PDA

View Full Version : Upgradings! :)

tommundy
26th April 2013, 01:48 PM
Hi all,

Just letting you know about a couple of updates to the forum.

1. URLs are now blue! They've always been quite difficult to read, but this is now resolved and they appear blue with them becoming red when hovered over.

2. I like using the "What's New?" feature on the forum, which if no results are found then it gives you the option to view posts in the last 24 hours. However, if you wanted to see posts from the last 24 hours manually, you couldn't. You now can, as seen in the diagram below:

http://mr2mk1club.com/uploads/last24hours.JPG

Simply click 'What's New?' and then 'Last 24 Hours'.

3. An update on SPAM protection. The anti-spam plug-in I installed has blocked 58,000 (and counting) attempts to register phony accounts on the forum in the past 6 months or so. Before this I was having to manually process 50-100 accounts a day, which was a pain to say the least! So that's performing very well indeed.

4. I've also made security and permissions changes to more accurately reflect the benefits that paid members get as per the front page - http://www.mr2mk1club.com/content.php

5. Stuck a big REGISTER NOW button on the homepage to make it more obvious for people wanting to join the forums/club. :)

6. Lots of other minor fixes in the background.

** COMING SOON **

1. Identification of who are paid members with a user title underneath your username and your username will also become a specific colour; probably green.
2. A committee information tab for seeing details of the club's committee members.
3. Your subscription expiry date at the top of the forum to make it easier to see when you need to pay your subs. (This will only work for people that paid through the forum Upgrade Membership (http://www.mr2mk1club.com/payments.php) method.)
4. Another upgrade to the forum software is due, but I'm well versed at it now so the forum should only be down for an hour or two. Advance notice will be given for this.
5. The return of the club shop!

Cheers,
Tom

Club Chairman & Webmaster

julianw
26th April 2013, 02:46 PM
excellent! All good work Mr Chairman.

Ben
26th April 2013, 03:02 PM
Good work!

Master-B
26th April 2013, 03:02 PM
^this^ keep it up tom youre doing a great job

HowardB
26th April 2013, 05:48 PM
Lots of hard work there, thank you!

coverco
26th April 2013, 05:59 PM
You are just showing off now Tom :-)

Seriously though well done mate.

Jimbo_Jet
27th April 2013, 09:32 AM
Excellent :clap:

snoball
13th May 2013, 06:50 PM
gotta say that i've found your website extremely easy to navigate :) thankyuo so much :)

tommundy
4th June 2013, 04:30 PM
A few more updates:

1) I've finally managed to find the setting for the username popup menu colour settings, which should now look like below:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/uploads/memberactionmenu.JPG

2) Usernames are now colour coordinated as follows:

Paid Member = Green
Non Member = Black
Banned User = Red

3) Changed the visibility of the technical sections so that non members can see them, but can't post in them. Hopefully this will incentivise people to join up.

** COMING SOON **

1. Identification of who are paid members with a user title underneath your username.
2. A committee information tab for seeing details of the club's committee members.
3. Your subscription expiry date at the top of the forum to make it easier to see when you need to pay your subs. (This will only work for people that paid through the forum Upgrade Membership method.)
4. Another upgrade to the forum software is due, but I'm well versed at it now so the forum should only be down for an hour or two. Advance notice will be given for this.
5. The return of the club shop! (Nearly there! :))

Cheers,
Tom

tommundy
4th June 2013, 05:17 PM
Woo, just got rid of the annoying grey bit around the header too! :D

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/uploads/annoyingheader.JPG

Cheers,
Tom

snoball
4th June 2013, 06:02 PM
nicely done sir :)

i could use a new beanie :) have you got any ????? :)

coverco
4th June 2013, 07:54 PM
Hmmmmm now as the new Merchandise person I should be able to answer that question but I can't. Tom and myself will be meeting in the near future to sort out the club shop, are beanies something that people would like? Basically we have very little merchandise so we need to sort out what people want. All suggestions welcome :-)

Great alterations by the way Tom.

Ben
4th June 2013, 10:25 PM
Yep fantastic work Tom. I don't know if it's coincidence or not but the forum seems to be a lot busier nowadays too! :)

snoball
5th June 2013, 03:57 AM
it is but i think that's down to the owners of the cars wanting to get their cars just right and do things properly :)

there is one heck of a lot of intel in these boards and i think cos of that more people are doing a diy job on their cars - so it's a credit to the members that have put the intel into the forums for other people to then have access to and ask their questions - well done for providing such a service :):)

the beanie is a must have accessory :):) along with the keyring :):)

coverco
5th June 2013, 06:18 AM
Now key rings are available, I have hundreds of the things :-)

Tom and I will have a meeting soon and get it all sorted, watch this space.

tommundy
7th June 2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks all! :)

The Garage image uploading issues are now fixed too! It should automatically re-size larger images on the fly as well.

Yep, it's nice seeing the forums so busy Ben. I'd like to think it's down to all the pro-active promotion we've been doing. I also think it's down to communication levels between the club and it's members being better too though!

Cheers,
Tom

snoball
8th June 2013, 11:02 AM
also very much required are the mr2mk1club.com rear window stickers :) another must have for any self respecting member of this community :)

coverco
8th June 2013, 11:46 AM
also very much required are the mr2mk1club.com rear window stickers :) another must have for any self respecting member of this community :)

I actually make the stickers, if you had been at Tatton you would have been given a free one ( these were produced by me at no cost to the club).

Bear with us, when the shop goes live again all these things and more will be available :-)

snoball
8th June 2013, 03:02 PM
no problem :) am just throwing suggestions out there for you it's upto the management as to what happens with them.

as for tatton --- i couldn't go because of work --- i would very much have liked to have met the people with which i converse on a regular basis. it would be nice if i could pick and choose the days i work but unfortunately i don't have that priviledge.

tommundy
8th June 2013, 06:24 PM
I'm nearly there with the membership expiry stuff. I've got a notification showing to all people that pay via our subscription system as below:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/uploads/notification.JPG

I just want to get it so that it's always showing at the top of the screen and then perhaps a month before it's due to expire, you get a warning message as well.

Cheers,
Tom

tommundy
24th June 2013, 05:38 PM
** One more update **

Single year subscriptions have been reduced from 380 days to 1 year - after some testing, it appears that you can purchase an additional years subscription at any time during your current subscription period and the system automatically adds a year onto your existing membership period, which means no grace period is necessary. The club will honour all subscriptions of 380 days that are currently in effect. :)

tommundy
26th June 2013, 12:29 PM
I've just adjusted a setting that means any image uploaded as an attachment now displays in it's full size when posted. Previously, it would just display a thumbnail, which you then had to click on.

Cheers,
Tom

cchrysos
26th June 2013, 12:33 PM
Cool!

coverco
26th June 2013, 12:53 PM
When I upload from photobucket as an IMG it always displayed in full size Tom, however I had noticed some peoples images were thumbnails, I wondered why that was.

tommundy
7th July 2013, 10:12 AM
I've just changed the name colour of non-members of the club to grey, rather than black. This makes them easier to read in more areas of the forum.

Cheers,
Tom