PDA

View Full Version : hi from sunny donny

spike
5th August 2012, 08:34 AM
just a quick hello from me to itroduce myself ,
i dont have an mr2 yet but am on the lookout for a mk1 to do up , i normally have a project car in the garage but havent since i sold my last skyline ,
i have owned 3 skylines , 2 celicas , (gt4 st205, gt4 st185) mitsi evo 3, rx7 , and my firsy jap was a mk1 mr2 , it was 18month old when i bought it , d reg , god that ages me , i kept it till i moved to s.ireland (about 2 yrs) and have always had a soft spot for them but i went down the big horse power route , ( the last skyline i got up to 625bhp at the wheels , totaly undrivable on the road due to having to have tripleplate clutch that you had to launch everytime to get it moving .
anyway i am now after a nice unmolested mk1 , i dont mind a bit of rust (not basket case) engine needing work , i prefer this , i enjoy tinkering and have a good well equiped garage ( use to sell mac tools so have kept quite few ) but like most people these days empty pockets ( well empty but cant have a car budget like i use to )
so if anybody has one sat in their back garden let me know
thanks chris

tommundy
9th August 2012, 06:48 AM
Hi Chris,

Good introduction! Welcome to the Mk1 club!

You'll really enjoy getting back into a Mk1 MR2. There are always cars coming up for sale and people on here will guide you in which ones are best to go for.

Post up when you require anymore information.

Cheers,
Tom

Kateg28
9th August 2012, 07:42 AM
I also had an MR2 when it was 18 months old but it was a G Reg so I might be a little younger than you.....

I would love a skyline, I think they look amazing but not sure about a 625bhp one. A bit too much for me to enjoy I think.

I assume Donny is Donnington? Active region up North but then I think anywhere North of Birmingham is North so you could all be absolutely miles apart.

Keep a look out on here and if you see external ones advertised, let us know, there will always be someone able to help.

spike
9th August 2012, 08:22 AM
I also had an MR2 when it was 18 months old but it was a G Reg so I might be a little younger than you.....

I would love a skyline, I think they look amazing but not sure about a 625bhp one. A bit too much for me to enjoy I think.

I assume Donny is Donnington? Active region up North but then I think anywhere North of Birmingham is North so you could all be absolutely miles apart.

Keep a look out on here and if you see external ones advertised, let us know, there will always be someone able to help.

ha ha , donny , doncaster in gods own county of yorkshire :), yes the big power one i actually broke for parts after running it fo a year , it was impossible to drive on the road withut looking a complete idiot , triple plate clutch meant i had to launch it to get going otherwise it bogged down and stalled.
i have looked a couple just recently and been really dissapointed with peoples idea of good/great/perfect /not much rust , they deff have a differnet defination to it than i have , i am quite handy spaner wrangling but welding is a big no for me , and being an ex mac tools dealer i have quite a good toolbox in the garage .
so as i said anybody got one with a blown or seized or otherwise fubared engine let me know .
and thanks for the wlcome

Kateg28
9th August 2012, 08:51 AM
Is Donnington near Maldon? Of so, then have no fear of welding as there is a welding legend up there called Gary (Mk1Dal). You may find it useful to show us cars you are looking at if you want opinions. Also consider how long you are prepared to wait for the right car. They do come up and members often post up ebay / pistonheads / autotrader adverts anyway.

Any thoughts on variant (mk1a / mk1b / tbar/sunroof/neither) and colour?