mention (a bit like Voldemort). We do sell them in the club shop straight from Jimi but it has been down for quite a while. However I am not sure about shipping to the US we would need to talk to Jimi, you could off course just contact him yourself by PM on this and other forums :-)

seveer_rm
12th December 2014, 04:36 PM
Lol, I figured that was the case. The person selling them seemed very sketchy.

I tried to PM Jimi on this forum but his inbox was full, so it was discarded. Do you know of any other forum where I can message him?

coverco
12th December 2014, 06:05 PM
He is a mod on the MR2 owners club in the UK, try there.

MR2MK1
8th February 2015, 04:18 PM
Yip only buy from jimi and your guaranteed top quality hes a top bloke

jimi
8th February 2015, 04:40 PM
Apologies about the inbox, should be OK now :+:
Regarding the ebay brackets, any from that "gentleman" that you linked to are pirated copies of my design, he's not only copied my design, he's using my name without permission, the video he has linked to is also being used without permission.

I don't sell my brackets in bulk to anyone (barring a couple of group buys from owners clubs), I never have and never will.
Shipping to the US is no problem drop me a PM. You'll also find me on most of the MR2 forums in the UK and worldwide

paulmannion
8th February 2015, 06:29 PM
The person you mention is also on Twitter and was happily boasting to a well known Mr2 garage about his collection of more than 60 Mk1s which he claimed were "all destined for scrap"... I couldn't but think that's what happens if he gets his hands on them. At least it's making them rarer...

Adi64gt
8th February 2015, 06:54 PM
Sounds like he doesn't have fans on here then! Is it the number of breakers that he has? I got offered a Jimi bracket when I bought some parts from him, never realised they were rip-offs.

jimi
8th February 2015, 10:32 PM
What boils my piss (pardon the language) is the prices he charges for spares and the fact that he is using my design and my reputation to sell counterfeit Jimi (my name) brackets at inflated prices.
It goes against everything I set out to do when I started making the brackets available. Here's a quote from an article I wrote for a feature in MR2 Only magazine back in 2007

Making the brackets is basically a non-profit making hobby, enabling me to keep the price down to the bare minimum, just enough to recover my initial outlay and postage costs.
I've never advertised or actively pushed the brackets, news of them has spread by word of mouth and this article, leading to people contacting me asking for one.
I don't sell them in bulk because I don't want anyone profiteering on them, that would kind of defeat my intentions with them, which is to make an affordable, effective mod available to the MK1 community.

Nothing has really changed since I wrote that, the only increases in my price in the 11 years I've been making them has been to cover increased postage costs, I only started selling them through the club shop to try and stop people getting ripped off by our Welsh "friend"
My price for the genuine article is still cheaper than his "half price" eBay deal and WILL always be, I'd rather give them away and be out of pocket rather then let him rip off fellow MK1 owners !

apologies for the rant :)

mk1 dal
8th February 2015, 11:12 PM
100% agree Jimi ,he is taking the pi$$ big time .

Mutley00
10th February 2015, 03:04 PM
So who does everyone recommend to buy 2nd hand spares from then? I spoke to Neil (Welsh chap) as with 50+ cars in his fields, he's more than likely to have any parts I need. He seemed like a decent enough bloke and I steered clear of the Rugby result! Thanks

Scotty
10th February 2015, 04:26 PM

Vistalite
10th February 2015, 05:26 PM
So who does everyone recommend to buy 2nd hand spares from then? I spoke to Neil (Welsh chap) as with 50+ cars in his fields, he's more than likely to have any parts I need. He seemed like a decent enough bloke and I steered clear of the Rugby result! Thanks

Paul Simms is a much more honest chap to deal with, and you'll probably get a nice cup of tea and a chat if you collect in person :-)

http://www.mr2mk1toyotaspares.com/#!financing/c1ato

smaxer
10th February 2015, 05:50 PM
Paul Simms is a much more honest chap to deal with, and you'll probably get a nice cup of tea and a chat if you collect in person :-)

http://www.mr2mk1toyotaspares.com/#!financing/c1ato

Yes, I can vouch for Paul also, picked some items up a couple of weeks ago. Top bloke. And I got a cup of tea! :)

Master-B
10th February 2015, 06:07 PM
Hang on... He made me make the tea when I got some parts from him!!!

kevs aw11
10th February 2015, 07:35 PM
Hang on... He made me make the tea when I got some parts from him!!!

I got biscuits

kevs aw11
10th February 2015, 07:36 PM

lol

Mutley00
11th February 2015, 11:07 AM
I would pay to see the expression on 3 of our senior club officials/well respected members faces, if they read that you have recommended Paul Sims to me!!!

tommundy
11th February 2015, 12:47 PM
I would pay to see the expression on 3 of our senior club officials/well respected members faces, if they read that you have recommended Paul Sims to me!!!

Why? Neil Jones certainly isn't supported by the club, but Paul Sims is a paid up member.

I think Neil Jones' practices are outrageous and the copying of and profiteering from the Jimi bracket sums him up.

Cheers,
Tom

Spikeyray
12th February 2015, 07:31 PM
I totally agree that Jimi is a top man. I had a bracket off him about 18 months ago now!
Ray

superwhite90
13th February 2015, 03:29 PM
Why don't we just report his field to the environmental agency then

Mutley00
14th February 2015, 01:46 PM
When I spoke to him recently he's had to move most of the cars. Rather than an environmental issue, I think it was because he was not using the fields for animals which was what was specified in the legal documentation.

superwhite90
14th February 2015, 08:25 PM
Get a member of the EA round there to inspect the soil and drainage and he will have all sorts of issues