PDA

View Full Version : Possible newbie

Simcard
9th February 2014, 10:19 AM
I'll keep this to the point for now, looking at getting an MR2 as a project, a bit of summer fun perhaps, and i love the look of the MK1's. Got wind of one up for sale North of Whitby so i went for a viewing yesterday. The asking price is £400. However...
It has been stood since 2005. I'm a mechanic by trade with my own garage so i'm not put off by a bit of welding and such like. However on this car i was having a good poke at all the arches, strut tops, sills ect when suddenly i felt what can only be described as a crator. I found said crator (same both sides) underneath the front arches on what i had believed to be the floor pan. I must say now that it was sitting on shonky mdf with 4 flat tyres and about 2 inches from the ground in the poring rain in faded light so there was no way i could really inspect it. But the surprising bit here is when i lifted both carpets under the drivers and passengers footwells, there were no holes. So my question is, what was it exactly that i had discovered and if you're familiar with it, can it be patched? The holes were probably about 2 fist sizes so fairly bif to say the least. The surrounding metal was very flakey. Do you have any pictures of what i found? I will be a MK1 owner in the near future so feel free to point out any others of interest in the ' needs TLC' category.

Thanks for reading.

tommundy
9th February 2014, 10:36 AM
Hi there,

Welcome to the forums! :) (I'm from Beverley, so not too far down the coast from you!)

I can't tell without seeing the car, but what you're describing might be the box section where the front anti-roll bar mounts. Unfortunately, this is quite a terminal area if it has gone.

There are plenty more Mk1's out there if you decide that this one isn't for you and there's a wealth of knowledge on the forums.

Good luck in your hunt for a Mk1. They're cracking fun and great value at the moment!

Cheers,
Tom

Sweetpea
9th February 2014, 11:25 AM
Morning,

(And welcome). I'd agree that it sounds like the box section that's just in front of the drivers heals. There are plenty of people who have fixed this though. It kind of depends how far the rot has spread compared to how much work you want to do.

Can I suggest you join the club (if you haven't already). You'll get access to a projects section which will have photos of just about every bit of rust you can find on an MR2. Often with the repairs that were done too. Should give you a good idea of what to look for.

James

jimi
9th February 2014, 11:59 AM
It could be the reinforced jacking points under the outside corner of each footwell that you have found, they are double skinned and prone to rusting as they used for jacking. Drivers side one would be more or less under the accelerator pedal, passengers side is a mirror image.

This area (picture is needing rotated 90° anti-clockwise)
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2014/02/DSC00814-1.jpg

chief44
9th February 2014, 01:28 PM
Hi there. As above, it could be where my car suffered. Luckily mine hadn't spread to the ARB mount so it was a fairly simple repair.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2014/02/DSCF8770_zpsee687512-1.jpg (http://s457.photobucket.com/user/cheif4444/media/DSCF8770_zpsee687512.jpg.html)

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2014/02/DSCF8820_zps3e86c3d6-1.jpg (http://s457.photobucket.com/user/cheif4444/media/DSCF8820_zps3e86c3d6.jpg.html)

ian65
9th February 2014, 03:30 PM
Hi,
welcome to the forum...... James' advice is spot on..... for a tenner you can join the club and get access to the restoration threads which will give you an invaluable insight into where these cars rust, what to look out for when buying and how to fix body corrosion.

Ian

Simcard
9th February 2014, 06:06 PM
Ah thanks for the pictures. They explain perfectly what i was fisting (ooo er).

I've had a browse, i love some of the cars on here. There isn't a bad colour either for me which is a real bonus. Cloth seats are a must though.

From looking at the cars, it's clear to me that these things love to rust. And even though i'm handy with a welder, it looks like i should really save up and buy a much cleaner example perhaps from a known member. I currently only have around £1000. Once i own one, i'll have no issues joining up. Certainly seems a friendly place.

paulsims2001
9th February 2014, 08:05 PM
Hi Simcard welcome to the forum
I have a cheap white one available ready to go its motd and taxed until march drives fine just needs a bit of tlc on the arches but its not holed or anything looking around £800 for it with a couple of days work it would be fine
Paul

Simcard
9th February 2014, 08:37 PM
Hi Simcard welcome to the forum
I have a cheap white one available ready to go its motd and taxed until march drives fine just needs a bit of tlc on the arches but its not holed or anything looking around £800 for it with a couple of days work it would be fine
Paul

Could you throw some pictures up in this thread Paul? Where abouts are you?

paulsims2001
10th February 2014, 04:43 AM
Could you throw some pictures up in this thread Paul? Where abouts are you? No problem I am in Cheshire will try and get some later today
Regards Paul

paulsims2001
10th February 2014, 11:46 AM
No problem I am in Cheshire will try and get some later today
Regards Paul
Hi Can you email me direct paulsims2001@yahoo.com or call me as the website wont seem to let me upload
REgards Paul