PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 engine

BARNEY
11th September 2012, 04:21 PM
Hi, im after a complete mk1 engine in good condition and full working order, preferably with low mileage and service history if possible. Near Hampshire or able to send by courier would be ideal.

My HG has just failed and i thought a replacement would be the best option. Looking forward to seeing whats available. Cheers. Rob

BARNEY
11th September 2012, 04:32 PM
Oops, i meant to post this in the parts wanted section, sorry.

tommundy
11th September 2012, 04:41 PM
Sorted! :)

BARNEY
11th September 2012, 04:43 PM
Nice one. Thanks.

cabbydave
11th September 2012, 06:07 PM
If your going to go to the trouble of changing the engine you might as well jut do the head gasket on your own engine as its always worth changing a head gasket cam belt and water pump on any engine you don't know the history of.

BARNEY
11th September 2012, 07:45 PM
That is true, there will be alot of parts which will need refreshing on a replacement engine. I am in two minds about it all. I was just concerned about labour time and costs to strip down the engine only to discover it was non-repairable due to corrosion on the 4th port plus any other damage done. If i was lucky enough to find a good solid, low mileage, running engine with service history in a mk1 being broken due to poor bodywork then that would sway the decision. If not, i may have to take the risk of attempting the HG replacement or even sell the whole thing as a project.

cabbydave
11th September 2012, 08:55 PM
If you can contact pisolpete hes going to be taking his out soon and he is only in kent. I don't think theres anything wrong with his engine hes just going silly with his car like I am

BARNEY
11th September 2012, 09:04 PM
Ok i will, thanks. Im from Kent and go back there alot so maybe something could be arranged. Im still considering replacing the HG as you suggested. The car didn't overheat at any point and was only driven a few yards after it failed so maybe there isn't any serious damage and it may not even need skimming before the new HG is fitted?

Boondougal
12th September 2012, 04:42 PM
Its only an hour tops really to get the head off, especially f you have read up on it before and if you are a novice like i am (and assuming you have the option of another vehicle) then its a great place to start exploring the mechanics of the mk1. Its really common for the HG to go, if you search the various forums you will finds loads of info... you can at least make an assessment once you have had a look. I'm sure pictures posted here of the head and block faces will have you deciding the best course of action within minutes.

Obviously things need replacing like the gasket, head bolts etc which can soon add up but it sometimes the case that better the devil you know...

BARNEY
12th September 2012, 04:52 PM
Its only an hour tops really to get the head off, especially f you have read up on it before and if you are a novice like i am (and assuming you have the option of another vehicle) then its a great place to start exploring the mechanics of the mk1. Its really common for the HG to go, if you search the various forums you will finds loads of info... you can at least make an assessment once you have had a look. I'm sure pictures posted here of the head and block faces will have you deciding the best course of action within minutes.

Obviously things need replacing like the gasket, head bolts etc which can soon add up but it sometimes the case that better the devil you know...

Cheers for that. The more i think about it, the more i'm swaying towards attempting to fix the current engine. I didn't realise it would only take an hour to get to a point where i can make an assessment. Your right, better the devil you know. I can refresh bits like the cambelt, dizzy etc at the same time. My neighbour is a Toyota mechanic and has offered to help so i may give this a try and replace the engine if the damage is too severe.

julianw
12th September 2012, 11:17 PM
Hi Barney

Get stuck in!

'When you stop learning, you're finished!'

mk1 dal
13th September 2012, 03:36 AM
if you get stuck i have a very good engine for sale , with full service history .

gary

BARNEY
13th September 2012, 08:04 AM
Hi Barney

Get stuck in!

'When you stop learning, you're finished!'

Yes, i'm looking forward to learning more about the engine and becoming a but more capable with repairs and maintenance. I have some tools and a haynes manual so thats a start!

BARNEY
13th September 2012, 08:06 AM
if you get stuck i have a very good engine for sale , with full service history .

gary

Hi Gary, please can you pm me some details and price for the engine just so that i have some idea of alternatives. Cheers.

pistol pete
14th September 2012, 06:59 AM
Hi

As said earlier.. i have an engine that ill be taking out shortly....

let me know if you are interested cheers

BARNEY
14th September 2012, 01:57 PM
Hi

As said earlier.. i have an engine that ill be taking out shortly....

let me know if you are interested cheers

Thanks. Pm'd