PDA

View Full Version : new mr2 mk1 owner and need some help engine cooling light came on but doesnt over hea

1987 mr2
9th May 2013, 12:09 AM
Hello I'm new to the Mr2 just got my 87 two days ago. Well while driving to work this morning on the highway the engine cooling light came on but the car didn't overheat can anyone tell me whats wrong and how to fix it thank you

julianw
10th May 2013, 10:43 AM
I may be wrong about this, but I suspect that the fan in the air intake on the right side is not working and the engine bay is going overtemperature. The BGB describes (on page CO-17) the circuit for the sensor and fan motor. Disconnecting the sensor (in the BGB this is shown as being mounted on a bracket at the left end of the engine, over the clutch bellhousing/AT) should start the fan running. If it doesn't, problem is with the fan motor or the supply of power to it.

paulmannion
10th May 2013, 03:13 PM
I think mine did this too, I'm pretty sure it was actually the alternator that had failed and the fan wasn't kicking in. They are prone to alternator failure.

I had the alternator, timing belt and water pump changed and it was right as rain.

Best,