PDA

View Full Version : Someone should save this...

Jak_01
21st May 2013, 09:51 AM
Just seen this on eBay black Mk1a's are getting rarer and rarer :(
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221229949910

Cheers
Jack

cchrysos
21st May 2013, 10:10 AM
Yes they should Jack...particularly rare in black!

Master-B
21st May 2013, 05:27 PM
Its not easy to tell from the angle of the photo but that might* be a tin top aswell

snoball
21st May 2013, 07:47 PM
it's a mk1a tintop cos on the sunroof model the wind deflector that sits at the leading edge under the removable glass roof panel makes the glass sit up a bit. beautiful colour though and a rare mk1a too - note the rims on it too, they're getting very hard to find too.

might not be the only black mk1a when i've finished with mine cos mine s gunna be either gloss black or candy orange :)

cchrysos
21st May 2013, 08:01 PM
It's not a tintop. If you zoom in, you can see the sunroof. Does look like one at first glance though.

Master-B
21st May 2013, 08:21 PM
Ive had a good zoom and still cant decide, the angle and reflections on the roof could be either/or. I want someone to save it but at the same time I am thinking "raid it for the 1a parts while you can!!"

cabbydave
21st May 2013, 09:08 PM
Its a sunroof model you can see the roof plus its not the best mk1 a they don't have skirts

Master-B
21st May 2013, 09:20 PM
The 86 1a gained skirts as standard so its prob a late c plater

lukemk1
21st May 2013, 09:34 PM
Oh god ..... I can see me ending up bidding on this ... It's on my watch list !!

lukemk1
21st May 2013, 09:38 PM
Just read the listing lol... Might ring him tomorrow see what's wrong with it

snoball
22nd May 2013, 06:05 AM
i got one of the last c plate mk1a's so it's from way before then.......... and it does look like a tintop...........

Master-B
22nd May 2013, 06:36 AM
Why do you think its earlier than yours snoball? They are both 86 spec 1a's...

snoball
22nd May 2013, 07:10 AM
have a look at the "C" pillar and how close it is to the spoiler in that pic - the design of the roof was apparently taken from a corolla - the early ones are longer and the angles are shallower - the spoiler also sits lower on the early ones.

the later ones have a steeper angle off the back of the roof and the spolier sits up more. the spoiler on the one in the pic is sat almost flat and the later ones are sat up a bit more.

you're right they are both 1a's but it depends on when it was registered as to what revisions it got before the arrival of the mk1b - mine shares more in common with an early mk1b - have a look at late 1a and an early 1b side by side and you'll see what i mean.

cchrysos
22nd May 2013, 08:32 AM
The roof lines are different??? I have never noticed this before. Are you saying that the rake of the back pillar is different angles on the two versions? Wouldn't that mean that all the plastic trims, side vents etc would be different? I always thought they were interchangeable. I could understand if there was a slight difference between the T-bar and non T-bar versions (but still surprised) but am extremely surprised if they made such a major body mod between the MK1a and MK1b. I would have thought that would mean repeating all sorts of homologation test etc.

Oh...and...its definitely a sunroof lol

Master-B
22nd May 2013, 10:37 AM
Im not sure about any of that info at all - where did you hear / read it?

Ive been around mk1's for years now & the only difference to the external appearance is bolt on stuff like the front bumper, front valance & some rear suspension components as far as I have ever seen, been told or read up on before, Ive never heard anyone suggest the shell changed within a year of launch before

Have a look here for 1a vs 1b differences http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45035 :-)

coverco
22nd May 2013, 10:55 AM
There is no difference to the roofline on any MK1 MR2 no matter when they were made.

Jak_01
22nd May 2013, 03:52 PM
Whats going on with the MR2's lately, too many are been broken... just found this another black MK1A! wish I had the money and space to save them :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-mr2-mk1-all-parts-available-wheel-nut-for-sale-/300909261780?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item460f96f3d4

clarky
22nd May 2013, 04:04 PM
I'm going for sunroof, and different bodyshells what the f***

cchrysos
22nd May 2013, 04:43 PM
Whats going on with the MR2's lately, too many are been broken... just found this another black MK1A! wish I had the money and space to save them :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-mr2-mk1-all-parts-available-wheel-nut-for-sale-/300909261780?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item460f96f3d4

I wouldn't bother Jack, it appears the black ones are really common now lol

If only as many 8B8 Sky blue ones were coming out of the woodwork ;-)

PeteP
22nd May 2013, 04:57 PM

The bottom line is that they don't hold enough value to make them a "restore for profit" proposition and the rest of us who are trying to keep them on the road are needing a dwindling supply of original parts. Unless you've got a great example, it's likely to be worth in pieces than as a running car.

I find it hard to believe that we can buy such brilliant little cars for under a grand, especially when you see some of the cr@p that costs double under the name of "classic". Once I've got my place in the country I know I'm going to be tempted to pick up another couple with the intention of restoring them - but no doubt some will fall to The One Way Spanner of Doom. :eek:

snoball
22nd May 2013, 06:32 PM
ok here goes - took me a while going through my browser ; this from the list of stuff on wiki.

-- this list applies to vehicles made in 1986 only --

revised roof panel
revised rear anti roll bar
t-bar roof option
revised 5 speed transmission
colour coded bumpers
colour coded side skirts
colour coded stripes
leather interior option

i agree that too many mr2's of every genre are going to the scrappy :(

but like you say they're not worth enough to restore and sell on - max for an absolute storming job is 5k and you'd prolly have to spend that. i wouldn't mind another one and keep this one just for shows and stuff - maybe i'll try and get me a t-bar :)

Deadly_smell
22nd May 2013, 07:00 PM
isn't the revised roof panel just the moving of the ariel to the rear wing, black cars always look to me as if the rear spoiler is nearer to the 'c' piller because the black trim section on the back of the piller, blends into the panel making it look larger

jimi
22nd May 2013, 07:36 PM
isn't the revised roof panel just the moving of the ariel to the rear wing,
:+:
correct
I wouldn't believe everything you read in a wiki, they are often far from accurate