PDA

View Full Version : Dead 4AGE removed

Fozzy
9th November 2014, 06:54 PM
Ok I dropped my old engine today. It's destined for the the bin, suspect head gasket gone. If anybody wants any parts from it, engine, box, shafts etc, then speak now before I let it go

AndyB
9th November 2014, 08:15 PM
Hi Fozzy, is a head gasket generally a cause for full engine replacement or do you just have a few spares lying around?

Fozzy
9th November 2014, 09:02 PM
No, but I have a lovely rev 3 3sGTE waiting to go into it. I had been hoping to enjoy the car as standard over the summer before pulling it apart, but it killed that idea by dying in February, so the car has sat unloved for 8 months. By the look of the oil I'm guessing head gasket, but it may be worse than that, but I'm not bothering to investigate further

AndyB
9th November 2014, 09:19 PM
Ah! That's understandable then. What would that be, approx double the 4A-GE power? That'd be outrageous!

Fozzy
9th November 2014, 09:47 PM
I don't know, what's a stock 4 age? Engine was running about 280 in my mk2, should be pretty fun in the mk1

superwhite90
10th November 2014, 01:01 PM
122-125

Traction issues though ;)

superwhite90
10th November 2014, 01:02 PM
What you want for the block? including pistons and crank etc?

How was it running before?

Fozzy
10th November 2014, 06:34 PM
Nothing at all, come and take it all! I just need the mechanical speedo drive and the oil switch for the conversion. The rest will go to my neighbour for scrap otherwise

cchrysos
10th November 2014, 07:36 PM
Hi there.

Do you have an alternator and starter on it still? Ooh...and the cam covers please?

Thanks

Chrys

Fozzy
10th November 2014, 09:02 PM
Yep has all those things, they were all still in good nick when it was last running. I did have it started briefly to move it to where I'm stripping it, on 2 cylinders, but it started and the alternator seemed to be functioning

cchrysos
10th November 2014, 09:06 PM
If you don't mind sir...I would like to have them please. I can even make a donation to a charity of your choice if you don't want anything for them.

Thanks

Chrys

Fozzy
10th November 2014, 09:12 PM
Does the club take donations?

cchrysos
10th November 2014, 09:21 PM
Good idea...

tommundy
11th November 2014, 04:27 PM
That's a very generous suggestion guys!

The clubs PayPal address is below:

mr2mk1club@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks again!

Regards,
Tom

superwhite90
12th November 2014, 01:39 PM
Where in Herts are you?

Fozzy
12th November 2014, 03:19 PM
I'm in Hatfield

superwhite90
3rd December 2014, 09:56 PM
Il take it check your pms

gonae86
4th December 2014, 09:26 PM
did not notice you were that close ..... if superwhite90 does not take it I will .....
Superwhite90, I would be interested in crank and con-rods only ... any chance you are not interested on those ?
Of course I will take the full thing if you end up no wanting it ...

superwhite90
4th December 2014, 10:56 PM
Hi mate they would be yours.

I want to rob it for the oil pump, shims, pistons, crank pulley and remainder of block and head lol

Rest is yours ;)

superwhite90
5th December 2014, 01:34 PM
anyone got a number for fozzy?

tommundy
5th December 2014, 02:43 PM
It's only been a couple of days hasn't it Alex? Give the guy a chance :)

superwhite90
5th December 2014, 03:44 PM
I'm inpatient ;)

Fozzy
5th December 2014, 06:42 PM
Hi I'm still here, and the engine is sort of still here. It's been sat outside in the elements with the cam covers off it....

It was covered but it seems to have disappeared. If people would like me to start pulling it apart for bits then I can give it a go this weekend, if Alex wants to come and collect as it is that's up to him. I will say the sump still has oil/gunk in it. I'm not sure on the state of other internal items either

cchrysos
5th December 2014, 06:48 PM
Hi I'm still here, and the engine is sort of still here. It's been sat outside in the elements with the cam covers off it....

It was covered but it seems to have disappeared. If people would like me to start pulling it apart for bits then I can give it a go this weekend, if Alex wants to come and collect as it is that's up to him. I will say the sump still has oil/gunk in it. I'm not sure on the state of other internal items either

Im still interested in the cam covers alternator and starter if possible please.

Fozzy
5th December 2014, 08:42 PM
They are off it Chris. The alternator bottom bolt is seized into the bracket, I'll take it into work and get it on a press to get it out, then I can sort out getting the bits to you

cchrysos
5th December 2014, 10:32 PM
Thats fantastic. Thanks Mate.
Let me know when you are ready and i can come and collect.

Thanks again

Chrys

gonae86
6th December 2014, 09:51 AM
should we bring our tools to hatfiled and each one take the bits they need of Fozzy engine and in the end go for a pint ?
I am available pretty much all weekend ...
What time/day would be best for you Fozzy ?

Fozzy
6th December 2014, 11:54 AM
I've finished work for the day now, so I'll start pulling bits off it. The missus has other jobs line up for me so I'll h working around whatever slave tasks she has planned. I'll update this evening what I've got up to. I should be around most of.tomorrow for parts collection or further stripping if necessary

gonae86
6th December 2014, 12:19 PM
kool , drop me a PM with your address /phone number and I will join you tomorrow if that's OK with you .

superwhite90
6th December 2014, 01:51 PM
Hmm I can't really come until next Sunday...is it possible you can get the oil pump off without breaking it? And the pressure sending on the back of the block? That's all I need

Let me know :)

Fozzy
6th December 2014, 03:21 PM
Ok, so I managed a couple of hours on it today. It's all apart. Head off, gearbox off, oil pump off for Alex, ideally I'd like to keep hold of the pressure sender as I believe it's needed for my engine swap, I will double check this though, as I may well run a separate oil temp and pressure gauge, so it may not be required. I didn't get the bottom end stripped down any more, but your welcome to take what remains of the short block. I confirmed that it was a head gasket failure between the jacket and number 1 cylinder. The rest of the bottom end although covered in gunky oil/water mess, is actually in re lot good condition

gonae86
6th December 2014, 04:12 PM
Would you be able to drop me a PM with your address and what time is best for you and I will pick up the short block tomorrow ?
I will then strip it and if Alex wants the pistons he can drop by my place (on his way to hatfield) next weekend .....

alternatively
if Alex wants I can bring his bits too and then bring them to work (Basildon) that according to his profile is 5 miles away from his place ?
as long as he can pick them up during week days in Basildon.

superwhite90
6th December 2014, 11:19 PM
Hi mate that'd be awesome. I can collect on a lunchtime as I work in grays if that suits you?

Fozzy, thanks mate that was really good of you. I'll see how much a pressure sender is from toyota.

God bless mk1 owners!

Fozzy
7th December 2014, 11:35 AM
Gon has just left with the short engine, and bits for Alex. He has got the oil pump, crank pulley, aux pulley and the pressure sender for you Alex

gonae86
7th December 2014, 11:47 AM
It was very nice to meet you :) and thank you for the bits :)

good to know that there is another mk1 addict so near by, please do let me know if you need an extra set of hands.

I do have the bits for Alex. I will wrap them up better now...

Alex, when do you want to pick up ? I arrive at work about 8:30 and leave at about 17:30 but I can stay late one day if you need me to..... Work is next to McDonalds on Carnival Park.

superwhite90
7th December 2014, 01:10 PM
Wat time do you have lunch?

gonae86
7th December 2014, 01:19 PM
12 to 1 with about 15 minutes flexibility

superwhite90
7th December 2014, 04:54 PM
Can we make it Tuesday? I have a meeting Monday at that time I simply cannot get out of lol I'll take an early lunch n be with you at 12.30 if that's ok?

gonae86
7th December 2014, 05:24 PM
thats OK , not a problem, parts are on the car so any day any time really ....

superwhite90
7th December 2014, 10:32 PM
Cool mate can I have your number so I'll text you when I'm on way

gonae86
8th December 2014, 07:13 AM
PMd

tommundy
8th December 2014, 08:49 AM
Hi all,

Don't forget that any donations to the club will be most welcomed! :)

Cheers,
Tom

superwhite90
9th December 2014, 11:55 AM
I'm collecting my bits shortly so will do it when I get home later :)

gonae86
9th December 2014, 05:19 PM
I will ask the final receiver of the short block if he would like to donate something :)

superwhite90
9th December 2014, 11:57 PM
How long did it take you to get home mate?

gonae86
10th December 2014, 07:20 AM
Do you mean because of the accident on the M25 ? That only affected traffic in the morning .....in the evening it was clear :)

superwhite90
10th December 2014, 10:57 AM
It was horrendous as I was in West Thurrock when the brunt of the chaos happened! Took me over an hour to do 4 miles, then I gave up and went home :(