PDA

View Full Version : New Member With Mk1a in Boston, Lincolnshire

BostonMK1
7th May 2013, 09:13 AM
So i purchased my very first MR2 recently as a bit of fun for the summer. I had admired the car every time that i saw it. The car which sat on the drive next to my girlfriends house in Peterborough.

I am totally new to world of Toyota's but not new to the world of classics. I come from a Triumph background but was getting bored with unreliable vehicles that turned out to be money pits.

Anyway im hoping that some hardcore enthusiasts can tell me more about my car. All i know so far is that it was registered on the 16th of May 1985 and is the 8b8 sky blue metalic paintwork model. Oooh and that it doesnt have oem wheels :(

Any information will greatly appreciated.

Hope to be here for a while!

Jon

https://www.facebook.com/jpcoupland?ref=tn_tnmn#!/media/set/?set=a.10151576434785380.1073741825.750840379&type=1

PeteP
7th May 2013, 09:19 AM
Hiya Jon. It's nice to have somebody else here that doesn't know these cars inside out, though I suspect you have far more car skills than myself. There is a ton of knowledge on these forums and always somebody to help. There are a couple of people who are particularly clued up and always willing to share their knowledge.

What sort of condition is your toy in? Have you done many miles in it? Are you smitten yet?

BostonMK1
7th May 2013, 09:23 AM
Nice to meet you Pete. My car skills are not amazing but i can find my way around a workshop :)

Am totally smitten yes and it is in very good condition for its age! Had a full rebuild back in 1999 with all new body panels and respray. Was a very lucky find. As for miles in it ... well i am still preparing it for its MOT but hope to have it on the road in a fortnight.

Yourself?

PeteP
7th May 2013, 10:00 AM
Fancy buying an old car with no MoT. :o Yeah, me too! :oops:

I've had mine for 2 weeks tomorrow and drove it from Thirsk to Kent to Aberdeen over 5 days (3 days of driving). On the way home I got used to it's surprising comfort on the motorway, tested it's unexpected ability to carry 20 roof tiles, 1 suitcase, and numerous spare parts in the TWO boots, and discovered the roar at 4,800rpm on the high roads around Kirby Stephen.

Since getting home I've been out at almost every excuse while still trying to pretend I'm paying attention to my wife when we talk about our current house sale. The sun is shining again today and I am dying to go for a drive. I'm only online to stop myself doing just that when I should be mowing the grass and prepping the house for a viewing tonight. Maybe I'll have time to get the power washer out...

I think you'll be delighted with the tinkering options on the MR2 - plenty to do but nothing like as fail-ridden as classic British cars. Good luck with the MoT. Mine is on 27th.

Master-B
7th May 2013, 10:17 AM
Welcome & congrats on the purchase

1a's are for winners & you have one of the very first uk cars in one of the rarest colours!

One of the members on here Cchrysos has been looking for one for a sky metallic 1a for a very long time now...

Im sure if you want a set of 1a wheels someone on here will have some lying around in a shed if you post in the parts wanted section you never know what might pop up.

superwhite90
7th May 2013, 11:04 AM
Hi and welcome!

My brother had this exact colour scheme many moons ago and it was stunning when cleaned & polished!

These are more reliable than others, but still can be money pits ;)

I personally hate 1a's as I had a 1985 red and black colour code and that was the most unreliable piece of junk I have bought!

But glad you like yours lol

Jimbo_Jet
7th May 2013, 01:04 PM
Just had a look at the pics in your profile, it looks fantastic! Well done you :) As Kris (KGB603) says 1a's are for winners! I've had mine for 6 years now ;) 158k miles and I put over 60,0000 of those miles on myself - so far so good! (Touch wood)

Looking at yours it looks in excellent condition and it wouldn't take much to make it in to a show winner. As Kris says, it's going to be one the earliest ones in the country on a B reg and it's quite a rare colour. Never seen one this colour in the flesh myself.

A common minor fault on the A's is the fan speed resistor pack burning out on the first couple of speeds on the in car ventilation fans, Is that working ok on yours?

cchrysos
7th May 2013, 01:54 PM
You Lucky Bugger.....and welcome by the way ;-)

I have been scouring every ad site on a daily basis for 18 months now looking for one this colour and have not found one. Where did you get it and how did you find it if you dont mind me asking.

If you decide to get rid of it at any time in the future, please bear me in mind and let me know.

Good luck with it and i hope you really enjoy it. I hope to see it in the flesh one day.

BTW...check out my pics...I used to have one this colour and am also a Triumph owner......I know what you mean about them being money pits! I cant tell you how much i have spent on mine.....I have now decided enough is enough and it will be back to show condition very soon and up for sale after 20 + years of ownership. I always said the only car i would sell it for was a MK1a MR2 in the colour you just bought!

Well done fella...enjoy!

Chrys

BostonMK1
8th May 2013, 08:26 PM
Sorry for the late reply to you guys, i am totally shocked at how much interest this car has generated from both my work friends and online!

The car passed its MOT today with flying colours, not even one advisory which made me very happy. The guy at the garage said he was very surprised to see it roll into the workshop and was happy that someone who 'loved it' was the new owner.

cchrysos ... nice to meet you sir! I do not wish to rub salt into the wounds at all but she really is a beauty! I picked it up from Peterborough from a chap who had owned it since 1987. This chap lives next door to my girlfriend and as soon as i saw it i fell in love with it. Not advertised for sale at all but i knew i had to have it. Was surprised when i knocked on his door and said if you wanted to sell it id love to buy it ... when he said £500 and its yours well ... i snapped not only his arm off but everything else as well.

Jimbo_jet, yes the ventilation system is fully working on all speeds, both hot and cold. I am yet ... touch wood to find a major fault with it.

I do know the subwoofer under the drivers seat isnt working (any ideas?) but am fitting a new stereo system into it tomorrow so could just be unplugged!?

Again thanks for the kind words :)

Jon

cchrysos
8th May 2013, 08:37 PM
Blimey mate! That's a bargin and a half! And so close to me too ;-)

If you find you want to turn it around or a VERY good profit some time.......let me know.

Cheers

Chrys

BostonMK1
8th May 2013, 08:39 PM
If i ever consider it mate i will let you know, at this moment in time shes not for sale but i will keep you in mind!

Out of sheer interest, in its current condition what do you reckon the value would be?!

Jon

Master-B
8th May 2013, 08:58 PM
£500?!! You jammy, jammy sod, some people have no idea what they are worth. 1a sub isnt worthy of the name to be honest, they just let out a noise similar to a wet fart! I fitted a new sound system in mine last weekend... but didnt bother with wiring the sub back in ;-) Great news on your MOT you must be made up, enjoy!

In terms of value its hard to say without seeing it but if its as tidy in the metal as it is on your pics then its deffo worth at least £2k, maybe even £3k+ on a sunny day with the right buyer standing in front of you. As I said, you are a jammy, jammy sod!

cchrysos
8th May 2013, 09:10 PM
It's really difficult to say. What's the mileage?
I would guess that realistically its worth 2-3 grand.
They area really difficult car to price in my opinion. There are quite a few for sale at the moment that have been for sale for some time. Some immaculate and very low mileage MK1bs around at the moment for 2.5 to 4k

However, there are Very Few MK1as for sale right now.......especially black bumpered ones.
Add to that the rare colour and it is even more unusual.
In the 18 months I have been actively looking for one in this colour (and I have looked lazily for about 3 years plus), I have found five on the road and 2 needing restoration in this colour. Neil J has one he is breaking, mine old one is no longer registered on the road and there was one on this site that was written off 2 years ago.
There seem to be very few out there but like this one......there will be some tucked away somewhere.

Last year I saw a red one owner 1985 black bumpered car with 54k miles in immaculate condition go fr £2995.
In January I was offered an excellent low mileage (70k miles) back bumpered car in champagne gold for £1200. I should have taken it really.
I know of a fully restored 50k miles rare silver With black bumper mk1a for sale for £2250 at the moment. I am tempted and would not think twice if I had already sold my Spitfire (can't quite bring myself to do it after 20 years of ownership, untold hours spent restoring it and over £13,000 spent restoring it!).

Some people love the mk1as and some really don't. I prefer them over the MK1bs by far. Except...the metallic grey mk1bs. I like those a lot but they are also rare...just my luck ;-)

I'm a patient man....I'll find one and I genuinely wsh you luck with yours.....it looks lie a bargain mate.

Chrys

Jak_01
9th May 2013, 12:43 PM
Nice bargain and my second favourite colour on a MR2! (I have an original '86 black MK1A). I would also one day like to own one in this colour!, I had a rare 85 'champagne' coloured MR2 that I had to sadly break and scrap last year due to uni commitments and lack of funds. My dad has a large Triumph background aswell, hes owned many different Dolomites, 2000s etc (he has a dark blue MK2 2000 at the moment).

Cheers
Jack :)

Andy_MK1
9th May 2013, 05:19 PM
Fantastic looking car mate! Love that colour, always thought it was a bit ahead of itself for the 80s. Look a bit like the newer colours you get on the VXR Astra etc. What a bargain!

BostonMK1
1st July 2013, 09:08 PM
Been v busy tinkering with this since I last posted. Have dealt with Paul Simms and got myself a few bits and pieces. Sunroof visor, upgraded dash speakers and Original alloys hopefully on their way along with sorting out a few cosmetic rust spots. Have developed a small oil leak from somewhere. Any ideas? Hoping to get her looking MINT ready for a few shows this summer!

coverco
5th July 2013, 09:12 AM
Have a read of this for oil leaks

http://web.archive.org/web/20061209114057/http://www.mr2mk1club.com/repairsp82.html

BostonMK1
23rd July 2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks for that coverco. Pretty sure I've found and sorted the leak now :) pesky o rings!

Everything left to do now is purely cosmetic. Pics coming soon!