PDA

View Full Version : New Member with Mk1b in Oxford

Se7en
30th April 2013, 07:53 PM
Hello everyone!

I've just paid up as a new member so I thought I'd better introduce myself. I'm new to this forum and new to MR2's.

I've had my heart set on a cheap (<£1k) sporty car for a while now. I come from a family which is pretty keen on Toyota's (my other car is a 98 3dr Corolla, I've had an 02 'rolla SR before and my parents have had an Avensis and a Land Cruiser), so the obvious choice was an MR2. I couldn't choose between a Mk2 or a Mk1 until I test drove both and it suddenly became a no-brainer!

I'm not really interested in showing my car or racing. What I am interested in is learning some basic car mechanics and tuning and owning a car I can get out in at the weekend and blow off some steam in, be it on a track or on-road (don't worry, I'm not a mentalist!). This car meets both of those requirements; cheap (so I won't be distraught if I ruin it), T-bar and plenty of room for improvement.

So that's me and my car. If you recognise it, either from eBay, as a previous owner or if you've just seen it around let me know. I would also love to hear from any members in the Ox/Bucks area. I'm very open to technical advice and my main reason for joining this forum is to learn more about these fantastic little cars. Here's a photo of my new (to me!) MR2:

mr2mk1mad
30th April 2013, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the club

You will learn loads on here from various people.

Ben
30th April 2013, 08:29 PM
Welcome! Car looks good, I like the colour scheme. I'm not far from you either (Wallingford), happy to help out if I can! My spannering abilities are pretty limited, but I've been around these cars for about 5 years so I'm pretty familiar with them! Currently on my second - look out for a dark blue Supercharger :)

Se7en
30th April 2013, 08:37 PM
Hi Ben, good to hear from you. I picked the car up from Caversham and drove back through Wallingford; definitely would have seen yours if I had passed it! I really like the colour scheme too, has a Lotus feel to it; no bad thing since as far as I'm aware they had quite a lot to do with these cars. Keen to pick your brains on some initial concerns I have with the car at some time; let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Toby

Ben
30th April 2013, 08:53 PM
Hi Toby,
Tbh if you'd driven past mine you would have been pretty lost - I live on possibly the tiniest road in the place! My car is currently up at Rogue having some pre-Le Mans work doing, but there's a *small* chance I could be picking it up at the weekend. Happy to have a little meet either BH Monday or the following weekend if you like :)

Se7en
30th April 2013, 09:06 PM
Haha makes sense; I was just passing through on the A4074. BH Monday is good for me, following weekend not so good! I'm down in Berks in the morning but I'll be back later on in the day. I'm not sure of the protocol here, but I reckon if you could PM a time and place (if you can make it) we can take it from there :D Cheers!

Ben
30th April 2013, 09:10 PM
Cool! Am on my phone at the mo, so will pm you in the morning when I have a proper keyboard :)

BARNEY
30th April 2013, 09:12 PM
Hi and welcome. There is a lot of helpful information and people on here. Good choice with the mk1! I recognise your mk1 I think. I must have seen it around the Caversham/Reading area.

Wallingford is nice, I used to live there!

Ben
1st May 2013, 08:28 AM
Wallingford is clearly the place to be! ;)

Funny, actually, I've never seen another Mk1 around here :S