PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Wiltshire

SteveX
30th September 2014, 09:30 PM
Hi All,

Just thought I would say hello and check this club / forum out, it seemed a good place to start with mk1's!

I've been wanting a little old sporty car to look after, bomb around in and tinker with, and I quite fancy the sound of a mk1 MR2.

I don't know a great deal about them, so will be reading through some posts on the forum :)

I wondered if there was anyone near Swindon or Gloucester on here that would mind meeting up so that I could have a chat and perhaps go for a little ride in one to see if they are really for me? As I mentioned I like the old school look and they sound like the sort of thing I am looking for, but want to have a good idea of what they are like and what I would be getting myself in to.

I haven't got large budget, around 2k but it seems that I should be able to find a tidy one for that price.

I did see a nice looking V6 one posted up for sale, bit of a unique car it seems but it is over 300 miles away from me and I think probably sold by now.

I also saw the blue supercharged motor for sale on ebay again, and traced it back to this forum, it seems it has a bit of a suspect history since being sold on from here so I think I will steer clear of that one!

Cheers!

Steve

celica1600gt
1st October 2014, 06:50 AM
Hi Steve
Glad to see somebody close, I live in Cheltenham. I have a 89 T bar in red which is currently on the road until the end of october when i shall put it away for the winter .
More than happy to meet up and take you for a spin, you can give me a call on 07975718146 for a chat and to organise something.
I am a mk1 celica nut , but bought the Mr2 7 years ago as good ones then were getting hard to find , it is a 97k 2 owner car and i must admit i have had loads of fun with it this summer especially with this sunny weather . it is not immaculate but a very genuine original car which still has all its original panels and is still in original paint.
i am gradually working my way round lots of small jobs so that when i put it away there won't many to do next spring when it comes out of hibernation.
give me a call and we can organise something.

malcolm.

SteveX
1st October 2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the response Malcolm, and the offer to meet up :) I normally head down your way at least once a week, I'll drop you a line.

My expectation is that they are a fun little characterful car to nip around in, which is what I am looking for.

Mk1 Celica's are very nice looking cars indeed!

SteveX
1st October 2014, 10:33 AM
Have noticed this one, doesn't sound too bad but ends in two days, so will likely be gone before I can get chance to look at it :( :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-TOYOTA-MR2-MK1b-T-Bar-with-leather-in-Red-the-Japanese-Ferrari-of-its-day-/111472828017?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item19f44c5e71

SteveX
1st October 2014, 03:57 PM
I like the looks of white on black:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C544068

I can't see many other that catch my eye at the moment, but a quick check on the completed and sold listings on a popular auction site reveals that lots come and go, so it might be worth waiting for the right one :)

The colours I like most I have seen are they very dark blue color, black and white.

I have no objections to red or other colors just the above is my order of preference, but if the car turns out to be something I really want and the right condition and spec comes up for the right price then I may have to concede on color :)

superwhite90
2nd October 2014, 10:29 AM
Hi and Welcome Steve.

£2,000 is a good budget and you can pick up a very good example for that amount of money. Even a car with sub 70k miles as well.

Original black cars are very rare, but Mica Blue and white are very common. My first MK1 was red and it was a PITA to keep red all the time! You can get two different variants of white:

Superwhite 040 & Superwhite 043 - there is a distinct difference in colour so be wary if you get a 1989 MK1 as this way well be 043 - it's only a pain when you find you cannot get body panels (albeit second hand) that match you paintwork as most are 040.

http://www.toyotareference.com/mr2/1985-1989

Good luck in your search.

SteveX
2nd October 2014, 12:23 PM
Hi and Welcome Steve.

£2,000 is a good budget and you can pick up a very good example for that amount of money. Even a car with sub 70k miles as well.

Original black cars are very rare, but Mica Blue and white are very common. My first MK1 was red and it was a PITA to keep red all the time! You can get two different variants of white:

Superwhite 040 & Superwhite 043 - there is a distinct difference in colour so be wary if you get a 1989 MK1 as this way well be 043 - it's only a pain when you find you cannot get body panels (albeit second hand) that match you paintwork as most are 040.

http://www.toyotareference.com/mr2/1985-1989

Good luck in your search.

Great, thanks for the info :)

I'd also like to thank Malcolm for taking the time out today to show me his Mk1, give me some pointers and allowing me to go for a spin in his car :)

I'm quite keen to get one, but definitely need to try and be a little patient and get the right one.