PDA

View Full Version : D2 Coilovers

coverco
3rd September 2013, 09:49 PM
I bought these coilovers a couple of months ago from Cabbydave, I fitted them and have done about 300 miles on them. They are far too stiff for me I am afraid so I have decided to go back to standard suspension. The springs are 5kg/mm on the front and 7kg/mm on the rear, standard springs are 1.6kg/mm on the front and 3.5kg/mm on the rear so you can see they are stiff. They do make the steering incredibly sharp and accurate and there is obviously no body roll :-)

They are in very clean condition, I have removed the rubber gaitors from them though as they were a bit perished, standard shocks do not have gaitors on so this should not be a problem. I will include the home made brackets I made for mounting the rear brake lines (the fronts I used tie wraps). I will also leave the brand new ford drop links I bought for the front ARB. They have pillow ball mounts front and rear and have castor plates on the front. The ride height can be set as low as you like with these coilovers and you can alter the ride height without removing the shocks from the car. The ARB mount is also movable up and down.

If you have a track car these are ideal but if you want to use them on the road you will either need new springs or a better back than I have :-) Seriously though quite a few people do use them on the road but they do give a harsh ride.

I would like to get my money back if possible, I paid £450 and have added a couple of drop links, they are £640 new on Ebay. I could post them at cost, they are fairly heavy but if anyone is interested I will get some quotes.

coverco
9th September 2013, 09:12 PM
Last chance before the dreaded Ebay :-(

pistol pete
9th September 2013, 09:17 PM
i would love them but no money at my end at the moment :(

Master-B
9th September 2013, 09:24 PM
Nnnoooo ebay is full of whoppers, mongs and biffs. On the plus side these divvies happily spend waaay over the odds on mk1 bits... Good luck mate

coverco
9th September 2013, 09:28 PM
I know Kris, but it is the biggest market place around. I hate selling on it but needs must :-(

Master-B
9th September 2013, 09:33 PM
Maybe you could try the pink site ;-)

coverco
9th September 2013, 09:48 PM
I would rather not thanks :-)

pistol pete
9th September 2013, 10:21 PM
well i hope they find a good home..

Master-B
10th September 2013, 08:25 AM
I would rather not thanks :-)

:lol:

charlie
14th September 2013, 04:27 PM
Pmd

coverco
5th December 2013, 08:18 PM
I still have these, have never got round to Ebaying them, anyone interested?

pistol pete
5th December 2013, 10:06 PM
ohh if only i had the money...

phaeton
7th December 2013, 02:45 PM
Still wanting same money or are you desperate for cash :D

Alan...

coverco
7th December 2013, 03:01 PM
I have not been desperate for cash for over 20 years :-)

I might come down a bit but not much.

phaeton
7th December 2013, 04:19 PM
We're both Yorkshiremen, although for my sins I live about 1 mile the wrong side of the border, so you gotta ask :D But they maybe too harsh for me, can you just replace the springs with standard lowering springs or do they have to be D2 specific ones? I've only drove the Red one for about 1/2 mile & it felt very wafty on the front, nothing like I used to remember, but our last road one was on lowering springs.

Alan..

coverco
7th December 2013, 05:11 PM
I actually don't think of myself as a Yorkshireman although I have lived here for 26 years :-)

The springs are 86mm o/d so any springs of that diameter will be OK. You can lower the car as much as you like and still get full travel on the shocks. Years ago I had some springs made in Sheffield for a kit car I built and they were quite cheap from memory, they are really nicely made from an engineering point of view though.

phaeton
8th December 2013, 07:36 PM
I think they are going to be too hard for me, we had coilovers on the Skyline & I always thought the ride was too harsh.

Alan...

coverco
29th January 2014, 05:55 PM
Now on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MR2-MK1-D2-Coilovers-/121265228936?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AToyota%7CModel%3AMR+2%7CPlat_Gen%3 AMK+I&hash=item1c3bf88c88