PDA

View Full Version : Hi all!

muckyman
2nd August 2012, 12:57 PM
Hi all
just joined up to the forum.
Thinking about getting back into mark 1s as I had a few of them about 10 years ago and have a hankering to revisit them again.
Happy to have a fun car with good handling again, but without the power I've got used to recently (or the running costs).
In the last two years I've had the following....
MX5 mark 1 which I spent a fortune on with turbo, ecu etc etc. Was running 245bhp and surprised almost every car I came up against. Owned this car twice.
TVR Chimaera 450. What a car. the noise, the torque! Always an event.
VX220 n/a - superb handling, but a bitch in the winter with more ice inside than out.
BMW M Roadster (remapped) - fast as feck
Toyota Soarer 2.5TT - smoooooth
Celica GT4 - disappointing
Currently in a Audi TT (remapped) - a little dull to drive, but very safe

Got my TT for sale on pistonheads and have a few feelers out on AW11s. We'll see what happens
cheers
Michael

tommundy
9th August 2012, 06:46 AM
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the Mk1 site. Nice car history! I've got a TVR in my sights next, but it won't be for another year at least! I'm aiming for a Tamora or one of the other more modern chassis'd cars.

There's a lot of people on here that can help spot a good car for you. Depending where you're based in the country, one of us may be able to come and help you with viewings etc.

Post up when you want some more information.

Cheers,
Tom

Kateg28
9th August 2012, 07:37 AM
Ooh, nice cars. I really really like the VX220 but seems a shame about the ice in the inside. Be warned if you get a poor conditioned T-Bar then you may be in for more of the same but there are several fixes.

I don't think an AW11 will be as fast as some of your previous but it may be as quick if you understand what I mean. A properly set up one is mighty quick in the twisties but on a long straight, lots out there that will beat it. However, firstly you will still be grinning and secondly, the twisties is where the real fun is. Addictive fun they are.

Have you driven one? Where are you based? Lots of members are very willing to help and show you their cars to give you an idea of what you are looking at and at what price.

muckyman
9th August 2012, 12:41 PM
Ooh, nice cars. I really really like the VX220 but seems a shame about the ice in the inside. Be warned if you get a poor conditioned T-Bar then you may be in for more of the same but there are several fixes.

I don't think an AW11 will be as fast as some of your previous but it may be as quick if you understand what I mean. A properly set up one is mighty quick in the twisties but on a long straight, lots out there that will beat it. However, firstly you will still be grinning and secondly, the twisties is where the real fun is. Addictive fun they are.

Have you driven one? Where are you based? Lots of members are very willing to help and show you their cars to give you an idea of what you are looking at and at what price.

Thanks for the welcome.
I'm in St Albans (Hertfordshire).
I've owned a few AW11s in the past and a SW20 also, so I think I know the cars fairly well.
You're correct about it not being as fast as my more recent motors but its all about the fun first, and speed second. The AW11 was always 'fun' when I had them.
As for the VX220, the ice on the inside was basically due to the fact that almost everything was bare aluminium. It simply got so cold in there it iced up - as opposed to any water coming in from leaks. In fact it was very water tight. Deffo a summer car in my opinion though.

Kateg28
9th August 2012, 01:14 PM
St Albans.... I was there on Friday (in my Mondeo....). You are only around the corner from me, if you want to have a look at my car then let me know (it is an Supercharger and also in a rare colour but I get told off on here if I go on about it).

We might be having a meet in August at South Weald or something, have a look at the South East section and you are welcome to turn up and meet us even if you do not have an AW11. We would love to show off our cars and there are some lovely examples that turn up.

muckyman
9th August 2012, 01:40 PM
Ohhhhhh, mica red Supercharger.
Lucky lucky barsteward :)

Kateg28
9th August 2012, 01:46 PM
I know. I love my son more but it is a close call.

charged
9th August 2012, 02:10 PM
In in St Albans (well a little village outside).

I have nearly 300HP in my Mk1 (turbo engine converted), it goes alright : )

PM me if you need any help with local Mk1s

One of my old Mk1s is forsale here, its a good car:
http://www.driftworks.com/forum/misc-sale-private-sales/177369-mr2-aw11-78k.html

Cheers

Ollie

muckyman
10th August 2012, 08:46 AM
Hi Ollie
is this 'Ollie' from Sky Insurance?
I knew you had a 1.5 and were in the area. Not sure how I knew this, maybe from IMOC?
Were you not thinking of selling the 1.5 a while ago?

Michael

charged
10th August 2012, 09:51 AM
Hi Ollie
is this 'Ollie' from Sky Insurance?
I knew you had a 1.5 and were in the area. Not sure how I knew this, maybe from IMOC?
Were you not thinking of selling the 1.5 a while ago?

Michael

Hi Michael,

yes indeed.

I've got the same username on IMOC but dropped my commercial username a little while back.

I'd never sell the 1.5 : )

Cheers

Ollie