PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone, Mk1 newbie

RusDub
14th July 2014, 07:15 PM
Hi everyone. I've just bought a 1989 T-Bar in Mica blue and I haven't got my hands on it yet, but looking forward to it no end.

I almost bought one in 1993 but common sense prevailed and I used the money as the deposit on a flat (I know, I know, but it kinda was the right thing to do). So, better late than never.

My mate had a 1986 1a with a natty two tone (green/silver) and we had great times hurtling through mid Wales in it in our student days. The dream.

Student days are long past, and I now live in Dubai but thought an MR2 parked at my mums for summer use would be just perfect.

I have a few questions if anyone can help:

1. The leather seats were knackered and replaced with some bucket-y seats from a mk3 (not nice). Any suggestions on where I might be able to get the leather re-clothed and how much I might expect to pay ?

2. Security - the car will be parked on the street, in Birmingham and is therefore very joy-rideable. Any suggestions on how I might better secure it (Alarm-immobiliser ? cat 1, might that also help with insurance ?). Suggestions most welcome.

Shall post some pics once I get my hands on it.

Cheers
RusDub

AW11mike
15th July 2014, 07:04 AM
Hi RusDub, welcome to the club!

Astro
15th July 2014, 06:18 PM
Hey Rus, welcome to the club mate! I've only recently bought my first Mk1 too! I'm not sure where you could get the upholstery redone, though I'm sure a Google trawl should help there, or search on here!

I'm running an Immobiliser on my MR2, but I don't really live in a high crime zone, it was just already on it. I'd recommend one though!

Boba Fett
15th July 2014, 06:37 PM
Original mk1 seats do come up on ebay from time to time or you could try one of the breakers.

Vistalite
15th July 2014, 07:45 PM
The leather seats in my car were re-trimmed by www.rei-trim.com.

They were done by the previous but one owner, who had it restored and they used the perforated leather so it matched the originals. No idea about cost but worth investigating, even though they are based in Southampton.

Otherwise, you could search for coach trimmer companies close to you, as per previous post.

Original seats in decent condition rarely come up but then the leather Toyota used was rubbish back then anyway.

RusDub
17th July 2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to go for a Cobra Thatcham 1 alarm/immobiliser and try and get some quotes for re-trimming.

Master-B
17th July 2014, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the club :thumbup:

As a price guide I had my seats, doorcards, armrest, steering wheel & dash inserts done for about £650 a couple of years ago, that included new foam in the armrest, seat bases & bolsters.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2014/07/140-1.jpg (http://s914.photobucket.com/user/krisgbates/media/Mr2%20retrim/140.jpg.html)

Most people Ive met over the years with Mk1s who have had just the 2 seats done tend to say they paid around £450-600 so its worth shopping around.

Have fun

cchrysos
17th July 2014, 03:26 PM
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2014/07/140-1.jpg (http://s914.photobucket.com/user/krisgbates/media/Mr2%20retrim/140.jpg.html)

MMMMmmmmmmmm Still my favorite MR2 interior that i have seen

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
19th July 2014, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone. I've just bought a 1989 T-Bar in Mica blue and I haven't got my hands on it yet, but looking forward to it no end.

I almost bought one in 1993 but common sense prevailed and I used the money as the deposit on a flat (I know, I know, but it kinda was the right thing to do). So, better late than never.

My mate had a 1986 1a with a natty two tone (green/silver) and we had great times hurtling through mid Wales in it in our student days. The dream.

Student days are long past, and I now live in Dubai but thought an MR2 parked at my mums for summer use would be just perfect.

I have a few questions if anyone can help:

1. The leather seats were knackered and replaced with some bucket-y seats from a mk3 (not nice). Any suggestions on where I might be able to get the leather re-clothed and how much I might expect to pay ?

2. Security - the car will be parked on the street, in Birmingham and is therefore very joy-rideable. Any suggestions on how I might better secure it (Alarm-immobiliser ? cat 1, might that also help with insurance ?). Suggestions most welcome.

Shall post some pics once I get my hands on it.

Cheers
RusDub
Hi and welcome,
If you need any assistance with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Lexasquirrel
20th July 2014, 03:48 AM
Hello!

Ooo, congrats on your purchase!

I don't really know anything about immobilisers (I've got a Meta alarm on mine?? ) but as for upholsterers you are in a good area. There are lots of places around Lye / Cradley Heath. I had a rough quote of about £500. Would love to see your car if you're ever in the area!

Lexa

RusDub
26th July 2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Update:

Collected the 'blue arrow' (just a code name for now. To be finalized) from North Lancashire yesterday, had a hot but fun drive back. Once I figure out his to do so, I will post some pics.

The car did pop out of 5th on 4 occasions, a bit scary the first time it happens when you're in the outer lane on the M6! I've seen different articles suggesting replacing the box or just the 5th gear and fork. Any thought ? Any recommendations for a garage in or near Birmingham (I am thoroughly useless and won't attempt anything myself...).

Seats - the last owner replaced the knackered leather seats with ones from a Mk3 (MRS edition ones he said) which actually are pretty good. I bought from him, and just about squeezed into the passenger seat, the two originals (in a sorry state) along with the original steering wheel. Would love to get these re-clothed - KGB - that is a damn fine interior - if you don't mind my asking, where did you have it done (and more pertinently, red or blue?).

Security - have booked for a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser on Monday. Hope it doesn't get nicked before then... Might also invest in a Disklok type steering wheel lock.

Lexa, would be great to catch up with a local owner and suggestions for re-clothing/garage that appreciates a mk1 would be most welcome.

Thanks everyone and I'm really pleased to finally own an MR2, it's only taken me 20 years to get there!