PDA

View Full Version : Next years north west events.

Rick McRick
25th October 2012, 02:49 PM
Hi guys,

With the gloomy nights and cold weather looming in and signalling the end of yet another great year of drive outs, shows and camping, as ever the optimist, I'm already looking forward to doing it all again next year!

I just wanted to test the water on a couple of things. Now as I'm involved in a big way with the NW MR2OC I'd love to bring my two favourite groups together a bit more.

I'd love it if I could tag those guys on the Mk1 Peaks and Lakes run! In return and in light of Bill wanting someone else to take over the lead on the Wales run next year, it just so happens that we're putting together a route around Wales using some local contacts with great local knowledge and the Mk1s could join us on that.

I've also been chatting with Kris about adding a bit more of a social aspect to the drives. Maybe a bit longer for lunch with a bit more of a focus on a lunch time destination. Such as when we stopped at that car museum, it gave us all time to get out the cars and have a chat. What do the rest of you think?

I was playing with some dates spread out over the year for the above mentioned drives and away from other events and came up with something like...

March 24th
June 23rd
Sept 22nd

The other thing is the Oulton Park car show.
I'll be organising a stand for the NW MR2OC + friends so when the times comes to send off application, I was thinking it would make sense to request neighbouring plots, and maybe even send off the applications together?

I'll take no offence if no one is interested, just putting the idea out there?

Master-B
25th October 2012, 03:36 PM
I'd love it if I could tag those guys on the Mk1 Peaks and Lakes run! In return and in light of Bill wanting someone else to take over the lead on the Wales run next year, it just so happens that we're putting together a route around Wales using some local contacts with great local knowledge and the Mk1s could join us on that.

Makes sense!

I've also been chatting with Kris about adding a bit more of a social aspect to the drives. Maybe a bit longer for lunch with a bit more of a focus on a lunch time destination. Such as when we stopped at that car museum, it gave us all time to get out the cars and have a chat. What do the rest of you think?

This is definitely worth doing, its fine for those of us who know eachother from the meets & shows but we also get new people turn out for the runs who dont know anyone & must feel a bit like they have walked into a clique at times, especially when we all break off to different places for lunch.

I was playing with some dates spread out over the year and away from other events and came up with something like...

March 24th
June 23rd
Sept 22nd

No issues for me with these

The other thing is the Oulton Park car show.
I'll be organising a stand for the NW MR2OC + friends so when the times comes to send off application, I was thinking it would make sense to request neighbouring plots, and maybe even send off the applications together?

Definitely. Also Baz with the monster hilux wants to bring his club next year & asked me to give him a shout when we are putting our forms in.

julianw
25th October 2012, 03:55 PM
It's all good! Well done, sir

cabbydave
25th October 2012, 05:13 PM
Why not double up at Christmas as well Rick where you and the MR2 OC going this year? last years food that Mike organised was good.

Lakelad
25th October 2012, 07:40 PM
I agree with all of the above but I think it is important not to appear to be too much of a clique so as to appeal to encourage as many new people to join in.

Last year Bill set a date for a run or an event for every month from March to September and listed these well in advance (November as I recall) - this gave everybody a chance to get the dates in the diary. This made the NW the busiest region and this will hopefully encourages members to participate but by varying the starting points and the routes we covered a huge geographical region making it possible for members from Wales, the Midlands, the North East, South Scotland to all join up with a run.

I must admit that I have considered selling my MK1 a couple of years ago but I really enjoy the runs and that is really the main reasons I keep it. Yes you can go out for a drive by yourself but it just isn't the same as an early start, a quick dash down the motorway, meeting up with some mates and then 150 miles around some amazing roads in fantastic scenery!

I am quite happy to host a Lake District run and the North Penines run again next year if you want to add them to the calender.

Graham

Rick McRick
25th October 2012, 08:10 PM
Sounds great Kris, if when the times comes we can try and organise the three plots together that would be brilliant!

Dave, yeah, will start chatting with the Mk1 guys a lot more. No plans for the MR2OC Christmas meet yet, but I'll certainly post it over here.

Yeah Graham, surly goes without saying ;) Your runs are amazing! And I'd like, if no one minds, to bring a few guys from the MR2OC along too? The thing the MR2OC lacks are good drives out and I want to show them how you guys do it properly :D

Bill mentioned on Sunday that he was (or is very soon) organising next year's calendar so I thought now was a good time to mention teaming up. If we can then cool, if we can't then I'll still be joining you all :)

cabbydave
25th October 2012, 08:40 PM
Rick get Mike to sort the curry house out again. It may be a trek for a few folk but the food was good

bill hulme
25th October 2012, 08:45 PM
I agree with all of the above but I think it is important not to appear to be too much of a clique so as to appeal to encourage as many new people to join in.

Last year Bill set a date for a run or an event for every month from March to September and listed these well in advance (November as I recall) - this gave everybody a chance to get the dates in the diary. This made the NW the busiest region and this will hopefully encourages members to participate but by varying the starting points and the routes we covered a huge geographical region making it possible for members from Wales, the Midlands, the North East, South Scotland to all join up with a run.

I must admit that I have considered selling my MK1 a couple of years ago but I really enjoy the runs and that is really the main reasons I keep it. Yes you can go out for a drive by yourself but it just isn't the same as an early start, a quick dash down the motorway, meeting up with some mates and then 150 miles around some amazing roads in fantastic scenery!

I am quite happy to host a Lake District run and the North Penines run again next year if you want to add them to the calender.

Graham
Some how I was under the impression that I was the n/w organiser, for the MK1 Club but obviously not, As I have not been involved,
If you have ever been the leader as the front car as well watching where you are going you are constantly looking in your mirror for the last car so you don't lose
anyone, Not the easiest thing to do.
ask Graham and Gary, 10 to 12 cars in a convoy to me is plenty.
Should you wish to take my position you can have it, I only let mk2 to join us to make the numbers up.
This is a Mk1 club events, you are trying to take over and I disapprove, meeting up with the mk2 club is fine but not to include them in our runs.
Bill.

Master-B
25th October 2012, 09:50 PM
EDIT - sorry it looks like I missed Ricks edit & on re-reading the post the 3 dates are being suggested as adaptions of established mk1 events.

Wales run - I dont see an issue with this if the mk1club isnt leading it in 2013.

Lakes & Peaks - its down to the organisers to agree the scope of the attendance, so if Bill has a grievance it needs to be respected, however it does look like Graham has no issue with the suggestion.

2013 in general - can we get a list of nw shows, events, runs planned by both sides and agree whats what at the nw november meet - Bill/Rick? Its great to have interclub activity, but some things will need some alignment/compromise.

Do we need Tom & Tommys input on things - maybe there are some events in Yorkshire region we could go to. Didnt a new member offer to arrange a south pennine run next year?

There are tons of options open to us. It would be nice to freshen things up, thinking about what a revelation Oulton was this year. Off the top of my head theres Tatton x2, Oulton x2, Chomondley, Prescott, JAE, Silverstone & then also many many smaller 1 day shows we could potentially plan 2013 runs + camping around?

Rick McRick
26th October 2012, 06:45 AM
Really sorry Bill, taking over was the furthest thing from my intention, I was just it out there to see if it suits. You don't know until you ask the question, I asked and now I know. No offence intended so I hope non is taken.