PDA

View Full Version : Roof Bars

Se7en
23rd June 2013, 09:13 AM
Was watching a set of these on eBay the other day. When I bought my MR2 I didn't realise you could get roof bars (at least removable ones, or ones that fit a T-bar roof!) for these cars and it occured to me that the only reason I'm keeping my Corolla on top of my MR2 is because I can get a bike in the back of it. However, a set of these would change all that...

I didn't bid on them and watched out of interest as they went for over £200!! Obviously a rare and desirable item. Depending on how the MR2 does in the MOT at the end of next month I'm considering selling the Corolla and using the MR2 with a pair of roof bars as my only car. This also depends on whether or not I can get my hands on some roof bars!!

Any help finding a set would be much appreciated.
Cheers,

Toby

cchrysos
23rd June 2013, 09:24 AM
I had a set of these once. Original Toyota items but they didn't fit the T-bar variant. Only sunroof and tintop.

They are pretty rare now. I have only seen 2 sets for sale (including the ones you mentioned) in a couple of years.
There was a car for sale recently with a set on it. The car looked pretty good value at only £800. Don't know if it sold.

PeteP
23rd June 2013, 02:43 PM
The set that were on eBay were on a t-bar. I was a bit surprised.

cchrysos
23rd June 2013, 05:18 PM
I would be interested to see them.
Does anyone have a link to the ended item? Maybe it's in their bd or watch list?

Cheers

cabbydave
23rd June 2013, 05:20 PM
I'm sure you could make something the rear bolts to the C pillar trims. Its only a alloy bracket but they say it will only carry 30kgs

Se7en
24th June 2013, 12:38 PM
Here's the link to the ended item: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130927049125?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I like the idea of having a set made, but would be good to see where exactly the rear rack mounts. I asked the previous owner and they'd had them mounted to a T-bar with no issues.

cchrysos
24th June 2013, 03:08 PM
There are some more potential options in here.....

http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-1-mr2-aw11/Toyota-MR2-58875-mk1-luggage-racks.html

Se7en
25th June 2013, 09:08 PM
There are now two competing auctions on eBay, both ending on Monday. Eyes peeled and fingers poised...

coverco
25th June 2013, 09:36 PM
Good luck, the buy it now of £220 on one of them is a bit cheeky :-)

PeteP
26th June 2013, 10:43 PM
When I was looking over my t-bar today, I toiled some marks on the edges that makes it look like its had a roof rack on at some point. A word of caution would be that it may bend the metal strips as it has on ine.

Se7en
29th June 2013, 01:26 PM
Prices are heading up on these, not long to go. Still undecided as to whether they'll fit a T-bar roof. The seller of the original ad had the front bar fitted ight at the front of the T-bar near the pins which hold the t-bar in place. There's a lot of previous talk of them NOT fitting a T-bar however. I reckon it's worth a flutter and then if it won't fit can modify it so it doesn't damage the glass. Will also be important not to over-tighten the bars onto the roof.