PDA

View Full Version : My new White Mk1 with pics!

BARNEY
20th June 2012, 10:35 PM
Hi, i bought a mk1 a few weeks ago and thought it was about time i put a couple of pictures up. This is my fifth mk1 and this is the best yet with regards to lack of rust. The underneath especially is mint. A lucky find really for what i paid. The engine bay was very grubby though so i gave that a clean up. I think the car had been stored for a while but has been revived and alot of bits renewed like the brakes, service items, clutch, cambelt etc. Ive had a couple of very minor issues which required the HT leads to be replaced and a new expansion tank cap and coolant bleed plug. There is also a mild screech when I turn the steering wheel which might be a bush which needs replacing but thats it (so far)! The few extras i have noticed are a Fujitsubo Legalis R exhaust with a rattly heat shield, Rays engineering Volk Racing alloy wheels with two missing centre caps (so expensive to replace)! Supercharger rear lights, which is a nice touch. Standard air box, not sure whether to get an induction cone filter or just leave it. Also, not sure what the 'Spec R' badge on the front splitter is about, the exhaust, chipped ECU or what? I will remove it regardless. Its on 100k miles. Full MOT and tax, no advisories. Standard leaky T-bar which i intend to sort out very soon. My previous car was the blue mk1 SC, i loved that but this also awesome to drive, handles very well and drives very smoothly. Overall very pleased with it and happy to have a mk1 again after regretting selling my last one. I am very tempted by a Woodsport V6 engine conversion as i think a nice fresh monster of an engine would be superb. Or i may just maintain what i have to a high standard. Anyway, i will update any issues, upgrades, projects or maintenance as i go. I will try and get to a meet aswell if i get the time. Im in the South East. Cheers. Rob

charged
21st June 2012, 08:57 AM
Very nice Rob! Bring it along to JAE..

BARNEY
21st June 2012, 07:54 PM
Very nice Rob! Bring it along to JAE..

Thanks mate. I'm pleased with it. Got the new coolant bleed plug with o-rings today. Does anyone know if it's as simple as unscrewing the old one and screwing in the new one? I was just concerned about coolant leaking everywhere! I would like to get to JAE but it's over 100 miles away and things are a bit demanding at home with two under twos to look after. Maybe something a bit closer or at a later date.

BARNEY
6th July 2012, 03:09 PM
Fitted the replacement coolant drain plug and that has completely fixed the problem. The only annoying issue now is the leaky t-bar. I've done the silicone + cling film job but it still leaks. I think that water is getting in at the corner which is at the front, centre of the t-bar and also on the side rubber trim at the side of the window. Pain in the arse but I'm sure I will get it sorted soon.

Engine-wise, I have a standard air box, does anyone know if the pipercross viper induction kit is worth the money?

On a positive note, i just booked tickets for JAE!