PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 newbie restoration project

MarkCL
31st July 2014, 11:15 AM
Hi all - just dropping in to say hello as I expect I'll be making quite heavy use of the forum due to having just bought a SORN, no MOT Mica Blue T-bar Mk1b that is in dire need of TLC :eek: What have I done? :shock: :lol: I had to trailer it home and have yet to really get under its skin to see how bad things might be, but first check has only thrown up a hole in the frunk under the spare wheel, a bad drivers side sill and some bubbling along the top of the windscreen that was treated with curerust so at least hasn't spread. Wings are all solid, but the paint seems shot so it'll need a re-spray at some point, but for the moment I need to get the body sound enough to pass MOT and also get the engine serviced etc. as she's been sitting for a year or more. On the plus side the engine fired up and ran first time with a jump, good voltage from the alternator and all the electrics seem to work fine :thumbup: There's a blow coming from the exhaust (probably manifold I think), but engine sounds strong and am hoping that a cam belt change and thorough service should sort it for the moment at least. I think it does need a new rad though as I have suspicion the current one has had it - any links/suggestions for a nice aluminium replacement would be more than welcome! Anyway - look forward to picking everyone's brains more in the appropriate sub-forums soon :ugeek:

Cheers,
Mark

HowardB
31st July 2014, 07:41 PM
Good work - great to see another one on the way to being rescued!

Sweetpea
1st August 2014, 03:01 PM
What have you done??? My dear chap, you've saved another one. Well done!
You've also demonstrated that you are that special type of lunatic prepared to take on a dead car. But you are among friends here so we'll gloss over that.

The Queen will be along soon with your knighthood for 'Services to Japanese Rust Buckets'. Although she seems to have forgotten about mine - I expect she's busy, poor dear.

Can't help with your radiator I'm afraid. I shall need one as well 'cos mine has got a hole in it but I'll probably get a re-cored one.

Anyway, start a restoration thread and post lots of photos if you get chance. I like reading restoration threads. It saves me from the hard work of actually restoring my own car!

James

Boba Fett
1st August 2014, 03:32 PM
Mark

I bought a 1b last year and had a slight shock when the body kit came off and found lots of the dreaded rot, so I dived in and got a trusted body repair man close to me to carry out the work, the windscreen came out because of rust, luckily it came out and went back in without breaking, new screens are expensive. Had a complete respray in super red as well, new stickers, powder coated the wheels, both ARBs and loads of other metal underneath the car, then lastly loads of rust protection, don't scrimp on that.

Anyway good luck and post some photos

Jon

Vistalite
1st August 2014, 04:16 PM
What have you done??? My dear chap, you've saved another one. Well done!
You've also demonstrated that you are that special type of lunatic prepared to take on a dead car. But you are among friends here so we'll gloss over that.

The Queen will be along soon with your knighthood for 'Services to Japanese Rust Buckets'. Although she seems to have forgotten about mine - I expect she's busy, poor dear.

Can't help with your radiator I'm afraid. I shall need one as well 'cos mine has got a hole in it but I'll probably get a re-cored one.

Anyway, start a restoration thread and post lots of photos if you get chance. I like reading restoration threads. It saves me from the hard work of actually restoring my own car!

James

Ha ha!

MarkCL
1st August 2014, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys - have to say, although I try to focus on what the little beasty will be like when I'm done it's still pretty daunting looking at the ever growing to-do list at the moment :o ;) I'll get started on that restoration thread and get some pics going soon - I'll document the whole process as I go, mainly so I can remember how it came apart for when it comes to putting stuff back on! :D It's going to be a loooong project, but I always wanted one of these cars and I'm going to do my best to make sure this one stays off the scrap heap for a few more years at least, so beating the dreaded tin worm is going to be a key goal. I've already started talking to the car...there is no hope :oops:

Cheers,
Mark

Boondougal
2nd August 2014, 07:55 AM
Great to hear about another person getting excited about restoring a mk1. We obviously need to see some pics ASAP. I took my car off the road probably about 8/9 year ago know. There have been years pass by without me touching it but it has always been a hobby for me, something i can do a bit on when i find the time. I have learn't so much about various aspects of body work, engineering and mechanicals. I never imagined i would have been able to strip an engine down to the cam shaft and then build it back up again. I certainly haven't got it all right and its certainly not craftsman's restore but it is something that i have done with my own hands and will be very satisfying when done.

I hope you find the right level of pace for your own restoration and most importantly keep motivated to get it how you want it, a fixed up runner or bolt by bolt perfect show car.

The forums are brilliant and every job has just about been done before by someone and probably documented so you always have a point of reference which is amazing.. especially when 7 years ago you took something apart and then 7 years later you want to reassemble it and have no clue!!!

Looking forward to seeing your journey!