PDA

View Full Version : Crank Pulley

superwhite90
15th May 2013, 11:32 AM
Need one pretty soon

snoball
15th May 2013, 02:32 PM
alloy racing crank pulley available in a few colours from www.fensport.co.uk it costs £115 inc. delivery :) i've got one of these on order as we speak OR if you're after a more standard one then try www.eurocarparts.com they normally have everything that you're likely to need :)

superwhite90
15th May 2013, 02:53 PM
The aluminium crank pulley has not got the harmonic dampener like the standard ones have. These can shake the bolt loose and you'll eventually lose or your pulley will break.

I know this as my mate had an oversize ally crank pulley on his supercharger and it gave way smashing the pulley into hundreds of unrecoverable bits as the bolt became loose due to excess vibration. I've heard many bad things about these on IMOC as well.

I'm about to spend £400 on high lift cams so I don't really want my crank pulley to break after rebuilding my engine.

Euro Car Parts do not sell the crank pulley - i'm after a second hand one anyway.

Cheers

snoball
15th May 2013, 04:08 PM
give cabbydave a shout he's got most bits :)

Boondougal
15th May 2013, 07:15 PM
I have one in a box in the garage.. was going to keep it in case my solid aluminium one broke into a million unrecoverable pieces... could part with it for a good offer though... PM me if you like

superwhite90
15th May 2013, 08:17 PM
I've just accidently bought an ally pulley kit on eBay for £50....! I didn't really want it to be honest but I'll see if I can sell it on lol

Have you tried yours yet?

Boondougal
15th May 2013, 09:01 PM
not a good picture but here is mine on my rebuild:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2013/05/0d5a02a7-1.jpg (http://s819.photobucket.com/user/boondougal/media/0d5a02a7.jpg.html)

engine has been in a year but only had the car up and down the road a few times, so no view on how it performs in real life.

I read lots about it but in the end i couldn't see a clear conclusion that the lack of the damper would be catastrophic... then i saw that PW had put one on a 4age build he was doing and i thought F"£$ it... what's the worst that can happen. plus what's the alternative, put a 20 year old second hand one on that's had millions of revolutions, that's put the dampener under thousands of starts that has stressed the rubber and ultimately could fail at any time...

superwhite90
15th May 2013, 09:07 PM
That is a valid comment Sam about a second hand one.

I'll see if it was a bargain!

I do not believe i'll "instantly gain 8-10 hp" though lol

Boondougal
15th May 2013, 09:17 PM
I do not believe i'll "instantly gain 8-10 hp" though lol

Haha... gain only kicks in if installed as part of the shiny performance mods package... including wing stickers and TRD boot transfer...

Mines not over sized so there was no intention re hp, i just needed a new one and it was cheaper than a 20 year old second hand one. Seemed like a no brainer to me.

Deadly_smell
16th May 2013, 07:31 AM
I've had an alloy underdrive pulley on mine for the last 40K miles without problem, just ensure that it is toqued up correctly and inline with the other pulleys with the correct lengh belt

superwhite90
16th May 2013, 09:15 AM
I'm not going to be doing too many miles so I'll give it a go.

I need to sell the aluminium PAS pulley I got with the kit though - know anyone that would want one?

Have you noticed any difference with the lighter pulley?

The cambelt length won't change will it?

Deadly_smell
16th May 2013, 03:48 PM
the cam belt isn't affected only the aux belt, which on mine needed to be about 25mm shorter i.e. 5pk800. I haven't noticed much difference, but they where already fitted when I got the car

paulsims2001
19th May 2013, 06:28 AM
There is a guy that sells lightened bottom pulley,alternator, water pump and cam belt tensioner all four are around £110 from what somebody was saying .
Paul

superwhite90
6th June 2013, 11:32 AM
I got mine for £58 in the end Paul and sold the rest of the pulleys (alternator and water pump) for £40 so only cost me £18 :)