PDA

View Full Version : K-Fest - Technical NW Meet - Head Gasket Repair plus BBQ, Beer & Camping

Master-B
20th August 2012, 09:52 AM
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/noir4moon93/ambitiousbutrubbish.jpg

Jimbo_Jet
20th August 2012, 10:06 AM
I can almost certainly make the 15th if that's good for everyone else?

Will the head have to be skimmed before the new gasket goes on? Must admit I've a lot to learn about HG's.

Is it worth considering a thinner TRD HG to increase the compression ratio for a mild performance boost while you're at it?
http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_20/Category_12/3192

Jimbo_Jet
20th August 2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah, cabby has offered to get a spare head skimmed for me in advance from the 1a block he has removed from the car he is converting to a 1.5

That's a good idea, does the block have to be skimmed as well? (Newbie alert!) And prob do the cam belt while the engine is in bits?

kevs aw11
20th August 2012, 04:12 PM
Hi
bill hulme is the man for the job did mine over two week-ends, he walks the walk and definitely talks the talk, I will always be he is debt, if you can get him to just come over in a supervisory capacity it will be a piece of cake and you know it will be spot on
kev

kevs aw11
20th August 2012, 04:39 PM
he will probably come to you all he needs is his tools does the car not drive at all
kev

cabbydave
21st August 2012, 07:33 PM
Did you get sorted?

Master-B
21st August 2012, 08:47 PM
Did you get sorted?

Compression 180 on all 4
Thermostat replaced
System refilled & bled
Seemed ok on short test drive

Took it up to Bills a week later to test on a longer run, all seemed normal, but on inspection a pool of coolant appeared at the front end of the car when the back end was jacked up & system pressurised - one of the pipe clips had rusted away to almost nothing, allowing coolant to escape. Removed old clip & replaced with a jubilee clip & all my coolant loss issues disappeared.

Ive chalked up about 500 miles now since, mostly spirited driving, no loss of coolant or any other symptoms

Next time you are under your car... or if you are losing coolant, before assuming the worst check your pipe clips folks!