PDA

View Full Version : Tin Top Supercharger!

cchrysos
1st May 2013, 08:18 AM
Seems like a good price...i guess some of you may know this car as there seems to be a lot of guys with MK1s located in this area....

What do you think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MR2-Mk1-Supercharger-1989-/121103982094?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c325c1e0e

Ben
1st May 2013, 08:27 AM
Looks nice as long as you don't mind an auto :)

It's missing the pin-stripes and side strips, so worth checking whether this was just for aesthetics or if it has had a respray. Usual story really, check for crumbly arches, sills etc. Service history (including SC oil), and bear in mind that some things like alternators are different to the UK spec cars and can be tricky to get hold of.

Kateg28
1st May 2013, 09:00 AM
Seems very good value if as good as the seller says (in my opinion).

I like the colour but then Mica blue is my second favourite colour (after Mica red)

EppingMk1SC
1st May 2013, 01:47 PM
Blimey that's cheap. I wonder whats wrong with it?

The 'hard to get' parts are available from RockAuto.com in Austin Texas, who seem to have a 48 hour turn-round and pretty reasonably priced, so shouldn't put off a prospective purchase.

Ben
1st May 2013, 01:50 PM
Nothing wrong with it necessarily - my SC didn't cost much more ;)

Good to know about RockAuto though - got that bookmarked!

charged
1st May 2013, 02:42 PM
I wonder whats wrong with it?

It has the wrong gear box

cchrysos
1st May 2013, 02:51 PM
Or the right gearbox if you only have one foot like me ;-)

Kateg28
1st May 2013, 02:54 PM
my SC didn't cost much more ;)
Mine did.

And I had extra air conditioning for my feet.

coverco
1st May 2013, 03:56 PM
Or the right gearbox if you only have one foot like me ;-)

Or if you are a lazy driver like me :-)

This is not far away from me, I have sent a message to ask about the missing stripes and the critical question.....

.... Is the interior blue, that would kill my interest :-)

cchrysos
1st May 2013, 03:58 PM
Or if you are a lazy driver like like me :-)

This is not far away from me, I have sent a message to ask about the missing stripes and the critical question.....

.... Is the interior blue, that would kill my interest :-)

Ooh...let me know what response you get please. Yes, the blue interior would put me off too.

Cheers

coverco
1st May 2013, 04:02 PM
Ooh...let me know what response you get please. Yes, the blue interior would put me off too.

Cheers

I will do, if I do buy it I will be selling my current car. Check out my project thread if you are interested.

cabbydave
1st May 2013, 07:28 PM
It doesnt take much to change the interior colour. If you do buy it ive got a complete tin top interior in black, going cheap. You could use the fact its a blue interior to get the price down

coverco
1st May 2013, 07:50 PM
Dave, changing a dash is a real nightmare. I have done it before and really don't want to do it again.

Still no reply from the seller !!

muckyman
1st May 2013, 07:54 PM
I had always thought the Mk1b never had a roof mount ariel. Always thought they were on the rear wing.
Maybe a JDM thing?

coverco
1st May 2013, 08:01 PM
Update : black interior , had some welding, under door seals ??? Hopefully going to look at it in the next few days :-)

cchrysos
1st May 2013, 08:01 PM
I had always thought the Mk1b never had a roof mount ariel. Always thought they were on the rear wing.
Maybe a JDM thing?

Good spot. Maybe it's a tin top thing?
I wonder what Kate's tin top sc has? I can't see for surgeon her pictures but it looks like it may have a roof mounted one.

cabbydave
1st May 2013, 08:03 PM
The mk1b tintop had them on the roof. Dashboards are easy to change on a 2 if you want hard try a merc

coverco
1st May 2013, 08:06 PM
The mk1b tintop had them on the roof. Dashboards are easy to change on a 2 if you want hard try a merc
Floor mats are easy to change Dave, dashboards are not easy to change on any car :-)

I know it is all relative Dave but luckily it is not an issue in this case.

cchrysos
1st May 2013, 08:18 PM
Update : black interior , had some welding, under door seals ??? Hopefully going to look at it in the next few days :-)

Cool. Good luck Tommy.

IanC
1st May 2013, 08:42 PM
I spotted this the other day and got quite keen until I realised its an auto :( which most seem to be! Is it a bit thing to swap from manual to auto?

I emailed the seller asking to go and see it too, I know the a/c doesn't work and it was imported mid 90's, was hoping to have a look this weekend but don't want to step on anyone's toes

coverco
1st May 2013, 08:50 PM
You won't be stepping on my toes, the car is for sale to the first person who pays the money. Didn't know about the air con not working, although in this country that is not such a big problem. I must say though the seller has been a bit vague about what has been welded on the car. Only way to tell is go and check it out. Take a magnet and some tools and if you can take off the side skirts do so. Also remove the boot trim and have a good look inside the arches with a torch.

I like automatics personally but then I am not a particularly fast driver :-)

IanC
1st May 2013, 10:57 PM
Yea I agree with what your saying about the a/c, it definitely is not needed but if it is fitted and doesn't work then it is another thing that 'does not work' which would bug me a bit lol. I would check best I could but wouldn't want to remove side skirts from someone elses car, I got the same impression as you though that some details are vague, I asked when it was imported to get an idea how long its been exposed to uk climate and the seller weren't sure, I am pretty certain it has the registration date on the log book?

Automatics are the best trans to have in big cars but for me I would prefer a manual in an mr2. I live close to woodsport so would ask him about conversion costs before committing to buying an auto.

I asked the seller if he would be interested in a deal with my rev 3 turbo but he isn't :crazy:

paulsims2001
2nd May 2013, 04:51 AM
The mk1b tintop had them on the roof. Dashboards are easy to change on a 2 if you want hard try a merc I agree Dave the dashes are easy to change. WAs tempted my self but have seen some nice 330ci convertables going cheap, need to sell my mgf first and a few of my mr2s

cabbydave
2nd May 2013, 06:00 AM
I think the best person to tell anyone how a auto supercharger drives and performs is mk1dal as he used to own one

Kateg28
2nd May 2013, 08:15 AM
Good spot. Maybe it's a tin top thing?
I wonder what Kate's tin top sc has? I can't see for surgeon her pictures but it looks like it may have a roof mounted one.
Mine is roof mounted. It is just above the driver so I can pretend it is automatic...

(wind down the window and pull the extending arial out)
You can just see it above the a pillar in this shot:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2013/05/037-1.jpg (http://s280.photobucket.com/user/Kateg28/media/Mica%20Red/037.jpg.html)

BARNEY
2nd May 2013, 08:16 AM
I've owned an auto SC and a manual SC. As much as I love all mk1s, I would never get another auto one. The manual SC was a completely different car to drive. The auto felt very unresponsive, a bit like having a turbo lag when you put your foot down. However, if your preference really is an auto then you could do a lot worse than an mr2 mk1 SC.

tommundy
3rd May 2013, 08:52 AM
Looks like a good buy for someone; a lot of car for the money! :)

mk1 dal
6th May 2013, 08:52 PM
I think the best person to tell anyone how a auto supercharger drives and performs is mk1dal as he used to own one

i did own one and like a noob i sold it and regretted it ever since . it did go like the clappers and handled very well on the coil overs . it could also be used as a manual with the auto box and nothing short of a evo would keep up with it on the cat n fiddle it was quick on that road . my old charger is probably by far the best tin top in the country , never welded and totally rust free and only sold it to save it from the crap weather up hear in buxton . would i have another oh yes

BigP
7th May 2013, 09:31 PM
Saw this car today totally by accident - drove past it while the owner was photographing it as someone call Glynn/Gary Wood had asked for some photos of the underside. Had a ten minute chat with the owner who struck me as a decent fella but didn't look like an oily hands merchant so might explain why some of his answers are a bit vague. Said he's selling the car for £2200.00 as they just had a child and he needs back seats. I'm fairly certain someone persuasive could get the car for under £2000.00 if they waged pounds note under his nose - the engine bay looked reasonably clean but there is a bare metal patch of rust on the NSF wing near where it meats the front apron and it's about the size of a small satsuma so there may be more lurking... Hope this helps someone...

8bitplus
20th May 2013, 05:52 PM
Hi BigP got signed up here as you recommended.
Cars still for sale but just had to comment that I'm not letting it go for less than £2000, but the first person to make a good offer might just get it :)
I agree I'm not the most hands-on with cars but I've owned 3 mk1's now and this by far the best. I wish I had the time and cash to put in a1 condition but I need something different now, usual story I guess.
As for the auto box, its great. Very fast changes, smooth and lots of control options and modes. Still good fun to drive and revs lower on the motaway than the manual.
Its had welding and tidying up over the years but never been off the road too long with it apart from the engine work that was a couple of weeks.
Any questions please get in touch here or eBay.

8bitplus
22nd May 2013, 11:58 AM
I may have to consider a lower price on this car. The Auto is the turn off for most people I think.

How many people here have an auto MR2?

tommundy
22nd May 2013, 12:18 PM
If you're not in a rush, I'd hold your price at what it is to be honest.

It all depends if you need it sold quickly.

coverco
22nd May 2013, 12:41 PM
I was going to come and have a look at the car Neil and we did speak. As Tom says if you hold on long enough you will get your price but if you want a quick sale then you will probably have to take quite a bit less. The problem with MK1's is rust and from what Paul says there is some rust on the NS front wing and if there is rust there then it is likely to be elsewhere. The auto is not a good selling point in any sportscar to be honest, personally I love autos but most people who are into cars steer clear of them. Are you based in Leeds during the week? If so I still might have a run out to look at the car.

I see Neil Jones has made an offer and you have refused it :-)

Sorry forgot, to answer your question I do not have an automatic MR2. I have been in a MK1 Supercharger automatic and I must admit to being quite underwhelmed by it. The car did not have the big pulley mod though which might make a difference.

Ben
22nd May 2013, 02:39 PM
The problem with MK1's is rust and from what Paul says there is some rust on the NS front wing and if there is rust there then it is likely to be elsewhere.

Not necessarily... if the car has had some welding in the past perhaps it sorted all of the structural rust problems out? It's worth having a look to clarify before saying for certain either way. Take mine for example, it's had repairs to the rear quarters and has a scab above the windscreen that needs attention, but I've had it up on ramps and there is no rust whatsoever anywhere else on the car.

8bitplus
22nd May 2013, 02:55 PM
Hi Coverco. I don't remember Neil, but if that was through eBay then he might have used a different screen name so its getting a bit confusing lol
Yes, and it'll be in Leeds this weekend too. Your welcome to see it anytime.

I don't think there is much more that the visible areas but without checking it on a full ramp its a bit tricky to tell 100%
The problem is that I've used it as an everyday car for 5 years now, I've done everything that needs doing but never had the cash for a full restore.
Last summer it had a full underside and inner wheel arch spraying, the back arches got done 4 years ago and looked perfect until late last year and an respray to part of the roof that still looks perfect now.

Personally I've always been impressed with the performance of this car, but I don't have the experience with a manual SC to compare with.

Apologies fo hijacking this thread, and hope I don't get into trouble with the moderators ;)

coverco
22nd May 2013, 02:59 PM
Take mine for example, it's had repairs to the rear quarters and has a scab above the windscreen that needs attention, but I've had it up on ramps and there is no rust whatsoever anywhere else on the car.

Unless you have used an Endoscope then you simply can not say there is no rust on your car Ben. I know what your car was like a few years ago and it was quite tatty when Lauren owned it. It was also stored outside for some of its life. I would be prepared to bet that the scab above your windscreen will be hiding more than a small rust patch have a look at my project thread to see what can be lurking behind a few rust bubbles! You know that there are a number of drains on MK1's that drain into cavities which are not easily viewed, once a car starts to rust then it will rust in various places, I have seen rust on MK1's that looked incredibly solid in places you would not expect.

I agree that if repairs have been done by an enthusiast and photographed then you can be fairly confident they are going to last. When I spoke with Neil about repairs the only information he could give me was that any welding needed had been done but not by him, I think in this case the buyer needs to check all the normal rusts spots and also any repairs that have been done in the past.

coverco
22nd May 2013, 03:04 PM
Hi Coverco. I don't remember Neil

You are Neil, and as it says in my signature I am Tommy. My user name on here is the same as Ebay Where I initially messaged you and then phoned you, I hope that helps :-)

You are not hijacking the thread Neil as it is about your car it is nice that you have posted.

tommundy
22nd May 2013, 03:13 PM
You are Neil, and as it says in my signature I am Tommy. My user name on here is the same as Ebay Where I initially messaged you and then phoned you, I hope that helps :-)

You are not hijacking the thread Neil as it is about your car it is nice that you have posted.
I think he meant he doesn't remember Neil making him an offer through eBay. :)

coverco
22nd May 2013, 03:24 PM
Well it is in his offers section Tom :-)

Neil Jones user name is well NeilJones

Ben
22nd May 2013, 03:40 PM
It was also stored outside for some of its life. I would be prepared to bet that the scab above your windscreen will be hiding more than a small rust patch have a look at my project thread to see what can be lurking behind a few rust bubbles! You know that there are a number of drains on MK1's that drain into cavities which are not easily viewed, once a car starts to rust then it will rust in various places, I have seen rust on MK1's that looked incredibly solid in places you would not expect.

I know - it's stored outside now as well :o
Point taken re: the drain plugs, but I'm not trying to pretend that my car is immaculate when it's not. My point is that some surface rust doesn't necessarily mean any given car is a rustbucket through-out, you'd have to look at each car on a case-by-case basis :)

coverco
22nd May 2013, 04:06 PM
I know - it's stored outside now as well :o
Point taken re: the drain plugs, but I'm not trying to pretend that my car is immaculate when it's not. My point is that some surface rust doesn't necessarily mean any given car is a rustbucket through-out, you'd have to look at each car on a case-by-case basis :)

This may sound patronising Ben but it is not meant to be. I passed my driving test in 1981 and my first car was a Renault 4 from 1975, this car was 6 years old and had extensive rust, it needed front wings and a new floor. In the 70's and 80's cars just rusted and when they started to go the rust spread like wildfire. Unless you do a full strip down of a car and cut out all the rust you can never be sure if it is all gone. You said "there is no rust whatsoever anywhere else on the car" now this might be true but I honestly doubt it :-)

We all know MK1's on this website and we know where the most common areas for problems are, people who do not know MK1's will look at Neils car, see the rust on the wing and worry, they will then try to insure it and find out it is an import and that insurance is not simple. Imported cars are always more difficult to sell than UK market cars, having said all that I am still tempted to go and have a look ;-)

Ben
22nd May 2013, 04:17 PM
Not patronising at all Tommy - my first car was a late-80s Citroen AX that was so rusty the bootlid fell off one day!

Go on, get yourself down there and have a look :)

coverco
22nd May 2013, 04:30 PM
Not patronising at all Tommy - my first car was a late-80s Citroen AX that was so rusty the bootlid fell off one day!

Go on, get yourself down there and have a look :)

Now that is a coincidence, my first company car was an AX GT5, I got it brand new. My car though had a glass top to the rear door and a plastic bottom. The hinges were attached to the glass and the top of the body, did the hinges on yours rust or was it the body?

That was a fun car and as it was a company car had an extra 20 bhp :-)

coverco
25th May 2013, 03:33 PM
I went to see this car today. Neil the owner is a nice guy, but he doesn't do the oily bits or body bits on his car. I won't point out the faults on an open forum, I will say though it drives really nicely and with a bit of work will make someone a nice car. If anyone wants any information on the car then PM me and I will try to help.

coverco
26th May 2013, 06:00 PM
Well that didn't end well. I made an offer on the car and the owner verbally accepted it, no deposit was given or asked for but I said I would take the car on Tuesday when the banks opened. The seller then contacted me late last night and said someone else was interested in the car and he has sold it to them. I must admit to being very disappointed, I have always believed in sticking to a deal I guess not everyone does :-(

Master-B
26th May 2013, 07:37 PM
What a whopper. Yes it may be more money in his pocket and he has the right to sell it to whoever at whatever price but thats pretty ungentlemanly to go back on a deal youve shook on :-(

coverco
26th May 2013, 08:13 PM
To be fair Kris we didn't shake on it, but he phoned me to accept my written offer. Quite annoyed about it really, I must be getting old because my word is my bond, but it appears it is not the norm these days.

I hope whoever bought it had a good look at the car because it did need some work, holes in the sills, fire damage under the engine cover, loads of peeling lacquer, dodgy central locking, front splitter held on with silicone sealant, rusty front valances and rear arches and a very nasty front end bump that had pushed the bumper into the bonnet. Nothing to worry about if you can do it yourself but expensive if you take it to a garage. I suspect the buyer might break the car which is a real shame but it would be financially profitable. I had no intention of breaking the car. The classified ad is still active as well, surely it should be cancelled if the car has been sold?

I will have to go to Tatton in my red car now :-)

Master-B
26th May 2013, 08:28 PM
If its still listed maybe it never sold and it was an attempt to get you to bid up. Or it has sold but he just hasnt got round to cancelling it yet. Either way it sounds like its a bit of a project. I hope next weekends weather is as good as this one has been... we deserve a warm and sunny one after last years 3 day washout.

8bitplus
26th May 2013, 09:29 PM
Exactly we didnt shake on it and I needed to get the best price I could. I need another car and that's costing me more than I got for the mr2. I'm really sorry but this is how it goes sometimes.
I've removed the ads now ive had time, and if it goes online again you'll see it in London not Leeds.

I could say I was disappointed too. As after I need informed you of the change of plan, fully in my rights, you were polite and excepting. Yet today its like a different person on here.

coverco
27th May 2013, 03:26 PM
Sorry Neil how am I a different person. You phoned me to accept my offer, we were not even face to face so there was no pressure put on you.
When you informed me of the change of plan!!! What that should read is when you informed me you were backing out of an agreed deal as you had received a better offer.

This was common in the 80's with houses and was called gazumping, no laws were broken but as I said my word is my bond, obviously yours is not.

clarky
27th May 2013, 03:47 PM
You should have done the deal there and then when you looked at it. If you leave that opens the door for someone else to step in, which they did. First with the cash gets the car. Snooze you lose!!

coverco
27th May 2013, 04:02 PM
You should have done the deal there and then when you looked at it. If you leave that opens the door for someone else to step in, which they did. First with the cash gets the car. Snooze you lose!!

So are you saying your word means nothing? What is the world coming to if this is typical :-(

superwhite90
27th May 2013, 04:19 PM
I've only just read the last few pages of this and I'm siding with Tommy.

It's not your age mate, people don't seem to be bothered about words any more. They just care about how much money they can get and screw you over.

To be fair, probably did you a favour, sounded like a right dog to me ;)

coverco
27th May 2013, 04:35 PM
It wasn't a dog Alex but it needed quite a bit of work to get it even up to MOT standard. I ran my hand down the sills and my finger went through in two places :o

I couldn't take the car straight away as I am not insured to drive any car so I had to ask the seller to wait until Tuesday when I could arrange insurance. My worry is the new owner breaks the car to make a quick profit, hopefully that won't happen as with a bit of time and money it would make a nice car.

clarky
27th May 2013, 05:31 PM
I actually sold a van on e-bay to a bloke for £1000 and within ten minutes someone bought the van with the buy it now price of £1200 but I let the first bloke have it at £1000 as I had done the deal. But with this story if someone had looked at my car and went without making a deal or leaving a deposit I would have been a bit concerned if your offer was genuine, the guy had the car up for sale for a while and when a buyer was in front of him with the cash he took it, you can't really blame the bloke. I'm on no one's side as there's always two sides to a story. It wasn't meant to be, who knows it may have been a blessing in disguise

BARNEY
28th May 2013, 07:08 PM
Yes, I've been let down in a similar situation. I arranged to collect an impreza at an agreed day, time and price, then after withdrawing the cash and on the way to the seller's house, they text me to say they sold it to someone who offered more, without even giving me a chance to match it.
Now, I always leave a deposit with receipt or arrange the insurance to be on standby so I can finalise the deal straight after viewing.
Maybe best to hold out for a mk1 SC which doesn't need as much work, they are rare now but can still be picked up quite cheap if you are lucky like I was!

jimi
29th May 2013, 10:20 AM
the guy had the car up for sale for a while and when a buyer was in front of him with the cash he took it, you can't really blame the bloke.
I can and I do, I'm with Tommy on this he made a written offer for the car, the guy phoned and accepted the offer that's a deal in my book ! Unfortunately Tommy we belong a bygone era when your word was your bond, doesn't seem to be the case nowadays :(

charged
29th May 2013, 10:43 AM
If the offer was accepted, it should have been honoured. Poor show.

coverco
29th May 2013, 11:01 AM
Unfortunately Tommy we belong a bygone era when your word was your bond, doesn't seem to be the case nowadays :(

It does sadden me Jimi, the fact that Neil actually came on here to defend his actions makes it even worse. Over the years I have turned down thousands when I have sold houses because when I agree a deal I stick to it.

I wasn't that bothered about the car as it did need quite a bit of work and I would have had to make a choice as to which car I kept (I would have kept both but my wife would have had other ideas :-) )

It is a sad reflection on the integrity of some young people :-(

PeteP
29th May 2013, 01:27 PM
Offer made. Offer accepted. Contract formed.

Verbal contracts, by definition, require no handshake, no written acceptance, and no deposit. Beyond the legal definition, there is something called honour.

You can be the nicest, fairest, most decent person in the world, but if you do something like this it will taint your character. Publicly trying to justify your dishonourable actions doesn't help and you have now given a whole club an impression that won't be easily removed. Sorry but that's how life is and that is why decent people make the effort to play fair. I hope you made enough extra money to make up for the trust that has been lost.

Like the other guys, I have cost myself money by being honest and straight with people. I sleep better knowing that I've done the right thing. If doing the right thing isn't an issue then you won't lose any sleep over it and probably don't even understand what we're talking about.

Mea culpa

PeteP
29th May 2013, 01:36 PM
Im not making a big deal out of this, but since you came on here to defend your actions, I think it would be reasonable to highlight what you had previously considered to be a deal:

"Hi BigP got signed up here as you recommended.
Cars still for sale but just had to comment that I'm not letting it go for less than £2000, but the first person to make a good offer might just get it..."

I know you also said "might just get it" but I'm sure you weren't specifying the conditions of a deal.