PDA

View Full Version : New from london

mk1maz
25th March 2013, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone,

Just joined this forum as I'm on the hunt for a mk1 mr2, so if u know anyone selling one then let me know.
Iv only viewed one so far till I realised how I like them, colour has to be Red and has to be in good condition.
Ideally tbar would be great.

Any tips on what to look out for would be great aswell - rust and condition is standard lol

Also I wanted to know if this are actaully good in fuel with the current fuel prices -
And how many miles can u get from these for £30

And how much is a full tank on these with today's fuel prices

Kateg28
26th March 2013, 07:11 AM
£30 is pretty much a full tank. They have small tanks. And I get around 180 to 200 miles but I drive it, ahem, energetically when conditions allow. The acceleration is my favourite thing so I explore that side frequently.

superwhite90
26th March 2013, 11:48 AM
Sorry Kate but that’s incorrect.

The mk1 tank is 41 litres, so really £30 is just over half a tank. A full tank at about £1.35 / Litre will cost about £55.00 but I have never been able to put in 41 litres, even with the red light on, if you work to 35-36 litres £47-£50 that'll work.

I used to get between 38 and 44 MPG when driving sensibly, but at other times around 30 MPG as like Kate the loud pedal is just too appealing! On a tank you'll be looking at around 250-280.

Problem with the colour RED is that it turns pink sometimes easily if you don't keep it waxed / polished regularly. I had a red mk1a and it was a PITA. Red is also a pain to match if you have any panels resprayed. Not trying to disuede you, just letting you know.

Check all the wheel arches, the ARB areas do rust on their mounting points so checking underneath the car is a must. Checking where the door hinge (A-PILLAR) and where it locks (B-PILLAR) at the bottom are points where rust can become an issue. The front bumper bar is one of worst things to go rusty and they are expensive to buy new and second hand. If you can see any rust on the bar through the back of the slam panel it could be surface but it could be major. Expect to have to replace one unless it's been bought recently in the service history. You would normally only find this out if you have an accident and it snaps in half or you are towed and the towing eye snaps off (its happened to a few of us).

Have a test drive and check everything works, I've never suffered electrical problems but keep your ears open for any banging noises and check the oil and coolant. Coolant if bought from Toyota will be RED and ask for SH.

Hope that helps

Kateg28
26th March 2013, 12:52 PM
Must be because I never let it get below quarter of a tank, normally consider beforehand, so it normally takes around £30 to fill it back up.

jimi
26th March 2013, 01:10 PM
£30 is pretty much a full tank. They have small tanks. And I get around 180 to 200 miles but I drive it, ahem, energetically when conditions allow. The acceleration is my favourite thing so I explore that side frequently.

:o

I want to buy fuel where you do if £30 is a full tank! £30 is about half a tank of unleaded. Last time I was down to JAE (about 850 mile round trip) I averaged 38.5 MPG and can get more like 300 miles to a tank if I go easy on the acceleration.

mk1maz
26th March 2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks for this - really good info here

Now for the hard part - finding one for sale

Wish there was a 'wanted car section'

Kateg28
26th March 2013, 04:56 PM
Jimi,

As I said, I never let it get low as scared of running out as the needle sometimes seems to move very very quickly. So I fill it from just below half full but thought that was a lot lower than indicated.

And I think the maximum I have ever got in was about £35, never been over the £40.

Don't worry, I wont make any more comments about fuel capacity or technical items in future.

jimi
26th March 2013, 07:15 PM
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2013/03/toysoutpram-1.jpg

Chill, don't be so serious because I wasn't :cool: