PDA

View Full Version : Decent looking MK1a for the money.....

cchrysos
27th February 2014, 02:39 PM
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201402191923835/sort/default/usedcars/make/toyota/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/engine-size-cars/1-4l_to_1-6l/radius/1500/postcode/cm227hx/model/mr2?logcode=p

IanC
27th February 2014, 06:59 PM
looks mint for the money, that

superwhite90
28th February 2014, 09:53 AM
A recon engine with NO service history??? Really? I bought one exactly like this with the same mileage with SH and it was crap.

Needs new front valance RHS.

Rest of it looks okay, but the lack of SH is worrying especially when you'd expect receipts and work carried out for the replacement engine etc

cchrysos
28th February 2014, 10:59 AM
It is, after all, a 30 year old car. Service history is the exception rather than the norm with a car that age. For 1500 with generally good bodywork, it looks worth a look. As always with a car of this age, you MUST go in with your eyes open.

The one i have just bought cost more than this, has no real history, is solid in all the right places but needs tidying up in other areas. I think 1500 for this is pretty good assuming the chassis and critical components are ok.

superwhite90
28th February 2014, 01:18 PM
Mine is 24 years old this march and I have all the old MOTS, Tax discs and all the work carried out since I've owned it. It's not got full Toyota service history but it's all there.

I'd want to see a receipt the engine. Recon engine is around 800 quid so goes to show how much the rest of the car is worth.

cchrysos
28th February 2014, 01:29 PM
Mine is 24 years old this march and I have all the old MOTS, Tax discs and all the work carried out since I've owned it. It's not got full Toyota service history but it's all there.

I'd want to see a receipt the engine. Recon engine is around 800 quid so goes to show how much the rest of the car is worth.

That's a VERY generalised statement Alex!

The engine was fitted over 30k miles ago for a start! Secondly, as soon as that engine is fitted, it is not worth 800 quid. Thirdly, the cost of the engine has NO relationship to the condition and hence value of the rest of the car. The 'rest of the car' is only worth what someone will pay for it...which would generally be less if it didn't have a working engine in it.

An alternative way of looking at it would be - the car must have been decent for him to warrant spending £800 on a new engine for it!

Your suggestion/implication is that the car is only a £700 worth of MR2 as it is being sold for £1500 and has had an £800 engine fitted.....Hmmmm

superwhite90
28th February 2014, 04:07 PM
An alternative way of looking at it would be - the car must have been decent for him to warrant spending £800 on a new engine for it!

That's a fair comment.

That could be also said about mine as well, so I retract my view on that.