PDA

View Full Version : New member with big problem!!!

LeeBarton
15th December 2012, 08:15 PM
Hi

I am what is popularly known as a 'wrinkly'. but woudl argue that I am not the normal type!!! I have raced bikes and cars since 1962 and currently own a 1988 MR2 MK1 which was going to be the basis of my new racer for the revamped 750M/C Roadsports Series, in Class C which is limited to 140bhp/ton. My car has a lovely engine with 265 cams and chipped, giving approximately 143bhp. Lots of other good mods, but having had the car delivered for preparation, they have found really bad areas of rot, mainly the A-pillars and inner rear arches, plus a few more less horrific!!! Not nice when trying to get back on track. It is more depressing as I originally worked on the formation of the Roadsports Series with the late, great Dave Bradley, who was then (1980/81) the Secretary of the 750m/c. I also sponsored the first two years of the series through my company.

Anyway, being on state pension, plus a secondary small income, racing should be out of my reach, but I have a cunning plan (which only works if I can get my car welded) to raise some funds without having to divorce (6 children, 11 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild), which isn't a good idea at my time of life.

Even at my age, I have an ambition, which is to be the oldest driver to win a race in a recognised series. My hero was Derek Bell and also Mario Andretti, who isn't much older than me!

I am also purchasing another MK1 for Christmas to use on the road, so I have conflicting aims and objectives. A member of the club (David), has been really helpful and is trying to find someone to do the welding for me. The car is currently in Ashford, Kent, but I have an A-frame and can deliver it if necessary (another problem I have is that I live in France, but not too far into the country and reasonably close to the tunnel).

My history is born in Bedford, lived just about everywhere, including the US of A where I raced sports cars, Formula C (3), CanAm and one very painful trip in an Indycar. Returned to the UK in 1978 and won the BRSCC Modsports Championship that year in my ex-Mark Hales Turner. Since then I have raced tin tops, mainly in the AROC series. Last race was in November 2008 when I had a massive accident at Paddock Hill in a deluge. (better not to discuss that!).

Am, very active, fit and ready to go - just broke too, so that curtails much of what I want to do. Must be lots of us like that in the club.

Am happy to talk cars any time and am good at setting up just about anything, especially older cars, but have recently set up Legends, Porsche, Alfa's and other cars for drivers in france and have a lovely track just 20 minutes from my home (Croix en Ternois).

Also restore old cars and bikes when I need money (which is most of the time), but getting too old and tired to do it too often nowadays (like most other things!!).

Have looked at the forum for some time now and felt it time to say hello, so HELLO!

If you're out and about this Christmas, have fun and a great holiday and New Year.

Lee Barton

cabbydave
15th December 2012, 09:31 PM
good luck if I had more space and time I would do the welding for you its just time and space at the moment and stupid shift I have to work 11am till 8pm gives me no time to do anything thats why ive been looking for a daily drive that I can enjoy driving and not going to be underneath every weekend

LeeBarton
15th December 2012, 09:36 PM
Hi

Many thanks for the reply. I am also considering sharing the car (if I am able to get it welded) in the new series, as one or two drivers are allowed plus one or two cars in each team, so perhaps an opening for someone in the club who wants to get into the sport.

Thanks again.

Lee

pistol pete
16th December 2012, 06:11 AM
I work in ashford..
I have a friend who is out of work at the moment who is a welder i can have a word if you want...
He would charge but not loads fo money...

What series are you looking to put it into?

LeeBarton
16th December 2012, 09:14 AM
Hi

That would be good. I can pay cash, but my budget is very limited. I would have to know how much it would be. The car is at my friends workshop near Ashford and can be seen there.

I am trying to get into the revamped Roadsports series in the 140bhp/ton class C. It is through the 750 Motor Club and I started the first series back in 1980, so it is personal to me.

I would appreciate a quick decision by your friend with a quote, as otherwise, I will have to travel over to bring the car back to France. I am well known in Racing and have won good championships in my time, but just want one more season before I hang up my race suit.

My email is lee.barton@orange.fr

Regards

Lee