PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: MR2 MK1 Supercharged (Manual)

JRhys
7th June 2012, 12:58 PM
Hi,

First post but im looking to get a supercharged MR2 MK1, manual + T-Bar...
So if anyone knows of anything then let me know :) im not to bothered by body condition as it will be taken to my friends bodyshop if need be.

Cheers,
Jay

Kateg28
8th June 2012, 08:23 AM
Hello.

Where are you based?

Why do you want an SC? They are very rare and would be interested why you want one over an N/A.

Have you had an MR2 (of any generation) before? This is definitely the place to be for all theings Mk1...... There are some experts (and wizards) on here. Not me, I know nuffin!

JRhys
8th June 2012, 10:14 AM
Hi Kateg,

I'm based in Eton/Windsor.

Looking for a supercharged over N/A primarily for the power increase, I will be keeping the car completly standard, Had a look at a couple of N/A's so far though so they are still an option as im not in a rush and im still reading up on MK1's to get my head around the different specs/models.

I used to have a MK2 turbo, but it was some time back and i now fancy MK1 as for me its a modern classic, love the distinct styling :)

from what ive seen so far it appears there are more supercharged autos for sale than manuals.

I'm sure i will have pleanty of questions to ask on here.

Cheers,
Jay

Hello.

Where are you based?

Why do you want an SC? They are very rare and would be interested why you want one over an N/A.

Have you had an MR2 (of any generation) before? This is definitely the place to be for all theings Mk1...... There are some experts (and wizards) on here. Not me, I know nuffin!

Kateg28
8th June 2012, 10:25 AM
Oh, Windsor. My dad lives in Maidenhead so I often bring my SC over there so maybe you can get a chance to see it. He has an NSX and I would say keep a look out for it but there are a couple round there.

There are rumoured to be only about 200 SC in country (and I know of the location of about 30) and about 1700 n/a so you may have a wait for an SC.

If you have never driven either you may be suprised on the difference between an N/A and an SC. The SC is more powerful and arguably faster but it is also slightly different to drive and I think the N/A is actually more nimble. The power band in the SC is smaller, the N/A has a much wider range and you can really use the revs for a fun drive. They are equally fun, just in different ways.

And then there is the mk1.5.......

Best way to get to know them is to turn up at a meet and have a chat with owners of each one. I might see if I can arrange one but I have limited availability at the moment.

charged
8th June 2012, 10:39 AM
There have been some horrendously over priced SC's being banded around recently, with patience you should be able to get a good one for £3000 ish. Most in the country are manuals though. You have the option of fresh import as well but budget maybe £5000 for this. If you go down the import route, try these guys: Japaneseusedcars.com, speak to Rees and say Ollie@Sky sent you his way.

Bare in mind a standard SC wont feel much quicker than an NA, you need to do the pulley mod to realise the extra power. As far as acceleration goes, I was left under welmed the first time I drove a SC.

Kateg28
8th June 2012, 11:03 AM
. As far as acceleration goes, I was left under welmed the first time I drove a SC.
Me too.
But then I had no floor.

One thing I do like in the SC over the N/a is the engine note. Mine is standard and I would not say it is quicker than my old n/a in real terms but I do admit that accelerating through the tunnels, it makes a terrific noise. yum.

Please note that Charged in the post before has a 1.5 which is &$"*(£$* fast. Another level to the SC.

charged
8th June 2012, 11:12 AM
Me too.
But then I had no floor.

One thing I do like in the SC over the N/a is the engine note. Mine is standard and I would not say it is quicker than my old n/a in real terms but I do admit that accelerating through the tunnels, it makes a terrific noise. yum.

Please note that Charged in the post before has a 1.5 which is &$"*(£$* fast. Another level to the SC.

It's not very fast at the moment as it's not taxed!

Kateg28
8th June 2012, 01:19 PM
Neither is mine.
Nor do I have in my possession a current MOT.

Should I declare the above to my Ins Broker?????

The Tax ran out last week, the MOT failed last Saturday, due to handbrake, now passed but haven't picked up the car yet. Getting it back tomorrow when I will have tax and MOT and all will be well.

Me thinks a celebratory drive will be good.
Now we have successfully hijacked this thread.

To the OP, keep us updated and post up possible ones and we will help. Maybe you might even get to meet us.

andrewaw11
8th June 2012, 01:51 PM
mine is an auto but i enjoy it! i mainly like the engine as its just a work of art really! so much going on! fun to drive! you wont be dissapointed

charged
8th June 2012, 02:18 PM
Should I declare the above to my Ins Broker?????

No..

neiljones308
8th June 2012, 03:12 PM
Hi Jay,
If your not sure about having a SC or N/A MR2, then i have a N/A you might like. It is a Manual T-Bar with rare perfect leather interior. Completly original with standard radio, working electric aerial, original paint on the wheel, unused tool kit etc etc. It has done just 62,000 miles with full service history, and all old MOTs etc, and the mileage chacks out with VOSA too. It's in Mica Blue. It is a very rare low mileage car. I have not decided 100% to sell it yet. It has 12 months MOT, but does need the rear arches doing. All the other places where they rot are perfect ( bottoms or A and B pillars perfect, bumper bar is like new), also it does not leak.
Send me a PM if your interested, or email me dircet on 'neilryanjones@hotmail.com'
Cheers, Neil

JRhys
8th June 2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks all,

I'm in contact with a couple of people regarding a couple of SC's so i will keep you all updated on how it goes :) fingers crossed.

Kateg: does you dad drive a dark purple NSX? ive seen one quite regularly round here, amazing cars!

Also what is a MR2 1.5? is it a custom engine transplant from MK2 turbo? or is it factory fitted? I did a little google on them but was left confused? intresting none the less though.

I will also keep a look out for organsed meets on here as it would be good to see some MK1s in the flesh.

Finally are there any specific issue I should look out for regarding the supercharger versions? ive read a little on N/A and it seems the mojority of issues centre around rust on the rear wheel arches / sills, and front cross beam (think its called that) and leaks from the t-bar seals.

Kateg28
8th June 2012, 06:19 PM
The NSX is scarlet not purple but has distinctive number plate. If an MR2 waves/flashes he will flash back.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/06/007-1.jpg

For 1.5, Ollie or Woodsport will explain properly but basically a Mk1 with a mk2 engine and not factory fitted. Woodsport does a lot of the conversions when he is not putting V8s in them.

As for issues, I think they are exactly the same. The usual rust issues and leaks. Tintops don't have the leaks.

You can always post links if you want any opinions. We may recognise car.

andyj
8th June 2012, 08:49 PM
OK hijackers...

Yes, after several NA's the SC just blew me away. Quite a lot more powerful in my eyes, even with standard pulley ...which also gives you similar mpg to NA if you don't go mad all the time. Mine feels very grippy out of corners ...LSD option is good.

I'd love to have an NA as well though. As Kate says it's lighter to drive and very satisfying to thrash.

I wouldn't dismiss body condition as it can cost quite a lot to fix properly but maybe your mate can give you cheap labour rates?

Get one with decent blower, gearbox, drive shafts, engine lid and rear light panel and you'll get some money back via ebay if things go wrong!

Can take a while for one to come up. Took me about 5 years to find ...then I had to restore it.

andyj
9th June 2012, 06:08 AM
Finally are there any specific issue I should look out for regarding the supercharger versions? ive read a little on N/A and it seems the mojority of issues centre around rust on the rear wheel arches / sills, and front cross beam (think its called that) and leaks from the t-bar seals.

The gearbox synchromesh goes after high mileage causing crunching changing gears fast. The supercharger is seemingly quite reliable over high mileage but the parts to rebuild aren't available and secondhand ones are a few hundred pounds if you can get them.

There's a good argument for the automatic version with a good body I think. Prices cheaper, more available, relaxed cruising and fast 0-30mph acceleration.

mk1 dal
10th June 2012, 12:01 AM
hi , to import a charger in descent condition and lowish mileage now will cost a min of 8 grand , they are a lot quicker than the na with the bigger pulley kit fitted and sound awesome on boost . they will command a higher price to get one, they are rare and special and i regret selling mine .i would have another and all the na's i have have since selling are a poor substitute to the charger .

gary