PDA

View Full Version : White/silver two tone Supercharger

forkmantorch
22nd July 2013, 12:55 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-Mk1-Supercharger-/221256946666?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3383f113ea

It's very close to me so I'm going to go give it a look.

Is there anything specifically to look out for with a Supercharger?

andyj
22nd July 2013, 08:41 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-Mk1-Supercharger-/221256946666?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3383f113ea

It's very close to me so I'm going to go give it a look.

Is there anything specifically to look out for with a Supercharger?

Yes, I saw this car. Looks quite interesting. Like you not far from me but I already have an SC.

Well apart from the usual issues with rust SC's have their own issues...

- worn synchro...crunch when changing gears fast
- alternator failures
- SC oil need to be be topped up and obviously no bad noises when it kicks in (does make bit of change in noise, more tonal change). Blower is a part not easy to replace/rebuild.
- note it has a/c removed...that's one less possible issue!
- rear drive shafts difficult to replace
- lsd chatter possible if wrong oil in box. When cold rear wheels will lock making juddery turns until warmed up.

On that car it's nice to see it's a tin top manual, lsd with lowish mileage (though you're not sure if was set correctly when had mph speedo put in). The respray has left off mudflaps, got mysteriously an eagle on front bumper and "supercharger" decals that aren't quite right in size and font though more or less correctly positioned. Shouldn't the stripes be light colour to contrast with the silver/grey? On gauge readings from memory hot oil pressure at idle is between quarter and half...and water temp hot, just below midway. They warm up quickly, probably getting to normal temp in less than a mile in this weather and don't sit at 2,000 rpm at cold idle when warming up like the NA...more like 1200-1400 rpm.

Most importantly they are a hoot to drive and that one has big pulley...presumably with ABV mod. Sounds like it's had some kind of overheating issues from parts replaced so that could be of concern and be a question?

Hope that helps a bit. Imagine other suggestions will follow, Andy

forkmantorch
22nd July 2013, 11:28 AM
Yes, I saw this car. Looks quite interesting. Like you not far from me but I already have an SC.

Well apart from the usual issues with rust SC's have their own issues...

- worn synchro...crunch when changing gears fast
- alternator failures
- SC oil need to be be topped up and obviously no bad noises when it kicks in (does make bit of change in noise, more tonal change). Blower is a part not easy to replace/rebuild.
- note it has a/c removed...that's one less possible issue!
- rear drive shafts difficult to replace
- lsd chatter possible if wrong oil in box. When cold rear wheels will lock making juddery turns until warmed up.

On that car it's nice to see it's a tin top manual, lsd with lowish mileage (though you're not sure if was set correctly when had mph speedo put in). The respray has left off mudflaps, got mysteriously an eagle on front bumper and "supercharger" decals that aren't quite right in size and font though more or less correctly positioned. Shouldn't the stripes be light colour to contrast with the silver/grey? On gauge readings from memory hot oil pressure at idle is between quarter and half...and water temp hot, just below midway. They warm up quickly, probably getting to normal temp in less than a mile in this weather and don't sit at 2,000 rpm at cold idle when warming up like the NA...more like 1200-1400 rpm.

Most importantly they are a hoot to drive and that one has big pulley...presumably with ABV mod. Sounds like it's had some kind of overheating issues from parts replaced so that could be of concern and be a question?

Hope that helps a bit. Imagine other suggestions will follow, Andy

Thanks, that gives me quite a lot of insight and things to question.

I've contacted the seller and he gave me the number of his mechanic to contact and organise a test drive ( apparently the car is with him). So I'll see if I can view it this week.

andyj
22nd July 2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks, that gives me quite a lot of insight and things to question.

I've contacted the seller and he gave me the number of his mechanic to contact and organise a test drive ( apparently the car is with him). So I'll see if I can view it this week.

Real pleasure. Hope it works out. Rust issue is probably main issue I think on value of the car.

ziggy
22nd July 2013, 08:46 PM
My old car, purchased by present owner from me 3 years ago.

The mileage is genuine, verified with old MOT's dating back to import(supplied to present owner).

I was also responsible for spending a lot of time/money on the car, after it had sat on Richard Morgan's drive for 2 years without moving!

To quote Lauren 'one of the best handling Mk 1's she had driven'.

Just to promote a small debate, the 'issue' with supercharger decals, might want to be taken up with the person in Japan that fitted them. In my opinion of course!

andyj
23rd July 2013, 06:50 AM
My old car, purchased by present owner from me 3 years ago.

The mileage is genuine, verified with old MOT's dating back to import(supplied to present owner).

I was also responsible for spending a lot of time/money on the car, after it had sat on Richard Morgan's drive for 2 years without moving!

To quote Lauren 'one of the best handling Mk 1's she had driven'.

Just to promote a small debate, the 'issue' with supercharger decals, might want to be taken up with the person in Japan that fitted them. In my opinion of course!

Very good to hear about background and mileage. Looking again maybe those decals are original - at a glance I thought they looked a bit tall on the letters. They are in right position though. If there's no hidden rust issues this looks a good car for the money.

ziggy
23rd July 2013, 09:26 AM
Hi Andy

When it left me, it was a very straight/honest car - no hidden nasties. Then again, a 25 year old Toyota with no rust!

I am not sure I would pay the £4.6k asking price now though. A question of supply and demand, but it only needs to take one persons fancy.

andyj
23rd July 2013, 11:25 AM
Hi Andy

When it left me, it was a very straight/honest car - no hidden nasties. Then again, a 25 year old Toyota with no rust!

I am not sure I would pay the £4.6k asking price now though. A question of supply and demand, but it only needs to take one persons fancy.

Hi Zig,

Sounds better and better this car. It's very sought after spec isn't it - manual, tin top, lsd, the colour scheme. It also looks very nice condition. Items fixed like calipers, radiator, alternator are new items very much worth having. I hope it's good and likewise goes for a good price. As an SC owner I like to see prices holding up :).

Andy

forkmantorch
24th July 2013, 07:20 PM
Just got back from seeing it.

Car looks nice and pretty solid.

The windscreen has been replaced, fairly recently I think, the mechanic said there had been some rust and leaking prior to that, and I did notice there was some mildew behind the drivers visor when flipped down. Not sure how much of a concern that should be, though the mechanic said they had dealt with the rust before fitting the new screen. The outside trim along the top wasn't the standard trim and wasn't quite flush on the passengers side.

Apparently the owner put a screwdriver through the radiator when trying to remove the old fan to give it a clean, so they fitted a new radiator and the Kenlowe fan as a replacement.

Armed with my limited mechanical knowledge and Andyj's check list, everything seemed normal while the car was cold and after the ~2 mile test drive. I wasn't able to drive it my self as the car is SORN so my policy wouldn't cover it (think that's why the car is with the mechanic for viewings).

I'm sorely tempted, though probably not at the buy it now price advertised, might see where the bidding goes and make him an offer.

andyj
24th July 2013, 08:01 PM
Just got back from seeing it.

Car looks nice and pretty solid.

The windscreen has been replaced, fairly recently I think, the mechanic said there had been some rust and leaking prior to that, and I did notice there was some mildew behind the drivers visor when flipped down. Not sure how much of a concern that should be, though the mechanic said they had dealt with the rust before fitting the new screen. The outside trim along the top wasn't the standard trim and wasn't quite flush on the passengers side.

Apparently the owner put a screwdriver through the radiator when trying to remove the old fan to give it a clean, so they fitted a new radiator and the Kenlowe fan as a replacement.

Armed with my limited mechanical knowledge and Andyj's check list, everything seemed normal while the car was cold and after the ~2 mile test drive. I wasn't able to drive it my self as the car is SORN so my policy wouldn't cover it (think that's why the car is with the mechanic for viewings).

I'm sorely tempted, though probably not at the buy it now price advertised, might see where the bidding goes and make him an offer.

Brilliant report. Yes, the answer seems to be where the bidding goes. Thanks for taking the trouble to write this up. Sounds a useless car so no one need bid ;)

coverco
24th July 2013, 08:38 PM
I am sure it is a very nice car but look at Bens Super Edition and what he payed for it and £3700 might seem a bit high. Obviously this is just my opinion but if I was going to spend that sort of money on a MK1 I would be looking at Richard Bretts V6 :-)

Ben
24th July 2013, 09:02 PM
True, but I've spent a lot more on it since Tommy! £3700 (or more, depending in the bidding) seems more than fair for a well sorted solid SC in my eyes.

coverco
24th July 2013, 09:11 PM
I know you have Ben, this is the problem with 25 year old cars. Unless a MK1 has had a full nut and bolt strip down and rebuild they are all going to need some work in the future. Unless you do the work yourself owning and running old cars is an expensive hobby :-)

forkmantorch
1st August 2013, 10:04 PM
So I'm going to make an offer on the car tomorrow, I'm kind of having reservations now, just curious if anyone could give me a breakdown of the ins and outs of running one of these?

andyj
2nd August 2013, 07:42 AM
So I'm going to make an offer on the car tomorrow, I'm kind of having reservations now, just curious if anyone could give me a breakdown of the ins and outs of running one of these?

An offer sounds an idea. Must confess I'm very surprised it didn't do anything on ebay. Plenty of watchers but no one took the plunge.

Well they run on Super Unleaded so that costs a bit more. With big pulley it will use more petrol than NA. If you don't put your foot down and activate the supercharger petrol consumpton is very similar to NA ...in my experience. Insurance similar to NA, again in my experience. Be careful insurer knows it is an import supercharger. DVLA database probably just says "MR2" and it's 1600 cc. Some companies work from that so might think it is an NA.

There's good support on Forums and there is a dedicated Supercharger Forum that you can join by invitation, run by Lauren and Mark on IMOC. Parts are mostly easy, sharing body components with NA. Toyota dealers helpful, with complete listings for the model working from the chassis number as per usual. As mentioned earlier there are one or two SC parts not available new, most specifically blower and driveshafts. On the SC Forum members often have old stocks of parts and share these. Sometimes members assist others doing repairs if you feed them! There are other SC owners not far from you.

Good luck with whatever you do. Hope you buy it.

cchrysos
2nd August 2013, 12:26 PM
It's now up for 3550 I believe.

Ben
2nd August 2013, 03:45 PM
Andy's got it pretty spot-on to be honest - there's a few SC-specific parts which can be awkward to get hold of, but if you hunt around there are all sorts of websites around the world that will help you get what you want. Companies like RockAuto Parts in the US have a good reputation for obscure parts at reasonable prices and with surprisingly quick shipping :)

You won't regret getting an SC, though - they're a huge amount of fun :D

coverco
2nd August 2013, 04:06 PM
I thought the whole point of a Supercharger was that it was always active even at low revs, am I wrong?

forkmantorch
2nd August 2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I always seem to get a bit of pre-buyers remorse before spending money, always enjoy it though :)

forkmantorch
2nd August 2013, 11:24 PM
Well he accepted my offer of £3300. Was expecting a bit of haggling but it's mine soon!

Ben
2nd August 2013, 11:27 PM
Good news! :D

forkmantorch
2nd August 2013, 11:44 PM
Yup :)

Made the deposit and hopefully everything will go smoothly and I'll have it Monday/Tuesday.

Ben
3rd August 2013, 09:30 AM
Awesome! Looks like you're not far from me, nice to have another one fairly local. Aside from meets, I've not seen a single mk1 on the road in the UK since buying mine in Feb, let alone another SC.

Ben
3rd August 2013, 09:35 AM
I thought the whole point of a Supercharger was that it was always active even at low revs, am I wrong?

The SC pulley contains an electro magnetic clutch, which activates based on throttle position. When you're cruising on a light throttle the SC is disengaged, but if you put your foot down at any revs it will engage and give instant boost.

andyj
3rd August 2013, 12:41 PM
Blow me £3300. That's an incredible deal for you. Well done. Locked after that's a good investment I think. More importantly, as Ben says, the SC is an incredible driving experience. With bigger pulley you're certainly going to feel the power surge ...I've standard pulley it it's still good. Yes, the supercharger just engages when you need it. I think there's other cars like that such as the Range Rover Supercharged? I've had cars with constantly driven blower and really it's like simply having a bigger cc engine. The MR2 SC is a bit Jekyll and Hyde to drive which really is the fun element. Also it gives good mpg if you want to drive economically.

forkmantorch
5th August 2013, 06:54 PM
It's sitting in my garage, thinking wistfully about me I'm sure. :)

andyj
5th August 2013, 07:46 PM
It's sitting in my garage, thinking wistfully about me I'm sure. :)

Well soon you will be thinking about it ...a lot :).

Forgot to tell you it becomes an obsession ...according to my wife!

forkmantorch
5th August 2013, 09:32 PM
Well soon you will be thinking about it ...a lot :).

Forgot to tell you it becomes an obsession ...according to my wife!

Hehe I can see that happening easily :)