PDA

View Full Version : One owner MK1b

coverco
16th October 2013, 04:43 PM
Just spotted this, it is listed as a campervan :-)

One owner, low miles and with a good polish it looks in the pictures like it would be a nice car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-/251345815230?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item3a8560c6be

Ben
16th October 2013, 04:48 PM
Nice to see a detailed ad, really helps sell a car... :roll:

Good spot though, certainly worth a look if anyone's on the hunt!

coverco
16th October 2013, 04:59 PM
I am guessing the owner is not terribly computer literate, lising it in the motorhome section is a clue :-)

Having said that Ben the following car is described as spotless and has loads of information. If you look at the pictures though there is one of the b-pillar where the interior light switch is........ Now that is not what I would call spotless :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spotless-MR2-Mk1-AW11-TBar-/221295173829

coverco
16th October 2013, 05:11 PM
Did anyone else notice the tax disc on the red car is on the drivers side? Do you think it means the car has been used on the continent?

cchrysos
16th October 2013, 05:53 PM
It always amazes me how people use statements like immaculate and mint so freely.
The number of times you read 'immaculate for age'. How can it be? Either it is immaculate or it isn't. Age has no relevance in the use of the word.

That red car has been advertised in a couple of sites for about 6 months on and off. There used to be more info. Guess the seller has lost interest a bit. Seems like a good buy.

coverco
16th October 2013, 06:14 PM
Careful Chrys we had a heated debate a while ago about a car being described as "totally original" by the seller :-)

Although if it is totally original then why has it got a big rust spot at the top of the windscreen...... only joking Ben :-)

If I remember correctly I was acused of being racist because I didn't agree with the Irish guys, which is quite funny as I was born in Northern Ireland. Seriously though the only way to buy a car is go and have a look and completely ignore the detail in the advert.

Ben
16th October 2013, 07:10 PM
'Condition' and 'originality' are two different things ;)

coverco
16th October 2013, 07:28 PM
'Condition' and 'originality' are two different things ;)

Without context I would agree with you Ben, however if you describe a car as "spotless" or "totally original" then you are describing the condition of your car as unmarked or as it was when it was new. In the case of the blue car in the Ebay advert I would say it is marked and in the case of your car I do not believe it had rust at the top of the windscreen when it was new, although if it did then I am wrong and it is totally original :-)

pistol pete
16th October 2013, 08:04 PM
i think you have them mixed up there...
sorry but original would be has everything from the factory not played with..
and spotless would then point to body work...

and would not go so far to say Big rust spot.. bit harsh bringing Bens car into this isn't it when its someones pride and joy...

tommundy
16th October 2013, 08:13 PM
No friendly fire please people. :)

coverco
16th October 2013, 08:44 PM
It is a big rust spot Pete and will require the removal of the windscreen to fix properly as the upper windscreen trim has actually been distorted by the rust underneath. I don't think it will polish out :-)

I merely used the fact that the seller described Ben's car as totally original to show how misleading sellers can be in adverts. The seller of the blue car described it as spotless which it clearly is not and that is possibly their pride and joy. I really don't think Ben's car left the factory with a big rust spot at the top of the windscreen but maybe it did!!

Ben
16th October 2013, 09:12 PM
Tommy, I don't understand how you can be so charming in real life and yet so unpleasant when presented with a keyboard.

coverco
16th October 2013, 09:48 PM
Tell me how I have been unpleasant Ben, have I lied or stretched the truth in any way?

Does your car have a rust patch at the top of the screen and was it described as "totally original" by the seller before the person you bought it off?

Did the car come out of the factory like that?

This had nothing to do with your car it was about sellers misrepresenting their cars, obviously as you have not sold your car it was not about you, that is until you decided to make it about you. Life is too short for this nonsense anybody want to buy an MR2, it is not original nor is it spotless, mint or immaculate but it is in very good condition?

PS I am not kidding (hence the lack of smileys)

pistol pete
16th October 2013, 09:57 PM
I see entirely what you are saying but doesn't stop the car being original just not immaculate

It just different interpretations of a word ;)

If you go to that extent then there is never ever going to be an original mk1 or immaculate mk1

As sure very car will have something different on it at this age ;)

Deadly_smell
17th October 2013, 08:16 AM
my car is neither original or in good condition, in fact it's a bit of a shed. This will probably mean different things to different people, but no one will expect it to be made out of wood. Literal rigid interpretation and second hand car adverts do not go together. It will depend a lot on a persons car history - comparing against some of the cars I've owned, rusted out scrap cars look in very good original condition.

This car for sale in London could be a good buy if the price stays low (not mine by the way), it also advertised in the wrong section of ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171150534180?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_63wt_1141

Fab4mr2
22nd October 2013, 03:36 AM
Tommy, I don't understand how you can be so charming in real life and yet so unpleasant when presented with a keyboard.
Ha, ha, ha, sorry, but had to laugh. I'll have to remember that one for later, lol.

But please guys, no more going on about "original", etc, etc, etc. :-(

Ben
22nd October 2013, 08:00 AM
Ha, yeah. Sorry Tommy, I'd had a bad day. I'm not usually one for forum slanging matches and that was unnecessary.

phaeton
22nd October 2013, 11:51 AM
Despite the heated words this is an interesting debate, words clearly mean different things to different people, 'original' to me means part from consumables, spark plugs, tyres, etc everything else is as per coming out of the factory however this could include rust spots, paint mark, worn seating etc, meaning no panels have been replaced, no respray etc. However if the advert said 'original condition' then that would be something entirely different, a car described as that, should be exactly as it was when it left the showroom.

Alan...

cchrysos
22nd October 2013, 01:15 PM
I can hear you walking back to your computer now Tommy lol

superwhite90
22nd October 2013, 04:00 PM
There is a specific thread on this somewhere, please do not make a new one here.