PDA

View Full Version : auto are they any good?

martin
2nd June 2013, 12:33 AM
The question is; auto mr2 mk1 are they any good? Wouldn't normally consider one, but live in Australia now, MR2 mk1 are few, and low mileage ( or should that be low kilometer-age.... that does not sound right) are very hard to find. But ones come up, close by, at a fair ( for australia) price.Should I look at it, when i love the cornering of the type... and this thing.. will be chance down on me mid corner, or I have to hold it in gear on the "stick".Its an jap import by the way.

charged
3rd June 2013, 09:08 AM
Auto's were discussed fairly recently on here.. you'll find mixed views .

Personally, I wouldn't want an auto box in my RWD sports car!

coverco
3rd June 2013, 09:41 AM
As Ollie says only you can decide if an auto is right for you.

I think I can say though that there are no common mechanical issues with the auto box in MK1 MR2s, the driving experience will be different but different is not always a bad thing :-)

cchrysos
3rd June 2013, 04:01 PM
Personally, I wouldn't want an auto box in my RWD sports car!

I have an auto Jag with rear drive and have had several auto BMWs and have always found it worked pretty well. I guess and old auto RWD combination could be a bit tricky though if you don't have traction control or an ECU controlled gearbox. I would imagine it would be a case of learning how to use the setup to its best advantage.
Tiptronic type forced change systems help enormously and I think the MR2 has this if I remember correctly.

charged
3rd June 2013, 04:41 PM
My fear is, wet corner, unexpected gear change - you're facing the wrong way before you know it. Not for me.

cchrysos
3rd June 2013, 06:43 PM
Yes, I could see that but with the ability to manually hold/ change gear, they often aren't a problem