PDA

View Full Version : Wiper linkage arm

cchrysos
8th March 2014, 05:54 PM
Hi all.

I started giving the new car a once over today to see what i need to buy and what i need to do.

The first and most urgent part i need is the passenger side wiper link rod as shown in the picture below.

The knuckle joint on the motor end has cracked and cant be repaired.

There are knuckle joints on both ends and are apparently prone to popping off when worn so if anyone has one with 2 good ends, please let me know.

Thanks

Chrys

mk1 dal
8th March 2014, 07:30 PM
hi mate , i have a set you can have , what else do you need i have many mk1A parts and might have what you need .

Gary

cchrysos
8th March 2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks Gary. I need the usual rockinghorse poo mk1a front valances.
I may also be looking for a bonnet and boot. Mine have a little rust inside so I may prep them and spray the inside before fitting for a complete respray at some point.

Cheers mate

mk1 dal
8th March 2014, 07:53 PM
Got the mk1a front valances mate and relays to sort your flirting lights out .

cchrysos
9th March 2014, 06:43 PM
Got the mk1a front valances mate and relays to sort your flirting lights out .

Fantastic Gary. Can I give you a call to discuss? Cheers

cchrysos
19th March 2014, 08:50 PM
So I replaced the linkage mechanism today with a complete second hand set.
It was a bit if a Faf, but I got there.

Unfortunately the passenger side link arm is still popping off the wiper motor ball joint. When I push it on, it seems loose. Should the arm click onto the ball with force? That's what I would expect but I couldn't get it to do so.
Either the cup is worn or broken like my old one, or I am not getting enough force onto the arm to clip I on over the ball properly.
I managed to get the motr off to clip it on so was not just trying to push it on from further up the arm.

Am I missing something here?
Is there a knack to this?
Do you have to use a tool to clamp / squeeze the cup over the ball?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chrys

mk1 dal
20th March 2014, 05:01 AM
hi mate , it will click in to place , it takes a bit of force to do it .

bill hulme
20th March 2014, 07:45 AM
hi mate , it will click in to place , it takes a bit of force to do it .

I once read that to remove the wiper mechanising you should stop the wipers half way on the stroke, this gives one more access to work on popping of the arms,
So it should help to pop the joint on again, I think I used some offset plies.
Bill.

cchrysos
20th March 2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks Bill. yes, i found that to be the way. Luckily I still have my old Haynes manual from many many years ago which was helpful.

Another go today with a more forceful squeeze of the pliers and it seems to be on...all is working for now!

Thanks for your help.

Chrys

mk1 dal
20th March 2014, 03:40 PM
It will be fine now and shouldn't give you anymore problems , that's 1 job to tick off your list :thumbup:.

Gary

cchrysos
20th March 2014, 04:12 PM
It will be fine now and shouldn't give you anymore problems , that's 1 job to tick off your list :thumbup:.

Gary

Indeed it is mate! Cheers!