PDA

View Full Version : I went to see this today......

cchrysos
15th October 2013, 12:10 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-MK1-/281184567179?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4177e7ff8b

It looks like a great base for someone wanting to do one up a bit.
Some points to note.

Firstly, the pictures were taken some time ago. The car is now in a hay barn and covered in dust and dirt (except where i cleaned lots of it to look closer)

The rear arches, rear lower corners and rear sills have been replaced and it looks like a decent enough job. All metal and not showing any signs of rust.
The front wings have bad rust at the top of each arch (between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock). They are rusted through here and will need to be replaced.
The front under valance has been heavily painted in rippled stone chip.
The front bumper bar looked as though some parts had rotted away.
There is some rust bubbling up from under the front screen rubber on the roof (front edge). It was not major but was definitely coming from under the seal so who knows how bad it is. This was the clincher for me.
Despite the rear quarters being done pretty well, the paint job is poor. It looks as though the whole car was flatted with 200 grade sandpaper before painting! Many many under paint score marks. looks tidy enough from a distance though.
The floor felt crusty under the front footwell. I think both sides will need welding.
Bottoms of the a pillars will need repair at some point.
The passenger door was pretty rusty at the bottom (particularly on the inside)
The wheels looked pretty good. They are 15 inch.
Tyres would go through an MOT (I think)
There is a stainless sports exhaust fitted but it has one massive (Horrible) exit pipe. This bangs against the valance as it is not fixed very well.
The leather seats are nicely re-trimmed with nice quality leather but i dont like the embroidered logos.
The door cards are leather ones with the inserts trimmed in red leather.
It has a momo steering wheel. ( i am pretty sure it was momo from memory)
Has brand new KYB rear shocks in the boot.
Brakes were not seized on (did not test if they were seized off)

THE CAR IS A NON RUNNER. It is dead as a dodo. I couldn't try anything as no battery was fitted. Could be an immobiliser problem but could do no investigation. There is NO KEY available for the alarm so i could not bypass it.

In summary....
NON RUNNER
Looked quite good from a distance.
Excellent rear quarters.
With a little welding, could probably pass an MOT and be useable.
Good basis for repair to make a decent useable car. front wings, door, bumper bar and some paint would make it a pretty nice looking car.
The roof rust (although it only looked minor) would be my biggest concern due to the cost of replacing the screen.
Seller seemed very honest...nice guy.

reserve for the car is pretty low...could be a bargain if you can get it running easy enough.

BTW.....NO LONGER comes with a roof rack ;-)