PDA

View Full Version : silver t-bar £900

russthedude
25th April 2012, 05:09 PM
update: I'd literally just gone outside to start doing the work to tidy up the body when I got hit with some bad news, so car work is the last thing on my mind at the moment. I've also dropped the asking price to £800 including the tax til end of Feb 2013, which is a baragin because this car is by no means a scrapper, it really is JUST cosmetic stuff that needs doing. Mechanically and structurally she is sound, and reliability is unquestionable; I have been using her this week because my new car (a mk3 for my sins) has a leaking brake hose. So that's it, £800 and she's yours all-in, collected from Bournemouth.

The time has finally come for me to move on from MK1s, which means letting go of the silver dream machine. It's a 1988 MK1b t-bar, finished in super silver with leather interior. It has 152k on the clock, MOT until middle of september, and currently taxed until end of Feb 2013. There is a stack of paperwork/history with the car, but has had an engine and gearbox change since I bought it, so most of that paperowrk is just historical value now :)

I'll start of with the down sides, because that's the kind of guy I am....

t-bar still leaks, sometimes! I bought brand new seals (cost a fortune) but that didn't fix it. I keep it under cover and don't use it in the rain so it hasn't been a major issue for me in the three years I've had the car, plus it only seems to happen AFTER the car has been left out in the rain. It's ok driving through a monsoon, the water comes in where the t-bar glass meets the door rubber on the passenger side, and sometimes on the drivers side. I think the silicone trick would do it but as I don't go out in the rain in it, I've not bothered. Water WAS getting in through the bar down the middle of the roof into the roof lining, this has all been stripped off and sealed up and cured. So that's that. Oh, I chopped the roof lining off and binned it a couple of years ago, still haven't replaced it, it's a weight saving thing lol.

Drivers seat, is, you'll be surprised to learn, ripped. This only happened a few months ago and my plan was to get a good passenger seat off the eBay and use the leather off that, swap it over, punch holes on the correct side for the twidly knob and hey presto. Clever hey?

the front of the bonnet is bubbly (not personality wise, in appearance), the front wings have very SLIGHT rust coming through, but this is surface rust and no bubbles, so EASILY fixable (which is what I intend to do but will adjust the sale price accordingly afterwards). passenger rear arch is the worst area and has big bubbles going on, I intend to do this too but will leave until last. the two corners below rear bumper are also on the list to do.

The paint on the front wings and rear wings isn't very old but is a poor finished. I was right in the middle of doing some restoration on the bodywork when other priorities surfaced, so it as literally a case of dash down to halfords, have them mix up the paint, and then spray it on and lacquer it. the rear passenger side hadn't been touched whichis why it's the worst, the rear drivers side was fine besides some tiny spots, which haven't come back, and I guess the fronts could have done with some more anti-rust primer.

still with me? excellent.

time for some good stuff yeah?

underneath is in great shape, in the three years I've had the car only one small patch done for the MOT, and this was really only going to be an advisory, but they were punishing me for not doing the headlight alignment I'd promise to do the year before! So they failed me for that too lol.

The engine and gearbox were both replaced in 2010 after my old one spat a con rod through the engine block. Engine starts first time, everytime, without fail and without needing to be turned over for a lifetime. A brand enw clutch was put in at the same time as the swap, gearbox oil changed along with a shed load of gaskets, seals, filters and so on. I even had them fit a new waterpump for the hell of it, I know how to party. Engine has magnecor leads, K&N filter and a beautiful Jimi bracket. The gearbox does not crunch, and it does not pop out of gear. I put a new standard exhaust on shortly after the engine change too. The engine doesn't smoke (which can harm you and your baby), doesn't burn oil, doesn't overheat or misbehave in any way. Ultra reliable she is.

In January this year I fitted new discs and pads all round, and one new caliper on the rear. a few weeks gao I had the rear tyres replaced, so it has Toyo T1-Rs on all four corners now, the fronts are probably half worn I'd say. The multispoke alloys are silver, well they will be once I've had time to clean them, and they have Toyota locking wheels nuts fitted, for which I've got the key!

All electrics work, including the aerial, RARE RARE RARE £1,000,000!!!

I changed the spark plugs a couple of weeks ago and planned to do the oil and filter too but it started raining so I came in for hot tea. I always change oil and filter every 6 months so it isn't as though the car needs it, but I'll try to get round to it before selling.

So that's all I've got time to write for now, I've got exam revision to get done. I'm asking £900 for her, which I think is a fair price considering the amount of tax left and that besides the cosmetic jobs the new owner won't need to spend money on consumables (brakes, tyres, clutches, exhausts, servicing etc) for a long time. I've left the insurance running on it until the end of May so that it can be driven rather than me neglect it since getting a new car, and it means it can be driven legally by people with the relevant fully comp insurance to test drive/drive home.

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/04/IMG_1836-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/04/IMG_1885-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/04/IMG_1882-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/04/IMG_1883-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/04/IMG_1835-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/04/IMG_1833-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/04/IMG_1838-1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2012/04/IMG_1884-1.jpg

feegle
29th April 2012, 02:38 PM
Interested in this russ, just trying to work out how to get some funds......

russthedude
29th April 2012, 05:07 PM
Get one of your kidneys on eBay, that should get some cash raised :D

I'll get some pictures of the underside in the next couple of days to show what it's like under there. I might send the tax back tomorrow for a refund on the ten months, but re-tax it for 6 months while I'm there, so that would knock 4 months tax off the price (about £60-£70?) and there'd still be 6 months tax. Would be a shame if I had to break her because she's more than road worthy, she's solid and ridiculously reliable, just needs some cosmetic tidying up.

BARNEY
30th April 2012, 02:14 PM
Nice car. Your inbox is full. Free it up and we may be able to strike a deal.

russthedude
30th April 2012, 06:40 PM
doh! inbox is now empty :)

russthedude
5th May 2012, 12:50 PM
price lowered, first post updated with info

russthedude
12th June 2012, 07:12 PM
i've only had one peson who seemed seriously interested but they're too far away and can't collect it until august or september, but when he came to look at it said it was by far the best one he'd seen, so it looks like this one is going to be broken, because as much as I hate seeing them broken for spares when they're solid underneath, I'm not going to sell it for peanuts while I'm saving to buy a house :(

I'm not going to be able to start

greg
14th June 2012, 11:45 PM
i've only had one peson who seemed seriously interested but they're too far away and can't collect it until august or september, but when he came to look at it said it was by far the best one he'd seen, so it looks like this one is going to be broken, because as much as I hate seeing them broken for spares when they're solid underneath, I'm not going to sell it for peanuts while I'm saving to buy a house :(

I'm not going to be able to start

i like your car..do u still have it ? is it driving ??

russthedude
15th June 2012, 08:56 PM
yep I've still got it, it's 100% driveable, I haven't had chance to start stripping it yet. it even has a full tank of fuel!