PDA

View Full Version : King Lead

BARNEY
12th June 2012, 10:02 PM
Hi, im getting a spark from the coil ignitor area which is causing hesitation on tickover and when accelerating. I suspect that this is the 'king lead' which needs replacing. Does anyone have or know where i could get a new one of these to fix the problem please. I have looked at Magnecor but dont think i need to replace all the HT leads, just the one where its sparking and its all sold in a set. The problem seems to be alot worse in the wet. Help getting this part would be appreciated. Or if anyone has had this issue and used an alternative solution, that would be handy to know. Cheers.

Woodsport
13th June 2012, 06:22 AM
If you are getting any sort of HT lead problem i would definitely replace all of them, along with your cap and rotor arm and plugs.

That might sound extreme but trust me if you have a faulty component it will cause the coil voltage to spike if there is too much resistance and that spike has to find a path to earth, which will often happen right at the king lead.

I have seen a faulty plug/cap/leads and rotor all do this, my advice would be to replace them all as a matter of service items.

BARNEY
13th June 2012, 07:53 AM
Ok cheers, I will replace the lot then. I started the car up this morning and there was no spark or hesitation, it was nice and dry though, strange. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to refresh all those bits anyway.

cabbydave
13th June 2012, 06:06 PM
I've got a set set knocking around if your ever over Manchester way

BARNEY
13th June 2012, 09:44 PM
Cheers for the offer mate. It's a shame I read that after just ordering a new set online! Thanks anyway. I got a set of 5 leads for £24! Was £7.50 delivery though. I got them from Import Car Parts. It looks like the dizzy cap has been replaced, looks newish (and red if that is any indication of a replacement)? I will just replace these HT leads for now and see what difference that makes. Then give the engine a big service next month.

BARNEY
15th June 2012, 08:10 PM
It turns out that it was just the king lead which needed changing. The other ht leads were newish together with the dizzy cap etc, it was just the king lead which hadn't been replaced for some reason and it was old and knackered and a different make to the other leads. I've just renewed all the leads anyway for peace of mind and because it was only 24 quid for a set! Everything is running well now.

Woodsport
16th June 2012, 08:21 AM
For £24 i just consider that good common sense, i hear of people just changing 1 spark plug because of a misfire, or 1 brake pad etc, that really winds me up. :)