PDA

View Full Version : New to MR2s!

HowardB
15th December 2012, 09:55 PM
Hi

Thought I'd introduce myself, now that I've taken delivery (this afternoon) of what was Bill Hulme's red MR2.

I'm based in Leeds, have two young children and have always loved cars! Previous ones have been varied: MGB roadster, 1970 Lotus Elan DHC, 1972 Rover P6 3500s, Fiat Barchetta.

Earlier this year I bought a red 1991 Mk1 MX5 . . . and now the MR2: it's safe to say that I've caught the Japanese sports car bug..... Gonna have to stop at two though...

Although not in the North West region, I promised Bill that I'd come on a few of the nearer runs next year, so looking forward to meeting some of you on these.

Cheers, Howard

Kateg28
16th December 2012, 09:49 AM
Hello and welcome. Would be interested in what you think as a comparison of the mx5 and the mr2....

Leeds? Active bunch up there, lots of meets so you are in good hands

Gilles27
16th December 2012, 10:23 AM
Hi Howard, you've got a good car there. I think you'll find that the mk1 mr2 community is smaller than the mx5 community, but they are really great people. You should definetly join a run. I've been on the Peaks Run & the Lakes run and both were a lot of fun. I live close to Barnsley, and I know of a few other Yorkshire owners. Meets etc will be a bit quiet during the winter as many owners only tax their cars for 6 months and keep them under wraps during winter. I use mine as my daily driver, and it shows! Hope to see you in the spring. Drive carefully - remember we have no abs!

cabbydave
16th December 2012, 09:07 PM
You will find the mr2 so different to the mx5 as the mx wants to hang the back end out at the earliest chance it gets and its got power steering and a soft top. The handleing on the mk1 is so much better more like the lotus than the mx5. My daughter has a mx5 and ever since I went round a roundabout sideways when we picked it up as soon as its damp thats her showing off and showing the little boys up drifting round roundabouts. Wonder who she takes after hmmmm

HowardB
17th December 2012, 07:50 PM
Nice to hear from you all, thanks for the welcome.

Am looking forward to comparing the two cars - but might wait until it is a bit less wet and icy, before testing them properly!!

Thinking of joining the n-w Peaks run in May, and maybe going to Tatton.

Look forward to hearing from a few more Yorkshire members. . . .. ?

Rinzler
18th December 2012, 07:22 PM
Welcome aboard Howard8!.

You got yourself a really nice one by the sounds of it!. The MR2 looks stunning in red!.

Enjoy!.

julianw
19th December 2012, 12:52 AM
Hi Howard. Oh, no. I heartily recommend getting a 2 out in the ice or snow! I'm no stunt driver, i guess i just have some bad wiring up there somewhere, but it's cheaper than a day at a skid pan, less tyre wear than a track day and with any sideways fun at much lower speeds. I am lucky to have a bunch of untreated empty lanes to go at where i live though. Look forward to seeing you at the runs and the shows. It's what the club's all about.