PDA

View Full Version : Inter-club MR2 trackday - Blyton Park on Saturday 19th July

Ben
26th April 2014, 04:57 PM
Javelin Trackdays are holing a 'Toyota-only' trackday at Blyton park on Saturday July 19th. The Toyota Sprint Series are currently running a competitive event at Blyton Park on Sunday 20th July, and according to Colin there has been a fair amount of interest from competitors in a track-day thereso they can get to know the track etc.

Colin has agreed to open up Saturday 19th July at Blyton Park as a ‘Toyota Only’ track day. We couldn’t restrict it to just MR2s unfortunately due to potential number issues, but Colin is taking bookings for TOYOTAS ONLY UNTIL THE END OF MAY. If there are spaces available after that he will open the day up to the general public to ensure the day is viable, which I think is fair enough. A typical day at Blyton runs between 45-54 cars and so far the only people who know about this are you lovely lot! So come on everyone, get booking!

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2014/04/BlytonParkMap-1.png

The details:

Cost per car: £139
Format: Open Pitlane
Noise Limits: 105Dba static
Sign-on time: 7.45-9.00am
Helmet hire: £10
Passenger pass: £5
Additional driver: £20
Tuition: £20

Book here:
www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackday/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=835itemid&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

Currently there are a group of us driving up on Friday 18th July and staying at the Scunthorpe Premier Inn:

www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/SCUANC/scunthorpe

Blyton is a fantastic and technical track, which also benefits from miles of Armco-free run-off so you needn’t worry too much about bending your pride and joy. For anyone concerned, track-day insurance is available from a variety of companies.

The list of people who have paid so far is:

Ben Edwards - Toyota MR2 SC
Phil Cutler Toyota - MR2 Mk1
Phil Cutler Toyota - MR2 Mk1
Stan Hawrylak - Toyota GT86
John Ash - Toyota MR2
Paul Medway - Toyota MR2
Keith Stanbury - Toyota GT86 Turbo
Gavin Davenport - SW20 rev 2 V6
Dave Hillbrook - Toyota GT86
Phill Scott - Toyota MR2
Pete Mason - Toyota MR2
Dominic Godfrey - Toyota MR2 Roadster
Andrew Ayres - Toyota MR-S V6

michaeljapp
26th April 2014, 05:15 PM
I think Blyton is around £500 to hire for the day, more for weekends. It would be worth contacting Javlin as they would arrange everything for you. It would be better from a liability stand point as well. Other tracks would be better but Blyton is great fun and quite safe.

You can put my name down depending on the dates. Weekends only for me.

There are a few other issues with club only days. When two members end up hitting each other it causes all sorts of problems and rifts in the clubs.

Ben
26th April 2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks Michael. Ideally I'd love Javelin to be involved, but I'd like to get an idea of numbers before I start contacting tracks/organisers. I don't want to waste their time if it's a complete non-starter! ;)

Ben
27th April 2014, 05:10 PM
Well so far we have 16 potentials across three forums, not including the ROC or the MR2DC. I'll have a count up in a week and see where we go from there.

Am I forgetting any other clubs? Don't want anyone to be left out :)

chief44
27th April 2014, 07:21 PM
I'd be up for this, schedule permitting.

dylbie
27th April 2014, 09:41 PM
Ben would you like me to post in the TARC forum and see if any of the racers are interested? I'm sure some of them would be interested to go up against standard road going cars and some modified ones. Would be interesting to see how fast the race cars actually are.

gonae86
28th April 2014, 06:23 AM
if the dates dont collide with my calenda count me in and I will probably bring a friend with a clio sport if thats ok

superwhite90
28th April 2014, 09:20 AM
Depends how reliable my '2 is on the way and back from Japfest...

Alan SE
29th April 2014, 09:31 AM
Yes, Yes Yes!
Great Idea. I'd be very interested
Alan

Ben
29th April 2014, 11:38 AM
Yes, Yes Yes!
Great Idea. I'd be very interested
Alan

Cool!

Do you have contacts at the DC you could share please? I had a look at their website but there doesn't seem to be a forum?!

Ben
30th April 2014, 12:15 PM
The list so far...

Ashley - IMOC
Phil - IMOC
slipping clutch - IMOC
Ekona - IMOC
Pete - IMOC
JD - IMOC
Race Idiot - IMOC
Lauren - IMOC
Kaiowas - IMOC
Shmed - IMOC
Ben - MR2Mk1Club
michaeljapp - MR2Mk1Club
chief44 - MR2Mk1Club
gonae86 - MR2Mk1Club
superwhite90 - MR2Mk1Club
Alan SE - MR2Mk1Club
1979scottie - MR2ROC
Meeerrrk - MR2ROC
Jrichards20 - MR2ROC
Alex Knight - MR2ROC
dan944 - MR2ROC
paul1087 - MR2ROC
domtheplumb - MR2ROC
james_gt3rs - MR2ROC
gavsdavs - MR2OC
romford.dan - MR2OC
notroubleclubber - MR2OC
mr2madben - R2OC
Woody928 - MR2OC
_Al_ - MR2OC
vinp182 - MR2OC
Olly.Dent - MR2OC
Howlin_Mad - MR2OC
TonyLeFrog - MR2OC
sinjen - MR2OC
Tallboy - MR2OC

I've had some details of a potential day that could look very interesting, but I won't promise anything just yet! Will update when I can :)

Ben
1st May 2014, 02:51 PM
Good news! :D

After a very helpful tip-off from Phil I was put in contact with Colin at Javelin. I explained to him the idea behind my MR2 club day, the sort of numbers involved and the necessity for a day at a novice-friendly track that is still technical enough to keep hardened trackdayers happy. After a bit of discussion around the number of interested people (and allowing for the usual drop-outs etc), Colin has come with what sounds like the perfect solution :)

The Toyota Sprint Series are currently running a competitive event at Blyton Park on Sunday 20th July, and according to Colin there has been a fair amount of interest from competitors in a track-day thereso they can get to know the track etc. Crucially, Javelin currently have booked Blyton on Saturday 19th July and so have had no bookings (yes, I’m getting to the point!).

Colin has agreed to open up Saturday 19th July at Blyton Park as a ‘Toyota Only’ track day. We couldn’t restrict it to just MR2s unfortunately due to potential number issues, but Colin is taking bookings for TOYOTAS ONLY UNTIL THE END OF MAY. If there are spaces available after that he will open the day up to the general public to ensure the day is viable, which I think is fair enough. A typical day at Blyton runs between 45-54 cars and so far the only people who know about this are you lovely lot! So come on everyone, get booking!

http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackday/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=835itemid=11

Costs are £139 per car which is very reasonable for a Saturday in July. Blyton is a fantastic and technical track, which also benefits from miles of Armco-free run-off so you needn’t worry too much about bending your pride and joy. I realise it may be a little ‘north’ for some people (myself included) but it’s well worth the trip and if enough people who expressed interest sign up this could be a fantastic club day out.

Apologies to anyone who has suggested alternative tracks etc, I have had a lot of options to consider but in terms of cost, location, track and having a recognised TDO on board I think this is by far the best option. Any questions feel free to post up here or drop me a pm.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben
1st May 2014, 02:52 PM
Mods, I can't edit the title of this post for some reason, can someone change and add the location and date please? :)

michaeljapp
1st May 2014, 07:44 PM
Will sign up in a bit.
The Sprint series cars will be a lot faster than most of us still finding our feet. Hopefully this doesn't cause any problems for us or them.

Thanks again for the effort in sorting this out.

Ben
1st May 2014, 07:51 PM
Cheers Michael. I don't think it would be too much of an issue, last time I was there half of the cars were bike-engined Westfields which were monumentally quick, but never really caused an issue. Javelin will be capping the number of cars at about 50 or so, which is a pretty healthy number IMO and perfectly workable for all levels of experience :)

Ben
2nd May 2014, 03:23 PM
If it helps anyone, the Premier Inn in Scunthorpe is offering rooms at £29 a night for anyone going up on Friday night. There are several people booked there already, myself included :)

superwhite90
2nd May 2014, 03:27 PM
Hmmmm scunthorpe is a bit far...I have bad memories of that area...with the engine overheating 200 miles from home after leaving immingham docks nearby :(

I'll have to weigh up how much it'll cost etc

Ben
2nd May 2014, 03:30 PM
No worries Alex, let me know. There's a few of us already driving up from the south east (kent, london, surrey etc) if it helps :)

chief44
2nd May 2014, 04:23 PM
Well, damn. Once again work rules me out. Hopefully it'll be a good day and become a regular event. Best of luck with it.

Ben
6th May 2014, 07:48 PM
First post updated with full event details and current payments :)

michaeljapp
9th May 2014, 08:39 PM
Forgot to reply to the thread, but I'm all signed up and confirmed.

I'll show you all with my standard suspension, brakes and complete lack of any talent.

Ben
9th May 2014, 10:25 PM
I really wouldn't worry, Pete and i recently did a track day in his mk1 which was completely bone stock aside from a set of lowering springs. It didn't miss a beat!

!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/10/adasymat

Ben
14th May 2014, 03:00 PM
Quick bump for this one - about twenty cars signed up now, but only three mk1s so far. Does anyone else fancy it?

Ben
28th May 2014, 01:59 PM
....and bump. Numbers are looking healthy but still space for more if anyone fancies it :)

Ben
11th June 2014, 09:09 AM
I've had an email from Colin this morning and it's good news - the take up of paid Toyota spaces is almost half, and in his words, with 5 weeks to go that's pretty good for an idea like this. As such it's being held as Toyota Only for the forseeable :)

tommundy
11th June 2014, 09:43 AM
Great news Ben!

When is the cut off date for signing up?

Ben
11th June 2014, 10:07 AM
When it's full!

I'd suggest keeping an eye on the list of attendees here:

http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackday/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=795

To give you an idea, there's about 50 spaces available so we're half full with several people saying they will pay nearer the time. I'd imagine you could leave it until July if needs be :)

dylbie
11th June 2014, 08:12 PM
Have you spoken to Track Attack Race Club (the guys who run the MR2 Race Series) about this? I expect some drivers would be interested, and all Mk1s :)

Ben
12th June 2014, 10:14 AM
I haven't actually - thanks for the heads up! I shall have a look :)

Ben
3rd July 2014, 08:09 AM
Right, a few people have been asking if there is going to be a convoy up on the Friday night. This is a little bit tricky as people are coming from all over the country, but I’m happy to lead one for those coming from London, South Central and South West.

Plan is to meet at the A43/M1 services and the cruise up north from there. I’ll aim to arrive at 7pm and will hang around, have a cup of tea etc. and leave at 7.30pm with anyone who may have turned up in the meantime! If anyone is planning on joining us and wants my mobile number please drop me a pm.

Likewise, anyone who is planning a convoy of their own and wouldn’t mind a few hangers-on please post up the details and I’ll share them around the clubs :)

Postcode for the services A43/M1 is NN4 9QS.

michaeljapp
19th July 2014, 07:46 PM
Thanks to Ben for organising a cracking day out.
Good to meet a few new people and have a blast around Blyton Park.

Although a little bit wet at times, but that just made the track more 'fun' it was great fun. Car ran faultlessly all day, even the brakes were still working well after 25 minutes or so of track time. There where points where I could have been the only car on track, very little traffic and lots of clean laps. I was just about the slowest thing on the track although once I 'ignored' the comical body roll and just let the car move around it was keeping up with most things in the corners then being mugged on the straights. Only my complete lack of any measurable talent prevented the car from going faster.

PS : Glad I turned up in a car with a roof, rather than something silly like a Westfield.

AW11mike
20th July 2014, 08:19 AM
Nothing silly about a Westfield mate! Giant killers, awesome cars!

jimi
20th July 2014, 10:49 AM

and about as practical as an ashtray on a motorbike, fine for dry track days, silly for anything else ;)

michaeljapp
20th July 2014, 10:50 AM

Winding Ben up as he brought his Westfield and got rather wet.

AW11mike
20th July 2014, 10:55 AM
and about as practical as an ashtray on a motorbike, fine for dry track days, silly for anything else ;) It was never designed to be practical!!!!!!

jimi
20th July 2014, 04:45 PM
It was originally a copy of a Lotus 7 ;)

AW11mike
20th July 2014, 05:21 PM
WOW!!!! you know alot!!!!!!

mk1 dal
20th July 2014, 06:05 PM

They are giant killers mate , the wife's cousin has a cosworth power plant in his producing 350 bhp and its stupid fast . iv been in it once and that was enough has a passenger, speed doesn't normal bother me but this car was in another league of scary fast .

mk1 dal
20th July 2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks to Ben for organising a cracking day out.
Good to meet a few new people and have a blast around Blyton Park.

Although a little bit wet at times, but that just made the track more 'fun' it was great fun. Car ran faultlessly all day, even the brakes were still working well after 25 minutes or so of track time. There where points where I could have been the only car on track, very little traffic and lots of clean laps. I was just about the slowest thing on the track although once I 'ignored' the comical body roll and just let the car move around it was keeping up with most things in the corners then being mugged on the straights. Only my complete lack of any measurable talent prevented the car from going faster.

PS : Glad I turned up in a car with a roof, rather than something silly like a Westfield.

Glad you enjoyed it mate , any pics

jimi
20th July 2014, 08:55 PM
WOW!!!! you know alot!!!!!!
Indeed, nice of you to recognise that :cool:

AW11mike
20th July 2014, 08:59 PM
Indeed, nice of you to recognise that :cool:
You are a Keyboard warrior!

jimi
20th July 2014, 10:40 PM
:cool:

Ben
21st July 2014, 07:14 AM
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2014/07/pVdq7VC-1.jpg

So... yeah. I could have timed my new purchase a bit better! Suffice to say I got a bit damp on the way home :lol:

I had a cracking day though, great to see such a good turnout and I hope everyone enjoyed it despite the showers :thumleft:

Glad you enjoyed it Mike - sorry, I don't think I got a chance to say hello :(

Ben
21st July 2014, 03:42 PM
Few pics up from the photographer here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.625934417504005.1073742080.106007802830005&type=1