PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger

coverco
2nd September 2013, 07:33 PM
Just spotted this on Gumtree, it is nothing to do with me and if it was closer I would go and have a look. As a Barnsley supporter I would love the number plate :-)

It is an auto and sounds like it needs a bit of work so I reckon £2000 is too much but after a week or two you may get it for a good price. The description is worth a read if you like a good laugh though :-)

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mr2-mk1-supercharger/1030743621#photo-content

Mozza
2nd September 2013, 10:21 PM
Yep! Thats my sc, i was going to post an add on here but seams you saved me the effort :p. Any questions please feel free to ask and ill answer best i can, i can also get more pictures as gumtree was having problems adding photos. Thanks :)

coverco
3rd September 2013, 08:48 AM
Good luck with the sale. I just thought I would point out a couple of things. All Superchargers (and tintops) are imports as they were never sold in the UK. The mirrored alloys are standard on the supercharger I think so they are not rare on a supercharger. Did this car have folding electric mirrors originally and you have replaced them with standard UK mirrors which were electrically adjustable but did not fold electrically? Finally I believe superchargers had the same suspension as MK1b cars as standard, perhaps it has had after market springs fitted?

Ben
3rd September 2013, 10:38 AM
Mirror polished alloys were an option on SCs, as were the leccy folding mirrors :)

Not sure about the suspension, the SC is about 50kg heavier so the spring rates may differ... Ride height was much the same though so I'd also guess at aftermarket springs.

coverco
3rd September 2013, 11:04 AM
I thought only the later SC's had folding mirrors but they were standard on JDM models after 1988.

I am also pretty sure the polished tear drops were standard fitment on JDM superchargers, you could of course opt to have normal teardrops and mirrors if you wanted. I have also read that slightly stiffer springs were fitted but am not sure how true this is, off course a tintop will not be as heavy as a t-bar so why would you fit stiffer springs?

Fab4mr2
8th September 2013, 03:53 AM
Folding mirrors didn't come out until the '89 model, and were standard on all jdm MKI's for that year. I used to think they were an option, but got a jdm '89 sales brochure and found out that they did come standard that year. Additionally, all '89's that I have seen for sale in Japan have had them.

Only the rear SC springs were uprated (10% stiffer). Verified via USDM original sales brochure, and elsewhere.

Don't know that the mirrored wheels were option only or standard on any cars, but once they have been refurbished the point is pretty much moot, as most teardrops will end up looking mirrored finish after refurb.