PDA

View Full Version : 1986 mr2 mk1a, 81k, tax and test

snowflake
11th September 2013, 01:29 PM
am snowball and cos i can't get my usual login stuff to fly so am doing things this way --- tried using the code that you sent last time Tom and it wouldn't let me in......

so here goes :-

i've had a nightmare 3 months with my mk1a --- started off as a simple hg failure, which turned into a full cooling system failure and more hg failures and more electrical problems............

so it's with a heavy heart that i'm going to let her go to a new home/breakers yard/scrappy in the sky..........

she's a 1986 mr2mk1a, she's done 81,572 miles, she has tax till 31/01/14 and test till 12/04/14.

she has 4 decent tyres on alloys. she's a single seater with the bolts in place to mount a 2nd seat and belt (ask my local council what they've done with my other seat cos i left it next to my car whilst doing some work on it and from what the lady next door said they took it)

she has 3 keys, electric mirrors, 1980's stereo - still works :) - dash works (cig lighter went and blew the whole dash). cord ridged carpet with a hald cord, half suede seat -- both stunning no holes wear marks etc.... -- paint good all round except where it meets bodykit, bit on the near side arch and bottom of pillars - all surface.

engine runs fine at 1050rpm - anything less and it'll just stutter and cut out, gearbox is good but requires double clutching from 1st into second - don't know why cos cos i've had it out and it's all sorted in there. TVIS kicks in at 3300rpm.

this has had --- recon rad, new matrix, new pipes, new hg, new studs, new rad cap, new water pump, new thermastat. this car comes with a spare hg, spare belt, tensioner, water pump. dash fully sorted (last person that had it left live wires in the drivers footwell)

the reason that i've decided to call it quits and go and buy the mk1b i'm looking at is that i've done that much to this one that i've got no love for it at all - it just reminds me of more work everytime i see it. for me it's fine as an ornament but nothing else cos everytime i drove it i encountered more problems so i don't want to drive it.

currently sat outside my house.............

open to offers north of 1500 notes........ it can stay where it is or i can scrap it for that price.

tommundy
12th September 2013, 07:15 AM
Not sure what you were doing wrong Donna. I've switched your membership over to this account for you though.

Some pictures would help your advert. :)

coverco
12th September 2013, 07:17 AM
Good luck with the sale.

I must admit to spilling my coffee though when I read the bit about your passenger seat, comedy gold :-)

chief44
12th September 2013, 07:58 AM
Hi again Snoball. Quick question, on twobrutal you say it's had "6 new HG's plus arp studs everytime". What condition is the head in now?

Cheers

snoball
12th September 2013, 08:19 AM
hiya - the heads totally sorted - flatter than a flat thing, no leaks nothing, pressure tested perfect - it's the cooling system that got the problems and the knock on effect of that is the hg goes.

i couldn't believe it when sally (lady nextdoor) told me what they'd done --- i park it in a residential courtyard when it's not on the road in front of my house and cos the dash was out and i needed space to move around in there i took the seat out and this council has a big thing about keeping the back alleys, courtyards etc..... clean so yup they took it............ :(

tommundy
12th September 2013, 08:31 AM
snoball/snowflake... which user account do you want your club membership tied to? :)

snowflake
12th September 2013, 08:43 AM
use snowflake seeing as this is what i've logged in with please Tom :)

many thanks :)

snowflake
12th September 2013, 08:50 AM

would've helped a bit more if i'd actually read the dialogue box properly - doh :confused:

snowflake
12th September 2013, 08:51 AM
will take some more later - gotta find some batteries lol :)

superwhite90
12th September 2013, 10:17 AM
Snowflake - you have changed the HG 6 times?! - after the 2nd I would have started to investigate other causes. Engine swap would have been so much easier.

The TVIS kicks in at 3300 - i don't believe you- it either doesn't work at all or you have modified the ecu, which isn't very easy to change when it comes in. It should come in at 4500 depending what ECU you have

snowflake
12th September 2013, 12:58 PM
picture heavy time :)

Gilles27
12th September 2013, 02:56 PM
Don't think of it as a missing seat - call it increased luggage capacity!

Good luck!

snowflake
12th September 2013, 03:01 PM
loving that one :)

there's just about enough space for my dog to lie down in now - had to build up the floor either side of the lateral support beam first and then i put a XXXl dog bed in there :)

also now the rain has washed her properly for me she looks half decent lol :)

superwhite90
12th September 2013, 03:02 PM
So how many times did you have the block and head skimmed? And how much material has been taken off...

snowflake
12th September 2013, 03:14 PM
i've had it skimmed twice by local engine machine shop - how much taken off next to nothing, if what i saw is anything to by i mean 1000ths, it's flatter than a flat thing.

if the receipts that i've got are to be believed (and i'm not sure that they are) then it was supposed to have been done once before i had it done, but it looked like it hadn't been done when i took them apart --- cost the guy who had it before me £800+ to get it done.......... certainly wasn't pressure tested cos we got zero pressure out of it after skimming first time - second skim was cos of oil blowing out of 3 and 4 but no problems since - the other hg changes were part of the belt and braces approach i took to it and yet the cooling system still plays up don't know why......... it starts overheating then just goes beyond the red and stays there and cos of that everything got stripped and put back together.

the problems are nothing to do with the head or the block they're fine totally sorted it's the cooling system that's playing up and i've not found a solution - thought i had when i unblocked the pipework going into the block and replacing various other pipes but she just keeps going ping............ not a lot anyone can do about apart from rip it all out and start again - summat i've already done in various stages.

i've not actually driven this with any amount of conviction - it goes through corners like it's on rails, all the lumps, bumps etc.... in the road can be felt through the wheel and everything is as it should be.

superwhite90
12th September 2013, 03:58 PM
Sorry, maybe i'm misunderstanding (its been a long day), but, are you selling this with coolant issues?

tommundy
12th September 2013, 04:16 PM
Hi Donna,

I've moved the posts to here from the "What have you done with your MR2 today?" thread to keep it clean.

Please try and do the same! :)

dylbie
12th September 2013, 07:56 PM
So just to clarify, major cooling issues, possible engine internals damage, no passenger seat, rust, and a mouse living in the front wheel arch! And an asking price north of £1500? Wow this is good news for my car! Must be worth about 5 grand!

Good luck with the sale. I hope someone buys it as a project to restore and doesn't go to the scrappy, but I think maybe the price needs to be adjusted to be sold as a going concern!

snowflake
12th September 2013, 08:16 PM
engine in mint condition

cooling issues --- offers are already on the table even with them. it only overheats when it's on cam - like i said when it's off cam there's no problem don't know why.......

the mouse issue - i don't have a problem with cos it drives like it's on rails and it's only over very rough surfaces that you actually get to hear it --- oh i forgot to add that there's a spider living in the boot with a leg span of about 1.5inches -- he's friendly enough though and keeps my car free from insects :)

the rust is just surface and has had some of that rust converting stuff on it.

price is what scrappy said he'd give for it. nextdoors suggested that i keep it as a dog kennel lol :)...............

Lee Haslam
12th September 2013, 08:32 PM
I want to know where you can scrap it for £1500 as I'm scrapping mine soon!

autobody
12th September 2013, 08:52 PM
Lee what do you want for yours? As a complete car and of course without engine.

Donna good luck with the sale. Love a mk1a, the door cards looks very cool

snowflake
12th September 2013, 09:05 PM

everything in the interior is colour matched :) even the dog bed when it's in there lol :)

i think the scrappy wants to break it rather than squash it.........

superwhite90
13th September 2013, 10:02 AM
This is beyond words.

charged
13th September 2013, 11:02 AM
Mint engine, which overheats. I see.

superwhite90
13th September 2013, 12:49 PM
Snoball fancy buying my mk1b? Ive just rebuilt engine properly, which doesn't overheat, all suspension done, all brakes work fine, bodywork really is mint £5000 if your interested?

I'll send you pics if you want - mine isn't a half ***** bodge job and there is no dog hair plus it's got two seats!

snowflake
13th September 2013, 01:32 PM
like i already said the engine itself is mint - no problems with the block the heads or anything else in it --- it's the cooling system that's tukd..............

i already got a mk1b lined up --- bodyworks a bit trashed but hell --- thankyou :)

and why would i want 2 seats ????? i was gunna remove the passenger seat anyways cos of my dog :) just meant that when it came to passing it on i'd lose a bit.

and it's more or less gone - got a bloke from preston coming to have a look later on.

superwhite90
13th September 2013, 01:44 PM
I have read that ARP head studs have a little bit too much clearance in the bolt holes - that may have caused an issue as well.

snowflake
13th September 2013, 02:31 PM
don't really give 2 stuffs about it now cos he came and liked what he saw - read the history - give it a full once over - handed over some reddies and that's it now :)

THIS CAR IS NOW SOLD !!!!! :)

cchrysos
13th September 2013, 08:36 PM
Did you get £1500 for it? You did well if you did i think....well done!

Lee Haslam
13th September 2013, 09:48 PM
Probably got £2k knowing how these stories go!

dylbie
13th September 2013, 10:22 PM
I guess this is a good thing - if a car with major engine issues, a seat missing, and wildlife living in it can sell for £1500, then this is serious good news for us with half decent cars, and brilliant news for people here with mint condition cars :)

I just wanna know what the guy who bought this is gonna tell his wife! :|

superwhite90
13th September 2013, 10:51 PM
Can cut down on cooking bills as can cook bacon and eggs on rocker covers when it overheats after a spirited drive?

chief44
14th September 2013, 01:35 AM
Amazing

phaeton
14th September 2013, 09:41 PM
Mods,

Do you not feel this post should be tidied up, not quite sure what beef some other members have with somebody trying to sell their own car, but they seem to have a bush up their arse about it. As long as the seller tells the potential buyer all the details what has it got to do with them?

Alan...

coverco
14th September 2013, 10:10 PM
According to Donna the car is sold, so I don't think anything needs to be done Alan :-)

Gilles27
14th September 2013, 11:04 PM
Do we know if it went for £1500 in the end?

Master-B
15th September 2013, 06:28 PM
Do we know if it went for £1500 in the end?

If it went for £1500 then Snoball needs to start a negotiation school. There can be no way, surely?

snowflake
16th September 2013, 10:07 AM
lets just that we're both happy with it and the guy that's got it knew the full history and everything else --- i didn't need to hide anything at all.

oh and it's not going to stay as it was either if what i've been told comes to fruition :)

superwhite90
16th September 2013, 10:15 AM
Mods,

Do you not feel this post should be tidied up, not quite sure what beef some other members have with somebody trying to sell their own car, but they seem to have a bush up their arse about it. As long as the seller tells the potential buyer all the details what has it got to do with them?

Alan...

Okay fair do's - I do apologise for what I said. I was hacked off with my own motor at the time.

I still think its all bull though, but well done.