PDA

View Full Version : hello im new

marc d
31st January 2012, 02:48 PM
hi, ive just bought myself a nice red f reg mr2. ive just registered to the site in the hope of some tips and advice on looking after my mk1 mr2. i dont have any pictures to upload as of yet but its on my to do list. so far ive had to replace the alternator and drive belt but unfortunatly i was given the right alternator but with the wrong pulley which had 3 grooves instead of 4 so it ate my new belt which snapped and cut through 3 wires on the blue connecter block :(. should be getting the right alternator today with a new belt lol. i also need a new throttle cable as mine has started to fray so i bought a decent used one from ebay for £30 but i would like to know what involves in fitting this? havnt managed to have a look at where it goes yet but how hard is it?

thanks

kevin..in
31st January 2012, 05:44 PM
hello and welcome to the club
biggest problem in fitting a new cable will be undoing the m6 bolts holding the under covers on, most if not all will be rusted and will shear off. invest in a 5mm drill bit and an m6 tap, fitting the cable itself is simple
alternator sound like a honda/rover one, same ND unit different pulley
oh and make yourself known to the NW area group, top bunch of lads

Master-B
31st January 2012, 06:20 PM
Hello Marc, my Mk1 is living in a lock up on your side of the water at the mo waiting for the sun to come back out.... where about on the wirral are you mate? As Kevin says come and say hello at the Feb meet if you can, mostly we just talk about nothing, have a drink (non alcoholic officer) & eat crisps - is there a better way to deal with lazy sunday afternoons?

Kris

marc d
31st January 2012, 09:05 PM
thanks for the welcome guys. im from bromborough. only had the car just over a week. ive sorted the alternator now with the right pulley on lol. yer ill look into going the monthly meets. will be taking the mr2 anyway as its my daily driver

kevin..in
1st February 2012, 08:55 AM
wow an actual mr2 at a monthy meet, what next

superwhite90
1st February 2012, 04:26 PM
Marc I am fitting my replacement throttle cable on friday so will take pictures of whats involved and post em up.

Master-B
1st February 2012, 05:48 PM
wow an actual mr2 at a monthy meet, what next

viva la revolution!

marc d
1st February 2012, 10:18 PM
Marc I am fitting my replacement throttle cable on friday so will take pictures of whats involved and post em up.

thanks alot mate will be a massive help. next on to-do list is timing belt, tensioner and water pump as well as fix the blow on my downpipe gaskets

Kateg28
1st February 2012, 10:39 PM
Welcome to the club. There is a thriving community up North and hopefully you will become part of it