PDA

View Full Version : mr2 members york area

darren j
9th March 2013, 02:28 PM
hello all
i have just recently bought myself a red mr2 t bar 1989 reg apart from some welding in the front foot wells and down the side of both front seats also the front towing came off yesterday after i gave it a little pull to see if a mate could tow it for me...
once i get it home to have a proper look behind the skirts and all the other hideing places lol i would be grateful if any mr2 guys on the forum and give it the once over and help point me in the right direction id be gratefull of any help or advice.

many thanks daz

kevs aw11
9th March 2013, 03:34 PM
Hi daz
welcome aboard
ah yes the front tow eye, the problem is the impact bar that is under the front bumper is prone to rust because of the foam insert, the bumper will need to come off, what you need is a diagram showing you where all the bolts are, all I will say is when you come to rebuild make sure you use new parts because you dont want to do this again, while its stripped down check your radiator for condition
kev

darren j
9th March 2013, 09:28 PM
cheers kev, this is my first mr2 been after one for years just recently got the money to buy one im a complete newbie to car restoration so i will be asking loads of questions once i get started on it

kevs aw11
9th March 2013, 09:45 PM
Hi
fire away with your questions someone will come along and answer them, you are lucky where you live the yorkshire members are a great bunch try and get along to the monthy meetings
kev

The Silver Fox
10th March 2013, 05:22 PM
Hi Daz,

Welcome to the club. I'm not too far from you in Tadcaster.

The first thing you need to decide is whether you are going for a full on restoration or a patch up and use job. I thought my restoration would take about six months and I am just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel six years later!!! Don't forget that many parts are no longer available from Toyota so you will have to rely on the many second hand bits advertised on the forums and e - bay.

There is a big Yorkshire weekend meet and drive planned for July 13/14 so you could use that as a target. There are plenty of local events in Yorkshire and the North West just have a look at the forthcoming events forums.

If you want to come over for a chat and have a look to see what I have done, just pm me and we can arrange something.

Good Luck

Douglas

darren j
10th March 2013, 05:32 PM
hi douglas,
i think it might be a patch and use job at the moment as there is plenty to be getting on withas i have no experiance of car restoration... at the moment i would like to get the welding done in the foot wells and down the side of the seats and get it mot, would very much like to pop over for a chat i'll pm you my details
cheers daz