PDA

View Full Version : Mr 2000

AW11 Forever
21st January 2013, 10:36 AM
Did anyone attend MR2000. From memory there were 1033 MR2's attended the TRL in Crowthorn. During the Gala dinner the night before the event I got to meet the chief designer of the Mk1 Akio Yoshida.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2013/01/229381_1013559619810_1814_n-1.jpg

kevin..in
21st January 2013, 12:05 PM
Pre dates my Mk1 ownership Mike I was at MR2004 though

coverco
21st January 2013, 01:01 PM
I wonder how many are still on the road?

Boondougal
21st January 2013, 11:43 PM
i didn't even know such a thing existed.

When i was working in Japan i did meet a chap who worked on the QA team for the Mk1, he said they benchmarked the bodywork on the Delorian!!! Which according to Wikipedia i have just learnt you can buy a brand new one assembled new from old stock from a chap in America.....

He said that his best ever job was when they first assembled the carina at the derby plant, him and his mate flew over from Japan and had a week to put 10k real life miles on the car.... they just drove around to all the places in Europe they wanted to visit making notes of ever little squeak, rattle and noise that they heard.

kevin..in
22nd January 2013, 11:43 AM
i didn't even know such a thing existed.

When i was working in Japan i did meet a chap who worked on the QA team for the Mk1, he said they benchmarked the bodywork on the Delorian!!! Which according to Wikipedia i have just learnt you can buy a brand new one assembled new from old stock from a chap in America.....

He said that his best ever job was when they first assembled the carina at the derby plant, him and his mate flew over from Japan and had a week to put 10k real life miles on the car.... they just drove around to all the places in Europe they wanted to visit making notes of ever little squeak, rattle and noise that they heard.
Ha Ha funny thing is my worst ever job is at that same place and the Delorean is a direct copy of a canadian car "the Bricklin SV1" which John Delorean bought the rights to the first prototype of back in the early '70s. Oddly again all the body panels of the Bricklin can still be bought, the were GRP though rather than the Stainless Steel of the Delorean

coverco
22nd January 2013, 12:03 PM
My father told me a few years ago that the press dies used to make the body panels for the Delorean were sold off as scrap after the demise of the company. They were supposedly bought by a fisherman in the province who used them to weight his nets. I don't know how true it is but if it is true then there will not be any more body panels made with those dies :D

EDIT: Google is great, it is true http://www.seanlynchinfo.com/DeLoreanProgressReport.htm

kevin..in
22nd January 2013, 12:19 PM
My father told me a few years ago that the press dies used to make the body panels for the Delorean were sold off as scrap after the demise of the company. They were supposedly bought by a fisherman in the province who used them to weight his nets. I don't know how true it is but if it is true then there will not be any more body panels made with those dies :D

EDIT: Google is great, it is true http://www.seanlynchinfo.com/DeLoreanProgressReport.htm
lots of stuff was just dumped at the local landfill site too, but there is a company in the US that has stocks of NOS parts as seen on Wheeler Dealers

No3157
9th April 2013, 04:59 PM
I remember MR2000 well... had my US LHD lightweight car at the time. Forgot my license, so couldn't do the quarter mile or handling events. :(
Great drive home through the legendary '13 bends of death', or A4074... an obnoxious Saphire Cosworth owner learned what a Japanese travel iron can really do, that day...
Got a local newspaper article somewhere; I'll try to get it scanned.