PDA

View Full Version : B-Reg (May 85) Oldie Project (Repair/Spares) For Sale

Baz L Zebub
3rd June 2012, 08:01 PM
Sad to post this, but our Ol' Gal (a White, sunroof-model Mk1A with Mk1B skirts/spoiler) has seen better days, and is now for sale as a project for anyone wishing to tackle it - or even strip it down for spares to rebuild another early Mk1A...

The underside is actually solid - the floorpan and suspension points are all good - but the usual Dissolving Tin Syndrome has got hold of the rear arches & rear returns, plus destroyed the front wings & valance halves (though those are obviously bolt-on swaps, so no aggro there). Today, as I made to move it across the drive, I found that the A & B posts are all pickling & holed at the lower joints - not a good sign, though all of these rust points are repairable for anyone with time & patience. Effectively, a job of welding work...

Interior's intact with no holes or wear points (even have the original radio-cassette!) - it's even got chrome bezels & dials...

Last time I started it (about 2 years ago), it started without fuss (having been stood for 6yrs without a prod!) and drove up & down the road without hiccup! Got all the gears without a crunch - in fact, I was all fired-up and willing to restore it from that point, but events and job have overtaken all attempts, so now it's for sale as described. Wouldn't start today with a used battery, but I'll have another crack with a better battery and a squirt or two of EZ Start (I want to be sure it still goes! ;-) )

I believe that it's one of the oldest surviving Mk1's registered in UK (May1st, 1985), and as such, I hope it's worth saving for history's sake - I just don't have the time or fitness to do it. We're the second owners - had it for 14yrs & used to be Area Club Reps for East Anglia - and we'd rather it goes to an enthusiast, than to the scrappy!

If anyone's interested & would like a chat, call me (Baz) on either 07768 728329 or 07806 972725 days/eves for a chat - no reasonable offer above scrap value refused!

(I'll post pictures ASAP - it's piddling down & dark, now!)

neiljones308
3rd June 2012, 10:46 PM
Hi Baz,
I am very interested in your MR2. I have got a few, and i'm looking for one to restore, so the 2nd one in the country sounds like a nice one to save. What is your postcode so i can see where you are.
Thanks Neil

Baz L Zebub
3rd June 2012, 10:50 PM
IP5 2FN - Kesgrave, Suffolk! Quite a trot from Wales, I think, but you're welcome to pop over if that's ok by you!... ;-)

Just bear in mind that it IS a project (although I think a worthy one), but it's mechanically & electrically good...

(Original post edited - may not be 2nd oldest, after all, but an oldie, all the same! ;-) )

paulsims2001
4th June 2012, 10:57 AM
Hi Baz
Do you still have the car?what sort of price are you looking for the car as I run two mr2s and I am currently restoring 2 1as so need some parts but may use as a project depending on work etc.
What is your postcode?
Regards Paul

Baz L Zebub
4th June 2012, 07:06 PM
Hi, Paul - still here (only advertised it last night! :-) ) - postcode in reply above yours... No reasonable offer refused, as long as it's above scrap value!

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/06/120604_172847-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/06/120604_172323-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/06/120604_172458-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/06/120604_172443-1.jpg

...And now, the grotty bits...:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/06/120604_172240-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/06/120604_172301-1.jpg

Not pretty, sure, but all superficial & repairable - or cannibalisable!

Master-B
4th June 2012, 07:21 PM
Hopefully someone will be able to save this car. Id hate to see such an early example broken, mine is from June 85, there cant be too many older. It would be great for it to be de-kitted to get it back to original spec.

Baz L Zebub
4th June 2012, 07:26 PM
Wouldn't take much - just unscrew the skirts & spoiler at front - but I think it'll need a tiny bit of metal in the panels, eh? ;-)

Oh - I forgot to say, it also had a new radiator & new exhaust system fitted just before lay-up (which pee'd off t' Missus, as it then sat there going nowhere!) - it isn't leaking water anywhere, nor did it rasp when last started (in fact, it sounded really crisp, after starting & settling from the flutters of 5yr-old stale petrol!)...

Essentially, either a damned good restoration base for an able person, or a very good source for (all) working parts...

neiljones308
4th June 2012, 08:43 PM
Hi Baz, I would love to have this MR2 (it exactly the same as my first one 19 years ago, a 'B' reg white Mk1a), but you are just too far away, 300 miles acording to google maps..................... and a 600 mile round trip is a long way with a trailer!!
Good luck with the sale, and i hope someone out there will restore it.
Thanks, Neil

Baz L Zebub
4th June 2012, 10:42 PM
No worries, Neil! Hopefully, someone will pick it up... ;)

Baz L Zebub
28th June 2012, 09:32 PM
Nobody interested in saving our Old Lady, then? Don't want it to go to the scrappy - I know the outside edges look a bit crusty, but it's sound enough to restore, really...

Baz L Zebub
14th August 2012, 09:37 PM
Looks like our poor ol' gal might be ending up in the scrappy, then! :-(

Come on, folks - somebody please save the ol' gal???

superwhite90
15th August 2012, 12:33 PM
Would you consider breaking it?

I'm only in Essex - could do with the skirt triangles, headlight covers, headlight eyebrows and front speaker covers...

Baz L Zebub
15th August 2012, 09:06 PM
'Fraid not, Superwhite - once I start taking bits off, the rest will be unsaleable, and the neighbours'll create holy hell; it's tough enough with one neighbour moaning about the amount of cars we've got, without being accused of breaking cars for sideline!

Whole car, £175, final offer...

Baz L Zebub
18th August 2012, 10:18 AM
Now SOLD! ;-)